Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

Ivf Injections

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
Hi everyone,
my husband and I are in the middle of our first (and hopefully only) ivf cycle. I am currently taking the subcu follistim injections. I will have to take im progesterone injections daily the 2 weeks between the embryo transfer and the pregnancy test. Then if i'm pregnant, I will have to have daily im progesterone for 8 weeks.

I was given some emla cream with my medication kit that is supposed to numb the injection site. I was given the impression by the nurse in our ivf class that this would numb the tissue underneath the skin, so basically you would have a painless injection. I have tried this with the subcu injections but am still able to feel most of the injection except for the actual stick, which is really no help because that's not the part that hurts. I am absolutely terrified, because I can't imagine going through 2 months of im injections and being able to feel it each time. Has anyone used this cream and will it actually numb below the skin? Maybe i'm not using it right or something. I'm keeping myself awake at night, dreading those injections. Thanks for any info!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper musicaldreamer1
|

replied June 24th, 2009
omg I wish I never read your post, I am about to start IVF next week and I am also having sleepless nights dreading the injections.
i was told that it was less painful than a blood test, isn't it true? I have been delaying IVF for years cause of my injections phobia.
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2009
Hi! im considering ivf too. Also injection fobic! Hope you get something better for the pain. Wish you the best. Keep us posted.
|

replied July 9th, 2009
i will be starting IVF soon too - maybe we can all keep in touch on the shots. The original post was from 2004 so I hope everything turned out ok for her! Good luck to all!
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2009
Great idea TTCinco!

Lets keep in touch.Where are you having yours done?
|

replied February 9th, 2010
IVF Injections
Hi, I'm starting IVF this month as well. I just received our kit of injections and watched the dvds. I'm terrified! I didn't receive any numbing medication. I heard you can put ice on the site to numb it. I'm so afraid!
|

replied November 4th, 2010
I V F The Dreaded Injections lol
Hi everyone just thought i would put your minds at ease i have alwasy been very scared of having needles and the thought of having to do this every day twice a day was very distressing. But fear not the first couple you are bound to be nervous of but i have found that using ice really helps it takes the edge off. It does sting a little when the menopur goes in but as soon as its in is as soon as its out just keep breathing an keep your muscles relaxed you will get used to it xx I will be going in for egg retrevial on the 15th November 2010 and i am SHITTING MYSELF to be honest but im sure it will be ok any advice love to you all xxxxx
|

replied April 6th, 2011
started injections
ive started the injections and im scared of needles i get my o.h to do it and i just close my eyes lol it hurts a little bit but u just got to think it will be worth it xx
|

replied June 20th, 2011
Don't stress!
Just had my very first injection and it was not bad at all. Made my husband do it because I was nervous, but I'm sure I'll be able to do it myself tonight. It just stings a tiny bit, no big deal at all! Good luck Smile
|

replied June 21st, 2011
My husband always did my injections because I couldn't make myself stick myself with a needle. Honestly the lupron and stim shots (like menopur follistim etc) do not hurt. I had him do mine above my hip bone tummy area, in a fatty area. The shots are not muscular shots (the progesterone in oil shots are those are in the butt) so these shots are not with large needles and really just pinch a little. Now the progesterone shots sting, not horrible I promise I would be honest if they hurt badly but for me I got used to the progesterone shots which I began after the fertilized egg was put back inside me. I was pregnant (twins!) and had to do those progesterone shots for 8 weeks then the body will begin producing progesterone on its own to support the pregnancy so shots can be stopped. Sometimes it takes 10 weeks depends on your body.

I did have my twins a year ago and only did ivf once. It worked for us, but yes it is emotionally taxing for sure. But as far as the lupron and stim shots those really were not bad. Especially if hubby does it and then you don't have to poke yourself with a needle. That seemed scary to me.

Good luck!!!
|

replied September 15th, 2011
How many embryos did you transfer?
|

replied September 15th, 2011
How many embryos did you transfer?
|

replied September 6th, 2011
tired of people COMPLAINING
just take the bloody injections.. stop complaining if you want a baby then you would and will be willing to do what ever it takes.. FAR OUT PEOPLE
|

replied October 17th, 2011
There is a difference between people complaining, bellsashi, and people wanting to connect with each other over a common concern. Daily injections are often something new (and scary) to women undergoing IVF unless they also have diabetes, allergies, etc. We are simply wanting to connect and share our experiences, as women, here... not complaining. All of us want a baby, and in the end and will do whatever it takes. We don't need any criticism here.
|

replied September 6th, 2011
tired of people COMPLAINING
just take the bloody injections.. stop complaining if you want a baby then you would and will be willing to do what ever it takes.. FAR OUT PEOPLE
|

replied March 26th, 2012
I am starting ivf injections on April 2 and I am so nervous! There are so many meds and so much to mix that I'm more worried about keeping it all straight than anything else! Anyone else feeling overwhelmed?
|

replied March 30th, 2013
hi, i just started my lupron shots sub-cu. not bad at all, never hurt...
but i'm scared with the progesterone shots, just looking at the long and thick needles makes my stomach upset. Sad
ladies, just ignore belshashi, she didn't get pregnant that's why she's acting bitter. Smile
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
User Profile