Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Labor and Delivery Forum

pumping to induce labor at 36 weeks

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Is it safe to pump at 36 weeks to induce labor? I am really ready to have this baby and am on bed rest. I wanted to know if I could try pumping to help induce labor since I am now considered full term. IF I do go into labor at 36 weeks would the baby be okay? Would he be able to come home when I did or is there a high chance of complications?. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 29th, 2008
Community Volunteer
No this is a very bad idea. There is a reason why the baby need to stay inside for 40 weeks. At 36 weeks a baby is considered premature and if you induce labor by any method, your baby could spend long days and nights in a NICU. Term is actually 37 weeks onward, but even still, the baby's lungs may be not fully developed. I think it is more like 38-42 weeks that is term, no closer.

My baby was born at 35 and a half weeks with an emergency c-section from placenta previa, and I will assure you those 14 days visiting the baby with all those tubes and needles and tests going on was heartbreaking and not worth the trade off of the last few weeks of pregnancy.

Besides, pumping at this stage isn't healthy for your breasts. I know it's hard, but you'll make it and having a healthy baby is well worth the end....take it from someone who has been through almost every scenario and has 6 children.
|

replied February 29th, 2008
Experienced User
take mom in her shoes advice
mom in a shoe is brilliant in advice.

and is a gorgeouse yummy mummy Smile
she helped me through alot
love you mom in a shoe
|

replied March 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I agree! Not a good idea. Your on bedrest and stay there. Your baby will come when it is good and ready. If you go beyond 40 weeks, then it is up to your OB to decide to induce or not. You have a big chance of harming your unborn plus the fact, I believe the last month is very important for you babies lungs to develope.
|

replied March 24th, 2008
methods for breaking water
i am almost 39 weeks pregnant and i have been in labor since friday morning, but my water has yet to break..what can i do to stimulte my cervix???i have tried sex and caster oil..will pumping my breast help???
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Have you contacted your OB about this? With this going on for that long, I would say that it isn't true labor....maybe it's Braxton Hicks? I have never heard of using castor oil. Be careful what you use.

Sex is the only thing that you can use to stimulate your cervix. Do not have sex after your water has broken.

Pumping your breasts isn't going to help and will be very uncomfortable. Nipple stimulation can help labor along and in some cases start labor, but you don't want to do this without the OK from your OB.
|

replied March 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Don't loose you plug!
I have a cute story for ya mominashoe and all. I think it was in my mid third trimester. My husband and I were making love and my plug broke! I had to go to the hospital where my OB met me. He said very authoritativly " Sex, is not a marathon, go easy will ya please, she is pregnant." I remember that till this day. So just be careful in that respect. I was alright, but forbiddin sex untill the end. Marc came ou fine at 7lbs 8 ounces.

Just for a laugh,
Carrie
|