Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

PAP Smear Frequency

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
If you always have normal pap smear results do you continue to get a pap smear every year?? Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 26th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Well, it depends on where you live. Some places say once every 3 years, others say once every year. If you are sexually active and/or change partners, I would personally suggest once every year. I do it just for the hell of it.
|

Especially eHealthy
I get one every year just for the heck of it. If you change partners it's always a good idea. Some places say 3 years, some places say 1 year.
|

Experienced User
Eiri wrote:
Well, it depends on where you live. Some places say once every 3 years, others say once every year. If you are sexually active and/or change partners, I would personally suggest once every year. I do it just for the hell of it.

I've been monogomous for years & years. My uterus tips way back so the cervix isn't where it should be. Just getting a little tired of the doc digging around to get the job done . . .
|

Especially eHealthy
Like I said, some gynos suggest every three years, I think I've heard every five, and I prefer to go every year. It's up to you. Age is a factor, too.
|

Experienced User
It also depends on family history. I have to have one every year as there is plenty of cancer in my fam.

My uterus is tipped way back too. Funny though. Doc said that it would be harder for me to conceive....5 babies later!!! I did not take his word as birth control. Just that when i went off the pill, i got pregnant right away.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Pap Smear After Having Been Diagnosed with HPV
Spoke to my GYN yesterday because after my initial Pap Smear came back with HPV with the high risk types and being advised to have a six month repeat test, he said that if I can have four pap smear tests every six months which come back within normal range, then I can drop back to once per year.

He said it all depends on the strength of the immune system of the patient involved.

Agree with Eiri though. Check out the partner if you can. Since they don't have a test for HPV for men, they for the most part don't have a clue.
|
Tags: PAP smear
Quick Reply