Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

Molluscum Contagiosum (Page 1)

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
Hello, I am a 22 year old male and I have molluscum contagiosum. I have done alot of research on this condition and am still a little confused. I spoke with a dermatologist and she said that this is a self resolving condition and not to worry because it will go away on its own, or I could have them burned off with liquid nitrogen which could be painful. However, I have also read where this condition can be associated with very serious health conditions. My last girlfriend as well as my current girlfriend and myself were all tested for stds over the course of the last several years, all were negative, so that eased my mind about anything serious. I just still don't know how I could have gotten it. I have about 20 to 30 lesions total, mostly on my lower abdomen and in the groin area, there are just a few on my thighs. The lesions do appear to be going away on their own. I have heard that once you have molluscum you build an immunity to it over time and once it is gone it is gone for good. Is this true? Any insight from someone familiar with this condition would be much appreciated, I worried myself sick about this now I am just trying to find the answers I need.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Anthony82
|

replied May 10th, 2004
I've Had It Before
I had to go to the dermatologist twice to have them removed. I had about five. They were sporatic, near my panty line and on my butt. At first I thought they were pimples and I would try to stick them with needles to drain them and needless to say, nothing came out. After they were there for a couple of months I made an appointment. The first time I went the scraped them out. They used a tool to get the "root" of it which looks white. The second time I went a different doctor put the liquid solution on them. I do not recommend the solution. I became very depressed after that treatment. What it does is make you warts, which is what they are, bloat up until they burst and the "root" is naturally pushed out. It looks so disgusting. I was so ashamed and embarrased that I wouldn't get physical with my boyfriend and he was really confused. This is a viral infection and is contagious. I don't know how I got it, but I do know that children get them too and it's not an std. I haven't had any in two years.

Good luck, I hope this helps you.
|

replied December 23rd, 2011
I was able to beat MC within a month of diagnosis. I had it two months prior to knowing what it was. The key things are aggression and attacking it as soon as you are diagnosed. Forget all the fancy treatments and doctor appointments. All you need is a sewing needle, tweezers, cotton swabs, hand sanitizer, liquid band-aid, band-aids, athletic tape, tea tree oil or Apple cider vinegar, and a disinfectant such as hydrogen peroxide. Keep in mind my method is painful with an emphasis on getting rid of this ASAP before it can spread itself which I believe is key, and I am a 25 year old male with an extremely healthy lifestyle. I'll tell you my whole experience with it just for fun, but jump to Paragraph six for my treatment method.
Sometime in October I started to realize what I thought were pimples growing in my pubic region and genitals. I ignored them for weeks until I realized they weren't going away. I tried acne wash on them and they remained. In the beginning of December, as some grew large and they weren't going away I knew I had to get this checked out. I had about 10 on my pubic region and two on my shaft. I swabbed the "pimples" with tea tree oil and most shriveled up and the core became exposed just like a white head pimple.
I went to the VA E.R. because my primary care doc left. The stupid doctor had no clue, diagnosed me with herpes and punched my bore twice to test for several STDs that I wasn't showing any symptoms for. Last time I assume just because someone is a doctor means their intelligent or good at what they do.
I knew I didn't have an STD because I hadn't any sex for seven months and that was with a monogamous partner. I googled some things and found out within about ten minutes I had mollusum contagiosum. I must've gotten it either from a swimming pool or the gym.
I went to a dermatologist who diagnosed me with MC and tried freezing them off which did nothing. After a few days I decided to take matters into my own hands because I'm impatient, I just started a relationship with a girl, and naturally wanted to get sexual. Also, I was going to MEPS soon to reenlist in the millitary and I knew it would cause a problem there which it did.
So I soaked them all in Apple Cider Vinegar overnight which didn't seem to do much. I know others had luck with ACV but tea tree oil worked better for me. First I dabbed the whole infected area with hydrogen peroxide. Then I individually removed each lesion by first making an incision with a needle then ripping them off with tweezers. GET ALL OF IT. They will bleed a lot. You must immediately swab the cut with a disinfectant then put something on it to absorb the blood. Also, make sure to disinfect the tweezers and needles after each lesion.Once the heavy bleeding stopped I covered the wounds the best I could. Of course this area is very difficult to deal with because you have the pubic hair, and it's not easy keeping a band-aid or tape on your penis. Liquid band-aids work well. Just a heads up if you have ones on your penis it is VERY painful, it made the STD test feel like a vacation.
It's also important to take care at all times to not itch and not scrub infected areas in the shower or with a towel afterwards. Rub liquid soap on them and pat them down with paper towels to dry. Use hand sanitizer after every time you touch area.
I did have a minor secondary outbreak of one or two however I believe this happens to pretty much everyone no matter what method of removal you use. I just repeated the process.
Here I am three weeks out from my derm appointment and the MC seems to be completely gone (knock on wood)I am now paranoid and attack anything that resembles a pimple on my body. But aggression is the key to beating this before it spreads don't listen to doctors that tell you to wait it out. Unless you don't mind having MC for months on end. When the lesions touch another part of your skin it spreads- so remove the lesions!!!!!
|

