Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Repeat Pap Smear for HPV

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
Received a letter from my GYN today saying that my test results for my Pap Smear are within normal limits.

Does that mean that I no longer have HPV? Will it ever come back if I no longer engage in sexual activity?

Does it mean that even if I ever do have another relationship, that I will have to use protection so I don't pass HPV on to another partner even if it shows I am clear? Does HPV live in your system for the rest of your life?

Thanks. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Congrats Roberta on being clear! What it means is that the virus is now in it's dormant state. That's good news. The not so good news is that it can flare up again. Particulary if you were diagnosed with a high risk strain. For low risk strains once your body has built the inmunity it usually never comes back. So yes the virus is with you for life just like any of the other viruses (hcv, hiv...) . Once the virus is dormant I'm not sure if you can pass it on but I wouldn't have sex with someone who has a high risk strain of hpv dormant not even with condoms.
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
That is
a real heartbreaker Nightangel. Then, I did really throw my life away for somebody who gave me HPV, who still says he never had it. Now, no matter what, I can never have a relationship with anybody?

Pretty sure that is how I got it. From his girlfriend who claimed she had flu like symptoms, went in and was tested. She claimed she was clear. Maybe she was, maybe she wasn't. He believed her. I never did.

I do have the high risk types. If I could only go back, I would have called the Sheriff to have that guy removed from my property. Would have been better off in more ways than one.

It is just so hard to wrap my mind around the concept that I have HPV and the person who gave it to me, the carrier, is free of the disease. I am certain it all comes down to the genetic factor. Some of us are more prone to certain diseases and resistant to others.
|

replied February 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
I have HPV too, I'm waiting on my results tho. I was clear when I met my current boyfriend, and then I suddenly have HPV. He had been with quite a few sex partners before he met me so he got it from one of them. I told him he might have it too but there's no test for men to determine that.

He doesn't blame me or anything, he doesn't think I'm sluty for having HPV, or anything like that. I told him there's no cure but that its something common almost everyone gets it at some point in their lives. I thought he would change towards me but its made us stronger Smile you.ll be ok.
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2008
And to you too
Lady T02. When I first found this wonderful eHealth Forum, and my doctor called me to tell me I had HPV with the high risk types for cervical cancer, it blew me away. Firstly, as I had a hysterectomy when I was a young woman. How could this be a danger for me? Truth be told, they leave part of the cervix in there and yes, it is a danger for me.

I know I never slept around. My husband died years ago and even before that we were not sexually together. He was diabetic and had congestive heart failure. My paps came back clear and then six months ago, this diagnosis which at the time showed HPV with the high risk types. Had a repeat pap last week and it came back normal.

There are some really amazing women on this forum. Starting with Kia, Nightangel, Futureshock, Birch, Eiri, and also good advisors HomerX, Marvel. I could go on and on. These are really good people.

Good luck. And, I have learned that even though I never had it before, maybe I met a person who gave me not only HPV but some good things that added to my life spiritually, emotionally and in other good ways. It is hard to separate it out like the wheat from the field. We don't always get to take away only the good part. Maybe, sometimes, we take away also the good with the bad. The bad being the part that is hardest to learn from. Otherwise, where and why would we be willing to stop, listen and learn?
|

Experienced User
thats very true roberta777. when i was diagnosed with HPV i couldnt understand how i was going to cope with it emotionally. i thought my boyfriend would leave me, or wouldnt understand, or even think i was slutty like i said. i've only had 3 sexual partners my entire life, never slept around or had a one night stand, i have always been aware of any changes to my body and i always go to the doctor to take care of myself. so when this happened i was shocked.

my boyfriend was in the military so he has been around the world so to speak. he told me he had alot of sexual partners but i dont know if he ever used protection with them(even thought the doctor told me that condoms dont work to protect against HPV) but if i was clear before i met him, and now i have it. im very sure he gave it to me. i dont blame him because when i told him he had no clue what i was tlaking about until i explained what HPV was. i dont see any remorse in him or anything so i dont know if he even cares how this is affecting me emotionally. but as long as i have this forum i know i'll get that extra boost of support i need Smile
|

User Profile
LadyT02
with these guys, they never have any signs of HPV. Why do they even worry? They for the most part just twiddle their thumbs when you are sitting there sweating blood, scared you have HPV. For them, it is nothing. Because, for the most part until science finally catches up and says, Yes, Right! Men Look They are linked to HPV with the HPV high risk type 33.

