Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

swollen tonsils and uvula causing excruciating pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I read through the "Sore Sore Sore Throat" thread and couldn't agree more with most people...

Swallowing is the most excrutiating pain I've ever felt in my life. All I can get down is pure liquids, at the most. Broth, water, gatorade...Even yogurt won't go down anymore since the hole I have to breath and swallow through is so small. I can't talk, can barely swallow, and my breathing is labored. When I take a sip of water it takes two or three little swallows before it all goes down and each one hurts more than the last.

Doctor gave me prednisone for the swelling, three times a day...I struggle to get the pills down and they don't really seem to be helping. My tonsils are swollen and covered in gunk. They're touching together and you can hardly see my uvula which is swollen also. Even the roof of my mouth, at the back, is all swollen. I've had this sore throat for over a week already (about nine days.)

How long until the swelling starts to go down? What is the longest anyone has gone with the swelling being real bad?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cowgirlthunder
|

replied March 14th, 2009
i dont know
im experiencing this right now.......Docs say its viral 4 me & could last 5-7 days........i was only givin pain meds that dont work..........this is still mistery 2 me
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2009
I (literally) feel this persons pain
Hope to God this person got through this. I'm in the same boat right now. I'm a healthy, fit 35 year old man and have never felt this much excruciating pain and discomfort my entire life. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. It's been 7 days now, the right side of my throat is more whitish and painful than the left. It actually does not look bad as some of the google image shots I've seen... but ohhhhh the pain. Went to the ER 2 days ago and they started me on penicillin, one pill every 12 hrs for 10 das. The pain is still horrendous, meds have nothing for the it. Drinking, breathing and swallowing causes me to cringe. I know it sounds crazy, but it's gotten me closer to God. I'm texting ex girlfriends, talking to myself and saying things like, "if I ever get through this alive"... it's just crazy. I find myself moaning and groaning and just praying for a more "comfortable" tomorrow. So far it has not come Sad I know it's bad, but my friend gave me a dozen vikes, and I have been taking a half a vike every 6 hours. People have scolded me about this, but honestly, this pain is so intense, I would take morphine if you gave it to me. I cannot just deal with it. I am a weightlifter and do a lot of heavy labor, I am used to pain. But this is just misery, torture. I don't know how much longer I can survive like this Sad
|

replied May 7th, 2011
that must suke doseit
|

replied July 31st, 2011
im on the same page swollen uvula and tonsils but to mak ematters worst the whole left side of my face and head and neck hurt i could swear i have an ear infection from this whole ordeal if i lay with my right side facing down the pain starts all over again i HAVE to lay with my left arm under me for some reason. the pain will settle down alot sometimes then i turn my head the wrong way and its back thumpin me in the noggin. this morning i had tried eating a can of hamburger loin vegitable soup and couldnt down but more than a few bites check this out i took the bowl of soup got a fork drained all the sauce/broth stuff into a coffee mug and added water put it in the microwave and added a little siracha hotsauce it went down amazingly and i felt like my old self but this only lasted for about an hour or two until i moved my body the wrong way and i was back at it. it feels like ive got a little thick saliva right behind my uvula just waiting to come up but every time i try to hock it out it hurts like hell and my nose is clogged... i agree, worst than any natural pain and noone should hav eto go through this
|

replied December 9th, 2011
I feel the same way.... I want to just get my tonsils out so ill never have to worry about this pain again =(
|

replied February 8th, 2013
help me asap please
I had my tonsils out and still have this. my uvula is swollen and I can't breath,eat,drink or take my medication I'm worried that I will choke on my uvula in my sleep is this possible.
|

replied February 8th, 2013
I had my tonsils out and still have this. my uvula is swollen and I can't breath,eat,drink or take my medication I'm worried that I will choke on my uvula in my sleep is this possible.
|