replied June 17th, 2012
Ok this may work for a grown adult but not something that would be recommended to use on a kids
|

replied January 12th, 2005
Hi,

i just found out that I have it too - I have done a lot of research online. From what I have read on multiple websites, you do not build an immunity to molluscum, even though the body does eventually fight it off. You can become re-infected if re-exposed. The most common and successful way to get rid of them is to have them frozen off with liquid nitrogen, which is best to start with right away before the infection spreads. Don't pick at the lesions, you can spread them to other parts of the body too.. Wash your hands frequently.

Also, molluscum is considered an std now in the adult community, as with adults it is usually spread through sexual contact.

I just ordered an alternative treatment for it which I am going to try - got if off the web and boy I hope it isn't a scam. Molluscum - check out this link. It sounds plausible to me, I am very familiar with the anti-bacterial/fungal properties of silver. I was not previously aware of it's anti-viral properties, but it certainly seems plausible to me. I have also changed my diet - eliminating dairy and wheat, as people commonly have allergies/sensitivities to these two things, and the immune system can be compromised. In addition I have been loading up on the anti-viral supplements - echanimide anti-viral formula and oil of oregano always work wonders for me when I am sick. Hopefully they will boost my immune system enough to help me get started on kicking this molluscum too.

Either way, I would recommend getting the lesions treated somehow rather than just leaving them to heal on their own. Otherwise, you might have to wait years for them to go away, although they eventually will.
|

replied February 3rd, 2005
Molluscum
I've recently been told I have the molluscum too. The dr said the same thing to me, "they'll go away on their own". Trouble is, i've seen that when one goes away another one comes up. I'm also very tired and wish I could just rest all the time. Anyone else feel easily tired too?
|

replied April 12th, 2011
well i dont know how your brother could have gotten this but from my research it doesnt get through clothing, although it can grow in moist areas so if for whatever reason your house hold alot of moisture like always feels muggy or humid or something maybe possibly it could happen? no one seems to know specifics about this thing. otherwise im 24 and have had it for like 8 months, tried different home remedies with no luck, my boyfriend has been really understanding, but at the same time, we have difficulty. just so you know, using a condom ONLY protects the other person if your lesions are ONLY directly on your penis where the condom would cover, but this is a skin virus transmitted by direct skin to skin contact so if its on your stomach an groin area and those areas rub against the other person during sex you can and will most likely give it to them which they may not even realize for up to six months before they really know what it is. i only had 2 bumps at first so i thought mine were just ingrown hairs so i had sex frequently before i realized something was up. i regret that because i dont yet know if ive passed it on. what im saying is if you do have sex you have to do it very carefully not to touch your stomach(or groin) to hers, in which case you may have to tell her what the deal is. and you should anyways you wouldnt want to put someone else through this
|

replied August 26th, 2013
Nothing at home works my dermotogist prescribed me veregen 15% ointment and it worked in 2 months
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Molluscum
I've have managed to keep it at bay using protein shakes and calcium supplements. What is you experience / thoughts?
|

