Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

sudden paralyzed feeling in body

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I have been dealing with anxiety disorder for the past few years I guess. It really didn't become too much of a problem until several months ago when I had my first panic attack and was taken from my job in an ambulance because I thought that I was having a heart attack. Things ever since that night have been a lot more difficult for me. Anyway...I have developed a new symptom that I am assuming is due to my anxiety disorder and I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this. The first time it happened I was at work and I was talking to a guest and all of a sudden I felt paralyzed. I don't really know how else to describe it. It was like I wanted to move my body but for a brief second I couldn't. It was a really scary thing to experience. For the rest of the night I went through the same thing. It was like the muscles in my neck were really tight or something and I was having trouble moving my head and neck. Does anyone else have any idea what I'm talking about??? Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 11th, 2009
sudden paralyzed feeling in body
hi i know it was about a year ago when you posted about the paralyzed feeling while you are awake but i would like to say that i get these while i am sleeping well half and half it when i have just dropped to sleep i cant move any part of my body iit scares me so much i try to scream and nothing comes out i had 2 last night and they make me more and more scared everytime i have one i think i might go and see my doctor but i feel stupid
|

replied June 22nd, 2012
You basically just described cataplexy!! You need to go to a sleep doctor who is a true expert in narcolepsy (other docs are terrible at diagnosing it) and have him diagnose you! been there. =)
|

replied June 22nd, 2012
Oh, just reread your post and see that it is happening when you fall asleep. Google Sleep Paralysis. It is also a symptom of narcolepsy.
|

replied September 13th, 2009
Brief body Paralization...!!!!!
Hi,
My boyfriend just started experiencing the same thing and i don't know what to tell him .
It scares me so bad !!!!.... will someone please help me find advice !!?!
|

replied October 12th, 2009
This happened to me last night- while driving. I somehow got myself pulled over without using any body parts. Luckily my boyfriend was in the car. He rushed me to the ER and they concluded it as a panic attack. I am so frustrated by this diagnosis. I was not stressed or anxious or panicking about anything. In fact, it was my birthday! I was a little tired but definitely not stressed. I want to know what is going on in my body. I am terrified to get in the car by myself for fear it will happen again. I literally had no control over my body, my hands were numb and locked into a weird position. My knees locked up, my whole body was tingling. Anyone else ever have something like this happen?
|

replied September 23rd, 2010
Nocturnal anxiety attacks?
I've been having the same things happen to me. At First I thought it was night terrors. But then it started happening before I even started dreaming, It was like I dozed off, then I couldn't move, my heart was racing and it was difficult to breath. I've had a similar experience with a seizure also. I'm not sure how these things connect. When its happening I feel nervous or anxious, like when your excited/ nervous for something the next day, and you can't sleep. It's sort of like that but it feels bad.
|

replied September 29th, 2010
I have the same thing happen to me when i am driving. Last night i went and had a sleep Apnea test done and that is one of the questions they ask you. I think mine is brought on by not sleeping well at night. It has been going on for years now but hopefully after they treat my sleep apnea i will post and let you know if it is still happening.
|

replied October 30th, 2010
I felt this feeling for years. It's anxiety they say, but it's not! I know in my heart it's not anxiety.
The feelings I get in my body comes from something going on in my body. My body turns into cement, like an unpleasant silence on my brain functions and body feels like it shutting off. It feels like my neck tightens up. I some times feel a heat feeling that starts in my mid section of my stomach and it travels all the way up to my neck. Its funny because I fight it by trying to run away from it physically. Sometimes hanging up the phone on who ever I'm talking to or leave the room where it begins, weird things to do but I don't know where it's coming from, so I try to find what could stop it. I found that placing a cold pack behind my neck seem to shock the event and thus helping to stop the feeling from getting worse. I tried changing my diet. I tried being more spiritual in my life but it seem to find me again and again. It gets so bad I start planning my day in advance in case it happens again. I sometimes try to get things done around the house in case it comes again or I die from it. I pray we all find healing from this strange feelings of body silence. God bless all and please help us Lord and if anyone finds out anything please help us.

Please help!
|

replied June 3rd, 2011
i have had anxiety for years and every time im finally comfortable with my anxiety it has a new symptom.
Like at first my anxiety would start with shortness of breath so i taught myself to do deep breathing. So i had my anxiety under control. than some other new symptom would pop up and i would learn to deal with it. my latest has been this feeling of being paralyzed! how nice. not really. im feeling so hopeless now.
|

replied October 11th, 2011
I suffer the same thing, u guys need to look up fight or flight! It's a nature human reaction, see a tiger, u can do 3 things, fight it, run or freeze up! The reason u freeze up while still awake is so when the tiger eats you, u feel no pain! I've been going to therapy for years now which has educated me! It's all due to anxiety which is in your sub conscious! It's some trauma that happen in your life that u never got over!
|

replied March 14th, 2012
my attack
this happend to me a few week's ago. me and my boyfriend smoked some weed something ive done many times before and watched dream house i remember at first my eyes where getting blurry and i couldnt focus on the t.v. and my teeth wanted to grind together so i stuck my finger between my teeth to stop that then i started breathing heavily and was trying to calm myself down went for a shower and once i got out my eyes started rolling into the back of my head and then my neck started tightening up and i couldn't stop looking up. my neck kept going backwards to the point where i was not only stressing about what was happening to me but worring about me snapping my neck and being paralyzed for life or even dying from it snapping off i didnt know what to do i kept telling my boyfriend to call the hospital and he wouldnt i went for 2 more showers cuz the only way i could keep my neck from spazzying out was to lay in the tub on my knees and my hands holding my head i thought i was having a stroke or something i was more scared thinking i was going to break my neck and be paralyzed for life then to die after 2 hours my boyfriend gave me a sleeping pill and telling me its a gravel once i fell asleep i woke up 20mins later having to ask my boyfriend if that really happend i was fine but boy did my spine and back hurt for a week. the only reason i could find anything out about this was because i watched intervention today and a guy had these attacks when he was younger where his eyes would roll into the back of his head and he would grind his teeth . im not totally sure that what i experianced was a panic attack or a nerve not working right in the brain but it was so scray
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
from what you described, it sounds like you had a seizure. You should call your doctor about it before it happens again. Good luck.
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
Anxiety Attacks, recently morphed to partial paralysis.
same thing here, partial paralysis on one side or another. Right now its my right side, feels like my arm leg neck and face are numb on that side. having trouble getting my hand to do anything, my leg wont stop trembling, and my throat is numb so it feels like its swelled up and I cant breathe. Scaring the hell out of me, and it keeps happening randomly. Afraid to leave the house for fear of what might happen if this happens while i am driving or something...I lost my job over this particular strain of panic attack, and this is killing me. Is there anyone who knows how to stop this???
|