Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Time sperm reach egg (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
how long does it take for sperm to reach the egg.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mabel
|

replied February 26th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Good question. I don't know.

After the sperm meets the egg, it can take the zygote 4 days to implant on the inside of the uterus. Then is takes another 10-14 days for enough hormones to build up for a pregnancy test to be positive.
|

replied February 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It depends upon where the egg is. Ovulation may not have occurred yet, making it a longer time for sperm to reach the egg.

Here is an answer:

Question No. 3326 :
How long does it take for the human sperm to reach the egg? How long can sperm and egg remain viable for fertilisation?

Once sperm are deposited in the vagina, they must travel through the cervical canal, through the uterus, and up to the egg in the upper third of the oviduct. Spermatozoa can reach the distal uterine (Fallopian) tube within 15 minutes after semen is deposited in the vagina. The vast majority of spermatozoa never make it. Many are destroyed by vaginal acid or drain out of the vagina. Others fail to penetrate the mucus of the cervical canal, and those that do are often destroyed by leukocytes in the uterus. Half of the remainder are likely to go up the wrong uterine tube. Finally, only about 2000 spermatozoa reach the vicinity of the egg.

Experiments have shown that freshly ejaculated sperm are infertile; they must be present in the female tract for at least 7 hours before they can fertilise an ovum. During the passage through the female reproductive tract, the sperm undergo a process of capacitation that makes it possible to penetrate an egg. The membrane of the spermatozoon head contains a substantial amount of cholesterol, which toughens it and prevents premature release of acrosomal enzymes. Fluids of the female reproductive tract slowly wash away cholesterol and other inhibitory factors in the semen. Most spermatozoa are fertile for a maximum of 48 hours. An ovum can stay in the uterine tube for at most 24 hours before it becomes incapable of undergoing fertilisation.
source
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Wow!!! Very interesting...thanks for posting Future!
|

Extremely eHealthy
You're welcome. Thanks for the thanks, lol! Smile
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2008
Experienced User
aye it's meant to be quite fast because sperm die quickly
|

replied November 18th, 2009
Help!
PLEASE HELP ME!!
I have a question: My boyfriend and I were messing around on October 30th. He put it in and moved around a little, but pulled out before ejaculation. We always use condoms except for this time. I have heard you can get pregnant from pre-cum. I take birth control every morning. My last period was either the week of October 4th or the week of the 11th, I didn't keep track. My periods are always irregular, but I'm waiting on mine to come right now. What are the chances of me being pregnant?? I'm so scared. Please help me!!
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
duuhh! you pregnant.. for sure! good luck to you girl! and good luck telling your parents..
|

replied October 14th, 2012
Not really true...pre cum can get a woman pregnant but, if she takes her bc every morning than its not very likely she is pregnant
|

replied November 19th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
Re: Help!
worriedgirl813 wrote:
PLEASE HELP ME!!
I have a question: My boyfriend and I were messing around on October 30th. He put it in and moved around a little, but pulled out before ejaculation. We always use condoms except for this time. I have heard you can get pregnant from pre-cum. I take birth control every morning. My last period was either the week of October 4th or the week of the 11th, I didn't keep track. My periods are always irregular, but I'm waiting on mine to come right now. What are the chances of me being pregnant?? I'm so scared. Please help me!!

You take birth control and have irregular periods? That is odd because you'd know exactly when your period was if you take birth control (ie, 21 or 28 days, since that is how long the pill pack is).

If you are taking birth control, you wouldn't ovulate. If you don't ovulate, pregnancy wouldn't be an issue.

Use condoms in addition to your birth control pills.
|

Ok I don't know why my periods are irregular either due to the fact I'm on birth control. I have always wondered why they never come at the end of my pack. Does that mean the birth control isn't working?!?!?!
|

Especially eHealthy
No, it doesn't mean it isn't working. Continue taking your birth control as prescribed but discuss it with your doctor. There might be a better form of the pill for you to use.
|

replied April 21st, 2011
late period
hi some question to ask here

the last time i had sexual intercourse was on 27th of feb. i usually didnt use condoms or any birth control and pulled out before ejaculation. i had my period on 16 of March as usual. but i still do not have my period for April. i had missed my period for 5 days. is it possible that i'm pregnant?
TQ
|

replied May 5th, 2011
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS MILMOC !! CAN SOMEONE PLZ ANSWER HER QUESTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM VERY SCARED I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF YOU CAN GET PREGNANT EVEN THOUGH A GUY PULLS HIS PENIS OUT BEFORE HE EJACULATES.
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2011
Experienced User
The question remains: Did he pull out in time, or he skipped a drop or two before pulling out?
The worries should cross your mind before the act, worrying afterwards, only causes anxiety and other problems! Wink
TC. T. rainbow
|

replied June 13th, 2011
i had sex just this past Saturday/Sunday (11 & 12). he ejaculated in me and tonight , he's bringing me the plan b one step pill. is it possible for me to still get pregnant? my period isn't due until the 23rd or 24th of this month.
|

replied June 13th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Take it immediately!
|

replied June 20th, 2011
Help!
Ok so my boyfriend and I had sex 13 days after the start of my period (August 23) and I know you ovulate around 14. I took next choice about 1-2 hours later. Then I took the second pill 4 hours later instead of 12. About a week after taking it my breast became sore. It's now June 20 the day I am suppose to get my period but I am irregular. Sometimes I get it every four weeks sometimes five. I've been having cramping and bloating so I feel like I'll get it but I'm still freaking out. Is it possible I'm pregnant?! Please help
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
could I b preganat?
This past Saturday my boyfriend had ejaculated already couple times during the day, later that night we were in shower together clearly he washed everything and while messing around he put it in and I took it out withing minuets, is it possible for me to be pregnant? My last period was the week before halloween and lasted upto November 1st. Please let me know, normally we don't have intercourse it was first time something stupid like this happened.
|

replied December 20th, 2011
help me
I had sex the same day I came off of my period. The condom broke. I took the morning after pill 12 hours later. All of this happened on dec 4th. On the 19th of dec, the doc gave me a blood pregnancy test which showed up negative. I got on the depo shot the same day (yesterday). Could I be pregnant, and it just isn't showing up yet?
|

replied February 8th, 2012
Re: Time sperm reach egg
Question:
Me and my boyfriend has been trying for a baby for over 6 months now, and I had my period Jan. 30 through Feb. 4.
I calculated my most fertile days to have sex and based on symptoms
Of ovulation whuchbis menustral like cramps which I been having
I think Im ovulating.. I know its not my period because it just went off..
Could I be ovulating?? I took so many pregnancy test still nothing.
Why haven't I became pregnant yet.. don't know what else to do?
|

replied February 11th, 2012
It's way too soon for you to be taking pregnancy tests! Most women ovulate between 12 and 15 days after the first day of your period, so if you started on Jan 30th, then you probably haven't ovulated yet, but today would be the 13th day and may be ovulating or getting ready to ovulate. You took the pregnancy tests way too soon! Good luck!!
|

replied April 19th, 2012
Ovulation
The average woman does not ovulate on day 14 and start her period on day 28. I do not ovulate until around day 21 and my period start around day 31 - 35. If you are truly TTC I would suggest first tempting ( BBT ) This is your waking temp, doing this each day will show you first if in fact you are ovulating (There will be a spike in temp) and when it occurs. It could simply be that you are not BD'ing on the right day. You can also purchase Ovulation Predictor Kits, you will test each afternoon, and they will show positive when ovulation is coming.
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
12 >>
Tags: sperm, Pregnancy
Quick Reply