replied June 15th, 2005
Re: Molluscum
I found out I had it after I was pregnant. I didn't have any signs or anything before I got pregnant. The doctors told me that when your immune system is down like with pregnancy, really sick, or aids/hiv that is when you get out breaks. I could have had this for a long time and not have known it till now.
But does anyone know if it is safe to have a vaginal birth? The doctors told me yes, but from what research I have found it can be spread and I don't want my daughter getting it. I also don't know how I got it or when for that matter. My husband doesn't have it either.
|

replied August 24th, 2011
Me too!
I realized I had it after coming home from giving birth. My son is now 6 months and we both have it. I'm not intirely sure if it's because of a vaginal delivery. It doesn't bother him at all as far as I can tell but I was also told by my OBGYN that it can be transferred by surfaces where other infected people have touched. (I.e. The patient table your vagina comes in contact with so many times while you're pregnant.) My doc also informed me, not realizing this, that he had other patients being treated for it about a month before me. This is probably why we both have it and our husbands don't. I have had a couple burned off but in my opinion it's not worth it. It's extremely uncomfortable and they come up again in the same area. I haven't found anything that gets rid of them yet but I did find that frequently changing my razor head and buying a new scrubby for the shower helped.
|

replied June 25th, 2009
molluscum contagiosum
i am 21 years old and have had molluscum for over a year. ive gone through all the experiences and tried plenty of treatments. i didnt even know what it was for the first 6 months. zymaderm helped to stop the spreading for the most part but did not rid my body of it. ive tried having them froze off but requires multiple visits. taking a bath in a little bit of apple cider vinegar has been helping. it causes the bumps to "head", which is when the white core is pushed to the surface and is then able to forced out which is followed by inflamation and eventually all is gone. ive just ordered a dermaseptic. which introduces silver nitrate into the skin. its a new product and i will try to give a follow up on how it works. just some advice on how to maintain further spreading: i change my boxers every morning and every night, i never dry my groin area with the same towel, never EVER scratch the bumps, and i put zymaderm on every morning and every night. Molluscum is something that should not be under estimated. i watched my one bump turn into 3 then 7 then 20 then a number that i did not even want to know. it makes you feel like you are in the dark all by yourself. my advice is to get zymaderm and stick to the treatments. i think it was $25 a bottle and it will last for a long time. my infection has greatly improved my relationship with god because i pray every night. i suggest that to everyone. i wish good luck to all and i hope this post helps you. good luck, w
|

replied June 26th, 2009
I had Molluscum Contagiosum for a total of 10 months. I decided to not burn them off or try any magic potions. I decided to not burn them off because I concluded it would be harder on me emotionally to feel as though they were gone when I knew other bumps would replace the old ones. I did use liquid band-aid on them every two days or so because I was terrified of leaving the virus on toilet seats and what not. When the virus was starting to clear, it started one bump at a time, getting red and then just sort of drying up and receding.
|

replied August 22nd, 2009
I am a 22 year old male. I have molluscum contagiosum and will be going to the dermatologist in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know details about treatment. How long it should take the bumps to disappear after freezing?
|

replied September 10th, 2009
I noticed my first one 16 months ago. I am now 8 months pregnant and have more than ever( because your immune system is compromised durring pregnancy)...I have had several liquid nitrogen treatments. It seems to get rid of the white head but the red bumps remain and more just pop up. I am very irritated and just want this to go away already
|

replied December 20th, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I am a 23 yr old female and had MC on my buttocks and bakini area for about a year (a year ago). At max, I had about 20 lesions. Awful experience because they can be ruthless (physically and emotionally, especially if you are in a relationship or trying to get into one), but once you just accept that you have them and accept that you need to focus on containment, they WILL eventually go away.

The way they work is that each is its own bump with a contagious center. If that center is able to touch another part of your skin (you scratch it or rub it or whatever), it will spread. 1 lesion will then lead to 2 and it now has two spots that are able to continue to spread. My advice is that you try to remove and contain the ones you currently have through the following steps:

Removal- I tried both freezing and removal through a needle at my university health center. I liked needle removal better because there is no scaring and it is not painful. The doctor just located the bump (they can be VERY tiny so don't be scared to pipe up and have him/her search again really closely), took the needle to pop it above the surface, then took tweezers to physically remove it. Final step was some alcohol to disinfect. I made an appointment every week because I made it clear I wanted these gone and I recommend doing that if you can. Then I graduated and did not have the luxury of a flexible schedule with a full-time job. I actually had my mom do it for me, but unless you really pay attention and know what you are doing, I would not recommend this because a non-professional might make it worse. The bottom line here: if you were to remove all bumps fully during a trip to the dr, there would be no more lesions to spread and you would be done with MC. Unfortunately, the doctor might miss one, there might be one that is just starting during your visit and comes out two days after, or some centers might not be fully removed and can therefore continue to spread. So the more you make appointments, the more you can find and remove lesions instantly. I would make it clear to your doctor that you do not want to just let MC ride its course because while that works, you will have the lesions for who knows how long when with removal procedures, mine were gone within the 7 months I was removing them.

Containment- Many people have several ways to contain lesions (creams, duct tape, etc.) but here is what I did. To keep the existing lesions from spreading, you need to be very disciplined in your hygiene habits. These habits all come down to being clean and dry because moist areas are grounds for infection spread. A few techniques- I bought full coverage cotton underwear (no spandex because material doesn't breathe and might cause sweat) to softly cover infected areas and keep dry both which prevent spreading. The underwear also act as a barrier to infected areas touching my jeans which could then spread the infection to new areas the next time I wear those jeans. I would carefully place underwear in my laundry and wash them on hot. During the summer when I had to wear a suit, (sorry this is TMI, but then again so is this whole site) I would typically get a little sweaty in the buttock area so I would shower and change underwear as soon as I got home. Also, when I worked out, I would shower as soon as I could and put on a fresh pair of underwear. I showered two times a day (threw my hair up to not get it wet) and focused on gently soaping up my buttocks, inner thighs, bakini area, and lower abdomin with Zest- a dry soap, not one with added moisturizer. Very thoroughly, I would get the soap bubbly in my hands and just soap up the area about 2-3 separate times. Afterward, I washed my hands. When I got out, I would towel dry all but the infected area and leave that area to air dry (annoying but you get used to it). Once you get good at your process, I could finish this up in 5 minutes. Also two times a day (you can do it right after the shower, but whenever is fine) I would take 15 cotton squares and with each one, soak in rubbing alcohol and methodically and gently wipe in rows over the infected areas. This might cause too much dryness for some on the skin so you might not have to do this as often as I did. Keep in mind that while your plain skin might not like the alcohol, the actual lesions can still be dabbed to keep very dry and disinfected. Again, these processes seem tedious, and they are, but the sooner you accept that you will have to take these new steps, the sooner you get good at them and they become a non-issue towards recovery. I am not the type to shower two times a day, but it wasn't hard to adapt once you realize that it is working.

Some other notes- be sure not to poke at or touch the lesions. I did this while I was trying to figure out what was going on and when I just couldn't stand the site of them and wanted them gone, but it makes them worse. Take a look at them to see how they are doing and just accept that they are there and ugly all the while keeping in mind that they will not go away if you pick. Another more personal note- be sure to tell your partner about what you have if you are sexually active with him/her. I was just getting into a relationship meaning I was not ready to share such details with the other person, but he respected that I was looking out for his interests and we stuck it out together until they were gone. If you mention how they are not a big deal, but they are a pain and you don't want to make your partner go through it, he/she will be happy you told them. You don't have to make them a big deal because well really, they aren't. Just some annoying bumps that will eventually go away. Until then, I guess you can just hold hands.

That wraps up what I did to conquer these things and I hope that it helps. Just understand what you have and do what you have to to get through it. It can be very tough at times, trust me, I cried a ton in the frustration of MC, but luckily I had some good people to help me figure it out and a method that worked for me when I put the time and discipline in. Best of luck to anyone who has this virus and I hope soon enough it will all be in the past like it is for me!
|

replied June 1st, 2012
2 years
I'm 23 and female, I've had molluscum for about 2 years now, and feel like I've been through a wringer. It seems to come and go, though I suppose some little bumps must always be there to spread. Having molluscum has sucked a lot, and sometimes I get really depressed about it because it feels like I've tried everything.