Trust me, I have done a lot of research. In the United Kingdom and Sweden, research has shown there is a strong possibility of connection.

For us, LadyT02, I hear what you are saying. You sound like a very young woman and please, as long as you take care of yourself, I am sure you will be fine. Just let your doctor advise you.

I just took my second pap smear and it showed I am clear. I trust Nightangel who tells me that with my type, I have it and need to protect my self with semi-annual pap smears.

As I said before, there are some wonderful people on this forum. Also wanted to recommend Georgia, a wonderful person. If you ever see her name, know she is true.

Good luck.

Roberta
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2008
Experienced User
I was just wondering what exactly HPV is.. I've heard of it before, but don't really understand it. I read that it's a very common virus and usually goes away on its own. But from what I'm reading here it sounds like it's very serious and that it never goes away. Can you really never have sex again after you get HPV? The website I was reading said that 80% of women will get it. Also, how can you protect yourself against it if there is no HPV test for men? And is there any way to get it besides sexual contact?
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
It does seem as though if you test clear after having it, you can't pass it on. However, that is not 100 proven, so always always be careful. In many cases it does seem to go away on it's own. there are also medications you can take if you're in a relationship to stop from spreading it to your partner.
|

Do all abnormal paps mean you have HPV? or is there a difference?
|

replied April 1st, 2008
just got the call
I got the call today that my pap smear was abnormal and then they tested further and said I have HVP I am freaking out. On a scale of 1 - 10 10 being the worst I am classified as a level 3. What on earth does that mean? I am sure that I caught this from my boyfriend whom has had multiple partners Now what. I am scheduled to have further testing in 3 weeks they are going to take a sample. Talking to my boyfriend is going to be an interesting conversation as he will say he does not have anything - no tests for a guy? what is with that? How do I make sure it was him I contracted it from or was it my ex- husband? Hmm just recently divorced after a 25 year marriage. I am so confused and just do not know when to say anything to the boyfriend don't want to accuse, will I loose him? What now as I have just entered this new world of dating and this happens with the first relationship.
|

replied November 15th, 2008
another go
so im new to this whole blogging with others thing. I have had an abnormal pap previously about two yrs ago. the doctor i had at the time made it seem like the best thing for me to do would be to remove the abnormal cells. So i had a leep done. Big mistake, the type i had usually goes away by itself. I went to a new doctor bc the previous one made me uncomfortable and in front of my mother and fiance accused me of being a promiscuous person. YAY for professionalism. So I had two or three normal paps and then i get this one that is abnormal. great. I get to have a colposcopy on tuesday. This couldnt have come at a better time...i mean im trying to wrap up the semester, i have midterms and projects. The last visit I had was to discuss my abnormal pap smear (it lasted 5 minutes) and my copay was $50. I realize you cant really put a price on taking care of yourself. But its so in the forefront of my mind right now that every time i go regardless of whether or not its just a follow up its going to cost $50.

is it true that condoms dont protect you from giving or getting hpv?

i have been with the same person for the last 4yrs and 7mo. could i have given him hpv and he just is going to continue giving it back to me?

should we abstain from sex until this round clears up? how can i try not to get it from him again?

i mean this is the man that i am thinking about spending the rest of my life with. and besides from the way some made it sound even if this relationship didnt work out i have the potential to give it to someone else and then get it back.

