Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV from needle ?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
A couple of months ago i was at the beach swimming and in the sand underwater i pricked my finger on what i believe to have been a needle is it possable to get HIV.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Get tested ...It isn't very likely but it may be possible. It never hurts to get tested. It is free and easy at your local clinic. Just a mouth swab will do it. I am sure you are fine but it is always better to be safe. It will put your mind at ease. Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2008
Supporter
Sorry about all that. As you get tested for HIV as Homerx has recommended, also get tested for Hepatitis C. HIV dies from about a minute to half minute after it hits the air. I doubt there was any HIV alive on the needle. I wish you well.
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Good point, Muthoni...I didn't think about hepatitis.
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2008
Supporter
Thanks Homerx. I know that Hep C can live for 6 to 8 weeks outside the body. Nasty virus.
|