I first noticed it when I was going to the beach and saw some teeny tiny bumps by my bikini line. I did a lot of research online and went to Planned Parenthood, where they confirmed my self-diagnosis. The doctor there told me to wait it out, but it got worse. I started being extra careful about my hygiene, showering a lot and drying my genital area with toilet paper, trying to keep spots covered with tiny bandaids or medical tape, and using tea tree oil and apple cider vinegar. They would lessen, but nothing worked entirely. I even entirely gave up eating wheat, and otherwise always eat a detoxifying vegan diet.

I have since been to another Planned Parenthood, where the cores were removed with a needle and then swabbed with alcohol. It was awkward of course, but not painful. The next month I went to a women's clinic, where the doctor would not remove the core with a needle but she and I talked for a long time about everything we each knew about molluscum. I shared some of my research with her, and she told me she'd read an experimental study in which patients with ALLERGIES were found to have a more difficult time getting rid of molluscum. The study recommended taking a daily allergy medication like generic Claritin to help patients' bodies focus on the molluscum condition. This knowledge at least gave me a little hope, as I had long wondered why some people could get rid of it in a month or two, but I'd had it for over a year.

It's been a few months now, and I had gotten the all-clear from that doctor who didn't find any bumps. But I just discovered a new crop the night before last. Here's my plan:
- go back to the Planned Parenthood where core-removal was willingly done
- take daily allergy pill and homeopathic allergy remedies, like drinking nettle tea
- strengthen my immune system with echinacea tea, sleep, stress reduction, and avoiding sugar, processed foods, alcohol, and wheat
- shower twice daily, using a Dr Bronner's liquid tea tree oil soap and a prescription antibacterial soap called Hibiclens, then drying genital area with toilet paper and a hair dryer
- just bought new white towels that I can wash frequently with hot water and bleach (though I won't use them near my groin area), and multi-pack ugly cotton undies from Target (though I tried to get the cutest of the choices) so that I don't ruin my nicer underwear and can wash them hot with bleach
- bough a small plastic spray tube from my co-op (in the essential oils/perfume section) that I filled with 1/4 ACV, a few drops of tea tree oil, and the rest water to keep in my pocket and spray on my genital area every time I use the bathroom
- wear tight jeans less in favor of clothing with more air circulation, and loose undies or none to bed
- weekly or twice weekly acupuncture from a community acupuncture clinic to address allergies and immunity (I am too shy to say its for molluscum, but really should)
-looking up Western and Chinese herbs to try others, like I read that lemon myrtle might help but I have yet to find it in a store
- doing yoga and other gentle exercise to help antibodies flow in my bloodstream without wearing myself out
- being totally honest with my partner and engaging in no sexual contact whatsoever
- confiding in one trustworthy friend so I don't feel so alone in this hellish struggle.

It sucks so much but I'm really trying to believe that this is my last outbreak. Sometimes I get so depressed about it, but try not to mope too long and instead take action, like doing a load of hot bleachy laundry Smile Good luck!
|

replied June 1st, 2012
Also, though I'm a little less sure about this - I have figured out through two years of trial and error the best way to immediately remove the molluscum core myself:
- be in the shower, as these bleed a ton
- feel around for bumps with my fingers (as mine are in an area I can only see with a mirror)
- get my hands slick with liquid tea tree oil soap
- apply slow, firm pressure with a fingernail, catching the bump's core with my nail and scraping slowly till the entire core comes out
- repeat on other bumps
- wash the whole area a few times with liquid tea tree soap and my prescription disinfectant liquid soap
- after shower, dry area with toilet paper and a hair dryer
- apply watered-down ACV/tea tree and wait till this dries. I bought cotton rounds, put a stack of them in a small, wide-mouthed glass jar, poured ACV and tea tree oil and a little water on them, pressed them till the mixture was throughout the stack, and use them after every trip to the bathroom (being careful not to use the same side of one cotton round on two areas, as this caused spreading before)
|

replied February 16th, 2010
I have had Molluscum for about six months now. I too thought they were pimples, and then when I showed them to my doctor she was convinced they were genital warts which freaked me out of course!