any information that anyone has would be greatly appreciated. thank you for listening to my rant and my numerous questions. to all those who take the time to read this--thank you.
|

replied November 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
run4life10 wrote:
I was just wondering what exactly HPV is.. I've heard of it before, but don't really understand it. I read that it's a very common virus and usually goes away on its own. But from what I'm reading here it sounds like it's very serious and that it never goes away. Can you really never have sex again after you get HPV? The website I was reading said that 80% of women will get it. Also, how can you protect yourself against it if there is no HPV test for men? And is there any way to get it besides sexual contact?

hpv is human papilloma virus, its a virus that men can carry(and most of them do if they have been sexually active) but it does not affect them in any way though if it is passed on to the female through sexual intercourse it can cause abnormal pap smears, could lead to vaginal warts and some strands have been linked to causes cervical cancer..thats why its extremely important to use protection if you're not in a monogomous relationship..and then again, even if you DO have a monogomous relationship with a guy who was previously sexually active then you can get hpv..i believe the stats are something like 1 in 4 sexually active women will contract it in their lifetime or something....
|

replied November 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
oh and to answer your other questions, there is no way of testing the man for it, so use a condom and thats really all you can do...in many cases it is minor and does go away on its own however like i said in the previous post some strands can lead to warts and cancer..you can have sex again once you have it, just be careful and use protection always bc if you dont then the man can pass it along to another woman...also..it is a virus so technically it does not ever go away..though viruses do have dormant phases in which they aren't detectable which means you're "clear" but not forever..it could cause problems again later and then clear up again...viruses stick with you for life unfortunately
|

replied June 12th, 2009
lOW rISK oF hPV
well my pap smear came back with a "LOW RISK FOR HPV"
I am terrified.. i dont know what to do... of course my husband is being a jerk .because were in a process of getting a divorce.
is that mean i have a HPV? embarrasing!!!
i was at my Dr's office yesterday and she found out that i have tons of ovarian cyts.. and she went and look up my records she said that i need to come for my pap smear.. every six months. i was diagnosed for Low HPV.. urgg.. im so pissed off..
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2009
to angelfire2005:
to angelfire2005:

Yes, you do have hpv. there is low risk and high risk. Do some research online about the different levels. I had high risk CN II...well CN III is nearly cancer so you can imagine i was freaked out! Since then tho I have had two paps in a row that came back negative!! I am getting my 3rd one in january to see if it is negative. If it is then I can go back to getting a yearly pap as opposed to two per year. I am praying the hpv is dormant but don't really know...I had a very stressful 3 months so it might have flared up. Good luck to you!
|

replied April 4th, 2010
confused.
So I am confused. I was diagnosed in July of ''09 with low risk, as the doctor said she doesn''t even know what type it is! Very low risk though and she told me that it will go away on its own. What will go away? I will always carry the virus I am reading so what goes away? I don''t have any physical signs of anything besides the abnormal pap. I had my 6 mo check...it came back normal! So what can anyone tell me..what goes away because it is so confusing! thanks!
|

replied May 7th, 2010
Experienced User
The warts go away but the virus remains with you for your entire life.
|

replied May 7th, 2010
Experienced User
I would like to mention that women are also carriers of Hpv ,Otherwise how else would I have contracted it.I deeply resent the implication that all men are to blame for transmitting this disease..

This is a sexually transmitted disease and the irony of it is that women are under the impression that they can still have a sexual relationship with hpv and think that they cannot transmit it.That is the reason why I am in the predicament that I now find myself in .This is just another way in which women can F&$K mens lives up.

There I have said my two cents worth.
|

replied January 31st, 2012
HPV men women cancer std
High risk strands of HPV are the leading cause of mouth and throat cancer in young heterosexual men. The vagina has the same kind of mucus membrane as the human mouth which causes transfer to happen easily. The penis on the other hand has a different kind of membrane which is the reason penile cancer doesn't happen as often with HPV. With penile cancer though they chop part of it off, so wrap it up and use a dental damn when eating her out.
|