Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Massive Ruptured Disk

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
My neurologist told me today that I have a massive ruptured disk and many deteriorating disks. This is not good news to me. I dont have insurance so I cant have surgery, which I am afraid of anyway. My ONLY option is Pain Management. What can that do for me? Just meds? What will stop this excruciating pain? Also, I was told that the numbness and tingling in my toes is irreversible and that anything that happens in the future ( numbness, loss of bladder control, etc) will be irreversible if I choose NOT to have surgery! I am not chosing to not have the surgery, but I cant afford the MANY a thousands of dollars when I am unemployed with no insurance. Can someone PLEASE HELP ME? I dont mean with money or anything, just advice or thoughts, etc. I have NEVER felt pain like this!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 23rd, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Hello Ashoverman,

Sorry to read about your terrible pain and all.

"I was told that the numbness and tingling in my toes is irreversible" - I am not a doctor, however, the above is not necessarily true. My back pain radiated down my right leg, and I had a tingling sensation in the lower part of my right leg. My pain management doctor gave me an epidural injection which contained an anti-infammatory corticosteroid to reduce the inflammation around a nerve which was being pinched by a bulging disc. A week after the injection the pain in my leg was gone and a month later the tingling sensation in my leg was gone.

From what I have read if there is loss of bladder control, then there must be emergency surgery within 24-48 hrs.

I hope others, especially Algosdoc can provide their thoughts to/for you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

RichT
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Massive Ruptured Disk
Thank you. I am seeing a Pain Management doctor on Thursday. I wasnt told that a nerve was being pinched, so I dont know if that is my case. I know that I am in an extreme amount of pain and my life has gone BAD! I cant pay my bills, my car is being repossessed and I have lost my job. I am suicidal and need professional mental health. I just feel useless and worthless to myself, my family, my girlfriend and society in general. I have lost all hope.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Hello Ashoverman,

So glad to read that you have an appointment with your PM doc on Thursday. I hope he/she can give you encouraging words in trying to solve your back pain.

Ashoverman, hang in there. You may be down, but you are not out. So grab ahold of your bootstraps and slowly start your way up the mountain one step at a time. Try to be patient with yourself. You ARE worth much to your family, girlfriend and society. I know you are.

Do stay in touch, and if you would like, send me a PM.

God IS by your side. Share your burdens with Him.

Ashoverman, my thoughts and prayers are and will be with you.

RichT
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2008
Experienced User
Massive Ruptured Disk
Well, it is hard to feel any self-worth right now. I am being forced to move out of my house and move into my grandmothers apartment with her. I simply cant afford the bills anymore that I am not able to work. My family and girlfriend mean so much to me, but it just seems like this is too much for any and all of them to handle. They are all telling me to just deal with it and get it taken care of. It is like they dont want this burden or the trouble that I am or have caused. I just dont know what to do anymore. I cry because I am in pain and because my life has been taken away from me. I dont feel ANY self-worth and that is bad, I know. I just want to be normal! I am 35 years old and I shouldnt be going through this! I havent done anything wrong, I am not a bad person, I dont understand why this is happening to me. I just feel that if I die, then my pain will be gone and nobody that I am close to will have to worry about me or my problems any longer.
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
I am so sorry that all this is happening to you. This problem is so much more than just pain...My last relationship ended because I realized that the man I was with didn't care about looking after me. I was down for 5 months and I got next to no help from him...including getting fed. I realized that this man is not the one for me. As I age finding someone that will take care of me is important. I understand the pain...very well. I have experienced not being able to go to work, have sex, just going to the bathroom was a humiliating experience. The only way I've managed to get by is to realize that everything happens for a reason and I chose to learn from this. Who my real friends are, if the person I'm with really cares, and my own personal strength have all been tested. I know if you are not a spiritual person this can seem very hopeless. But have faith...it will get better and believe me when I say...you will have such a different attitude on life and everyone in it. The pain will subside, your mobility will improve, and life will begin again. After leaving my last relationship, I had the best time with life ever!! I am now with someone that truly cares and loves me. I went through it again and he looked after me so well. It was not without troubles. It is hard on everyone that loves you too. Don't take it personally. You will get through this, and when you do, grab life by the horns and enjoy. Life is full of challenges and you can either give up or learn and enjoy. Good luck and chin up...
|