Eventually I was diagnosed at an STD clinic as having Molluscum Contagiosum and had them frozen off with Liquid Nitrogen the same day. He did three or four rounds of freezing, of which on the last round I did have to try not to scream because it was quite painful at this point.
The "warts" then just got really red and then dried up. However, more soon came around the same area, and those which had been frozen turned a weird discoloured share of purple and scarred quite badly.

They kept spreading and I read somewhere that you could treat them at home yourself, so I started following this fairly obsessive procedure at home, which proved to be an absolute miracle treatment.

- I bought Tea Tree soap. Scrubbed the area with hot water and this soap twice per day.
- Sterilized needles. I poked the warts one by one, and the removed each wart with a pair of tweezers until I saw the core was gone along with the rest of wart. (This is quite painful and be ready for some blood).
- Surgical spirit/rubbing alcohol- I used copious amounts to stop spreading, particularly after "extraction" of a wart, and even after a shower.
- I stopped shaving altogether, just trimmed the hair every now and again. I also didn't take baths- just showers to prevent spreading.
- On newly removed warts I cleaned the area and then applied Salicylic acid, and covered it with a plaster/band aid. I treated the removed wart and core as if they were radioactive and got rid of them immediately.
- After the removed warts had been covered for a day, I'd remove the plaster and apply tea tree oil (100%) only in the evenings to that, and the surrounding areas.
- I'd then check every day for new lesions, and remove them as above. After about two weeks of this process, I noticed that my warts were almost gone.

I had hardly any new lesions appearing and all of my scars were disappearing. I stopped using so much tea tree oil and started using a moisturiser instead to help with the scarring.

This is the only method that's worked for me. I believe the freezing was a good first step to alert your immune system. Eating well and drinking lots of water definitely help. I also ate more garlic.

These things are horrible! But they will go! Just be vigilant and remove these things yourself. Be clean and avoid shaving because it will make it so much worse.
|

replied March 21st, 2010
Easy Treatment
Easy and cheap way to treat this is to get some colored electrical tape, and cut small bit off and cover each lesion with one. My daughter was covered with them from swimming pool and this got rid of them within two weeksd. You can treat warts the same way...basically starving them of oxygen and killing them. Sounds too easy, but totally works.
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2010
SUPER FAST CURE! A Little Miracle...
I used DESONIDE LOTION .05% on my daughter's legs and calves. A little prayer and this medicine, prescribed by the doctor, cured it in 4 to 5 days! It is a bit expensive but it beats having to live with them!!!

I had to beg her doctor, because she said it would go away on it''s own. The fact is that it could take forever to disappear and my daughter cried and said she wanted them to go away. She is 6 years old and was not able to wear skirts or shorts for at least a good 8 months. I know it is a little dangerous for kids to use this but we tried the freezing and other natural products they didn't work.

Give it a try. She is sooooooooo much happier now!
|

replied April 21st, 2010
molluscum...help!
I just recently got diagnosed with molluscum. However, I think it started about 6 months ago bc I had a small bump on my lower butt and then just recently it spread all over. I went to the derm last week and she scraped off every one that was visible to her. Since then I''ve had about 8 more pop up. I haven''t shaved (which I think was the reason they spread in the first place)or scratched at all or used any lotions. I''ve also started taking a vitamin to promote immune health. I am so upset about this because I just started dating someone, I already told him and he didn''t make a big deal of it but if this lasts a long time I''m not so sure how cool he''ll be with it. Also, summer''s coming so this is the worst timing. I have no idea where it came from but I just want it gone. I have a follow-up in a week and I''m going to have more of them scraped off. This was practically painless so if I have to go once a week to get this done I will. At this point I''d do anything to get rid of these no matter the pain or cost. Should I also be using zymaderm to prevent spreading in between dr. appts.?
|

replied August 18th, 2011
Mulluscum Treatment
I don't know about Zymaderm but I have a friend that used Conzerol and it cleared it up in about 10 days.

