Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Extreme thirst, frequent urination but not diabetes

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
I have experienced extreme thirst and frequent urination for about a month now. Have been to physician. He tested for diabetes, kidney and liver function. All tests were within normal range. Where do I go from here?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Kristie24
|

replied April 12th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Sorry we haven't answered sooner. Those symptoms could be a few other things. Are you still experienceing them? Did you have a complete physical or just testing?
|

replied January 19th, 2009
extreme thirst, and urination not diabetes
Hi I have the same symptoms and also can not find out what it is.

I have heard it could be thyroid.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks
|

replied January 21st, 2009
extreme thirst and frequent urination
what other diseases are connected with extreme thirst and frequent urination besides diabetes
|

replied January 24th, 2009
extreme thirst and frequent urination
ahhh!!! why are there no answers for this with so many questions? This is the exact problem I have and its driving me crazy.
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2009
Supporter
Some common causes for extreme thirst - or polydipsia - are:

Water and salt loss. This may be from sweating, diarrhea, vomiting or lack of water.
Certain medications.
Too much alcohol, caffeine or salt.
Possible medical conditions
Your thirst may be a sign of something more serious. You could have one of many conditions, including the following:

Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar)
Diabetes
Diabetes insipidus (an imbalance in the body's water level)
A kidney disorder (such as Fanconi's syndrome)
Dehydration
Liver disease (such as hepatitis or cirrhosis)
A bleeding disorder (such as intestinal bleeding)
Burns or an infection
A head injury
A psychological disorder (Schizophrenia or obsessive compulsive disorder may cause compulsive water drinking.)
Medications
|

replied March 9th, 2009
extreme thirst, and urination not diabetes
I have the same thing and just got my blood tests back - all normal. Does anyone else have any answers for what this could be, but better, how best to get rid of the thirst? I drink a ton of water and fluid w/electrolytes which solves the problem for about 5 minutes, then it's back and worse at nights which is the worst when trying to fall asleep then stay asleep.
|

replied March 10th, 2009
thirst
Did you get tested for Diabetes Insipidus (not related to DM)? Extreme thirst, frequent urination especially at night, dry hands ect...
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2009
Supporter
You could also be prediabetic, like me. I drink three liters of water/ fluid a day, easily, and still remain thirsty. On my doctor's advice I'm trying to get off some of my weight so it doesn't develop into fullblown diabetes.
|

replied April 17th, 2009
I have the same exact symptoms. I got tested for Diabetes but the lab tests showed that I did not have it. I was also tested for Diabetes Insipidus but I haven't received the test results for that yet.
The test results did show that I have a Thyroid Imbalance (hyper)so the doctor put me on medication. I've been taking the medication for almost a week. Last night was the first night in 2 year that I didn't get up to urinate (I usually get up between 6-15X a night and I go,on average 12 times during the day). I don't know if the frequent urination was caused by the thyroid imbalance...I am hoping so! That means better sleep for me! I hope tonight goes just as well. Good Luck and I hope they find out what's wrong. I know how horrible it can be having to urinate all the time!
|

replied November 25th, 2012
not sure if any one has looked back on these posts but I have had all test done for thirst tiredness frequint urination and sore legs like I had bricks on them or something I get exhausted quickly. no libida dry skin.ect ect but had all test done gtt live function kidneyenzymes vite B all I could have imagined but none I am in the drs eyes very healthy . I went back and yes I could have cried as to think I had waited sooo long. I am now being tested for diabetes insipudis and I also have a low acting thyroid in the making also low blood pressure. so if anyone could pleeese post if they have had the same symptoms and found out what it is that would be amazing and great??
|

replied February 27th, 2013
Hello Melissa! I was just wondering if you found out what this was? I was tested for diabetes, thyroid and liver and said my kidneys look good. Not diabetic. I am being referred to a urologist and go from there..
|

replied November 8th, 2009
I am also having the same problem for the past 10 months.. i'm on homeopathic medicine..,but suddenly i see that the symptoms are coming back...
I have already been seen by a Urologist..Dr.Zelich Frischer Stony Brook Physician..He never asked me to get tested for Thyroid or Diabetes Insipidus..
I don't have any disturbance during sleep though..
I'm 25 Male 5'10" 120lbs.. So underweight
|

replied November 9th, 2009
Okay it's been about 6 months since I replied but I just wanted to update. I did not have diabetes Insipidus just the thyroid imbalance. The frequent urination increased. I went to a urologist and was told I had an overactive bladder (as if I didn't know that...I wanted to know what was causing it). I was prescribed Dextroll (I think that was the name) and billed for not solving my problem. I didn't feel right about taking that medication so I did some research and found out that Splenda causes these symptoms. It has been known to cause bladder problems. Just a teaspoon a day can make you sick! I only use about 1.5 teaspoons a day. I decided to cut Splenda out of my diet and within 3 weeks I was completely back to normal. NO more urinating, dehydration, no more being super thirsty.
|
Users who thank Dugsmom for this post: gah 

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2012
Experienced User
You might want to go for a brain scan...just incase ..my friend kinda had a similar problem(im not going to details private matter)..please fix it now before its too late! or atleast just make sure there is nothing there
|

replied March 2nd, 2013
It might be sign of Diabetes Insipidus (not related to Diabetes Mellitus).

If it is hot at your local place, it can be a sign of severe dehydration.

If you are taking some drugs (like hydrochlorothiazide) they can cause such problems.

Other metabolic conditions (thyroid or pituitary gland) could be a reason too.
|

replied July 21st, 2013
I am also worried as I have been urinating at least 8 to 10 times a day and am always thirsty. I don't have diabetes but have recently had a urinary tract infection which was treated with some antibiotics. I have High blood preassure and have been on a medication called Atacand 4 mg two times a day. I did not have any real urinating problems when I was on Atacand once a day, it has been ever since I have started taking it twice a day that I got a UTI and subsequently the frequent urinating and extreme thirst. Could it be my Blood pressure medication causing the frequent urination? Ayone going thru this problem?
|

User Profile
replied September 19th, 2013
excessive urination
I am in serious misery with urinating so much. I am diabetic, HBP, and alot of physical-painful things and I am prone to swell and retain water so without fail I take water pills daily just to keep the swelling almost manageable. Nothing has changed in my medication. I am incontinent and can only go 45 minutes between changes of totally full and seeping adult diapers. But then one of these posts hit home! I never get enough liquid in so I have also begun drinking more tea. But I am a southerner and like it sweet. I dont eat much sugar but I DO use alot of Splenda, have since it first came out. It was a miracle sweetener for me as I dont miss the sugar at all. I about a quart of tea I put in two scoops just a bit smaller than a coffee scoop. I even made the remark that I know tea is a diuretic but has never made me urinate like this. I am about 100lbs overweight and have recently been hospialized for severe infections in my legs causing deep burns in my flesh down both legs. I still have it and its been exactly a year next month. But I have been drinking about 3/4 of a gallon a day, however I dont feel thirsty. That uses a lot of Splenda. Well I am going to stop sweetening my tea today and if the flows settles down. I went about 20 years without sweetening my tea so it just wont be too hard. If it IS Splenda, this will be a very hard situation as it is my primary source of sweet in everything I eat or drink. Wish me luck and I will post in a week or so what has happened!
|