Good luck and hope this helps.
|

replied May 24th, 2010
Molluscum is a pain
Okay so I too have molluscum in the bikini area -- it appears to be disappearing though. I have tried to improve my eating habits, less alcohol, less sugar, more vegetables including ones with anti-oxident properties. I have been getting them freezed off weekly by the Dr. and it is working. Since I stopped picking and have been getting things frozen off, they haven't been spreading as quickly and the bumps are smaller. I never shave the area, but I do keep the hair trimmed so I can see the developments. I use tea tree oil soap down there, and pat it dry with paper towel when I'm done with the shower, never touching my actual cloth towel. I frequently wash my hands. If I touch myself down there to check for new lesions, to prevent spreading I either wash the area with the tea tree oil soap or pat it with rubbing alcohol. Best to get a full nights sleep and drink lots of water too.

I've heard in several forums to not keep things too moist down there. Don't take a bath, dry off quickly after the shower, and don't put vasoline or lotion! The Doctors will all give you mixed advice, and to be honest, it's a bit surprising because molluscum is very common. A doctor even put me on acyclovir (used to treat herpes),even though he knew it was molluscum. I've since been told by a couple of doctors that acyclovir is not a common treatment for molluscum.
|

replied July 6th, 2010
Let me tell you my story, 1 year ago I got this virus. After few laser interventions (that cost a lot) this stupid virus came back. I had it for like half a year. Well, untill I found a simple guide that helped me and I am like 6 months molluscum free.
|

replied August 29th, 2010
I am 19 years old and I had molluscum contagiosum for several weeks on my bikini line. Because of my incessant need to diagnose myself and my embarrassment to tell anyone, I diagnosed myself online and came up with my own treatment.

I read that the part that is contagious is the white pearly center and that if you don't get it out, it will spread the virus under the skin and create more. This treatment I picked sounds like it wouldn't be sterile but it worked for me and when I finally got up the courage to see my gyno she said I was doing a great job treating them myself. Whenever I saw one I would scrape it with my nail and usually the white center would come out immediately and stick to my nail. Then I would wash my hands thoroughly with soap. Then I would soak the area in hydrogen peroxide using a wad of toilet paper. A lot. When I saw my doctor I only had two left which she popped for me. Unfortunately we didn't even realize I had any around my butt so I got more there but I used a mirror and did the same self-treatment on them. I check everyday and I have had no more for several weeks so I am very hopeful they are gone for good.
|

replied January 26th, 2011
No medication required.
Hey, what's up everybody... I once had this frustrating STD, I did the ointments, the freezing, the home remedies and even duct tape but none of that crap worked.
I just wanted to let everyone know that's it's not the end of the world cuz time will cure this STD. I know its hard to believe but no matter what medication you use, it will still be there even though you think it's gone. Only when you havn't had and outbreak in over 2-3 months is when you know it's gone.
The only advice I can give is to let TIME do it's job and start taking "vitamin C" because it helps the "immune system" and the immune system is what fights viruses in the body, do not overdose on vitamin C because it can be harmful to the body.
I suffered all the mental problems of this virus but I've overcome it. I had it for about 8 months and I thought it would never go away but I got through it. I've been molluscum free for over a year now. Keep a positive mental attitude cuz there's no need to think negatively, "ever".
So, believe me when I say this,"Just let time take care of this.". Stay strong!!
|

replied March 6th, 2011
molluscum
Im a 20 year old guy and this stuff is giving me the worst anxiety ever. ok, so I've had MC for almost three years now. I thought it was gone and then all of a sudden I had a pretty bad out break were I had about 20, which is the most I have ever had. I got them all frozen off and now my stomach has a bunch of scars. Evan though the scars eventually go away they still suck. My bumps have always been very very small. i have been to a few different doctors and it seems like they dont really know anything about it. When I ask if i can still have sex they say yea just wear a condom. So im thinking this isnt that bad. All of a sudden my brother who is 18 has it now in his groin. He is not sexually active so he must have gotten it from me, which is crazy cause we dont share towels, clothes or anything. So now im thinking if brother got it some how from a couch or my computer or something then the girls i was having sex with definitely must be getting it. I know its horrible that I was having sex but the doctors made it sound like it was fine. Does anyone know if its possible to be having regular sex with girls and not give to them. Im really starting to freak out and feel terrible. ANything helps thanksss
|

replied September 20th, 2011
Hi, i've had mc for over a year now. My boyfriend who i've had the entire time still does not have it. So yes it is possible.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska