Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Smelly vaginal area (Page 1)

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Ok, so I have a gross problem that I think many women can relate to.

I get really smelly down there, mainly the week after my period. Its not a hygiene issue bc I shower EVERY day, sometimes twice and I clean down there real good.

I have figured out that what is causing the smell is my "natural juices". Whenever I get aroused and get "wet", the "wetness" itself has a pungent, almost sour odor. Sometimes I get "wet" down there even when I am not aroused (most often when I am engaged in strenuous activity, such as massage or exercise, but sometimes for NO reason).

Me and my B/F are monogamous....plus I have been tested pretty recently and I have no other symptoms like itching or burning, so I really do not think it is STD related. I suppose it COULD be a natural bacterial thing or a hormone thing.

Also, I use an IUD for birth control, so I guess it could be related to that but IUD's are not hormonal.

I just hate this! I mean, I can SMELL myself when I am just sitting there, or sometimes when I am massaging so I am thinking other people smell me too and think I am GROSS!

Just yesterday, I was sitting on my b/f's lap and he goes "you smell funny" and I KNEW thats what it was!

It makes me really self conscious during sex, since my juices are what's smelly.

Someone help!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Charlotte1403
|

replied February 22nd, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Some women just smell bad down there. Hi! I'm one of them. There's literally nothing we can do about it. I get wet all the time too. You could douche, but that's really not healthy and can lead to infections.

Have you asked a gyno specifically about what things can cause this? I dislike my smell every day of the month - I don't even touch myself when I masturbate, I use a towel because I don't want my hand to smell! It may be that you do too, and that right after your period is a time when your body produces more discharge so you smell it more.

A scented panti-liner may help. I've found they sometimes increase my confidence Smile
|

replied March 6th, 2012
There is help. My GYN told me about "RepHresh" it is a Vaginal Gel that eliminates feminie odor. It comes with 4 pre-filled applicators (12 day supply). You also can google that product line, which offers the gel, pills and other helpful products.

I do not recommend a scented panti-liner because that to can cause an ordor. Try this I swear by it.
|

replied July 30th, 2012
A Natural Cure For Vaginal Odor!
You may have a condition called Bacterial Vaginosis. This is a condition most women suffer due to douching too much and killing all of the good bacteria in the vagina, especially when douching after having their period.

Now there's an all-natural cure for Bacterial Vaginosis or sever vaginal odor. Just a few natural ingredients from your nearest health store, will clear up and or totally eliminate Bacterial Vaginosis (fishy odor) altogether.
|

dammit, I just want it to GO AWAY!

Its nasty and I hate it and I don't even want to have sex bc of it!

I HATE pads and panty-liners. I ONLY wear panty-liners when I am heavy on my period and I don't even WEAR underwear when I am not on the rag.

I could wear tampons just for the wetness, but thats really not good for you.

I just want it GONE! it makes me so mad I HATE being a woman we get the hard end of EVERYTHING!
|

replied January 5th, 2013
Did you say you have a IUD? Just had one put in a month ago and now have a bad odor.Kind of weird.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

User Profile
Supporter
It could possibly be Bacterial Vaginosis as that can cause a bad smell, particularly when you use soap -it's an acid/ alkali thing and not an STD. Other than the smell, there may be no symptoms. A course of the antibiotic, Metronidazole, will knock it on the head and you won't believe how excellent you feel afterwards!
|

Maybe thats it, because I just use regular irish spring soap bars down there, and here lately I have been using an aromatherapy bath and body works wash.

could that cause it? what SHOULD I use? This smell has been fairly recent (I mean, I think every woman experiences some odor down there especially after her period but usually washing made it go away for me) its really sour-smelling....like vinegar.

until recently I had been using dove soap, which is really mild. maybe switching to irish spring and now this aromatherapy stuff caused this.

could that be? do I need to go out and buy summers eve feminine wash to use just for that area?
|

User Profile
Supporter
Well, I use Femfresh soap-free wash but I do think you should ask your doctor to check for BV. Don't use any soap with fragrance down there!
|

Especially eHealthy
If she gets it after every single period, then it sounds like it's just something her body does. If she was smelly all the time then I'd say yes, it could be an infection. But it's the timing that makes me think it's not.

But if this is a recent thing and you recently changed soaps then perhaps that is it? I wish *I* could change soaps and make it go away Rolling Eyes
|

Experienced User
Sue Johanson of Talk Sex with Sue Johanson talks about diet affecting the taste of men's ejaculate. Maybe the theory works regarding a female's odor. Her website references a book called Great Food Great Sex. Couldn't hurt...

The other suggestion may sound gross: don't wash your vaginal area with lots of soap and don't wash vigorously. I got this info years ago when I was trying to stop frequent vaginal infections. It really works. The only time I give a thorough cleaning is during my period.
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I would definitely stay away from fragrance soaps. Also, although it may smell bad to you it might smell great to him. Has he ever specifically mentioned it smelling bad to you? It's something relatively normal that many women unfortunately have to deal with. If you are worried, you should see your doctor and see if its an infection but if not there isn't too much you can do.
|

replied March 30th, 2008
Massagegirl
You may want to try something called Diflucan for vaginal odor,
See a Doc too as you could have some type of Fungus infection that is usually very smelly during and after the period
I agree with Galaxy dont use anything scented down there
Goodluck
Fairysue
|

replied April 6th, 2008
wait, so if i didnt use any fragranted soaps after i already had and got an odor, would it go away?
|

replied April 7th, 2008
My gyno told me never to wash with soap down there except for maybe on the outside. She said to use water only because soap can cause all sorts of problems. If you feel you need to use soap, ivory is a good clean soap that doesn't have a lot of crap in it and it is good for sensitive skin, which I have.
|

replied April 9th, 2008
I know you've said its usually just after your period, but as the other women have said, definitely have your doctor check for BV. I had it for a while actulaly and thought it was a yeast infection, then a bacterial one, then an STD. But it was BV and I didn't smell it all the time, just sometimes and worse after my period. Good luck!
|

replied April 13th, 2008
I always wash well but make sure I don't over-soap it down there.
Also, just an idea, use cotton underwear, NOT polyester or lycra pants and I notice you say you don't wear underwear usually, well, maybe you should...

Also, what type of sanitary protection are you using?
I used to get too dry with a certain towel, which literally sucked up all my moisture, altering the natural balance down there. Sometimes tampons can irritate you in there too.

It might be any of these things...
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2008
Experienced User
theres special soap you can get. i dont know what it is called..its a feminine wash. but you can find it next to the pregnancy tests and lube at the store lol.
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2008
Experienced User
oh i also loooove those feminine wipes. i like those too. espeically when you are on the rag..it helps you smell better!
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I never really liked those wipes (you are talking about the ones that come packaged with some pads, right)? I don't like the smell of them. They are great for cleaning up though if you really need it
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2008
Experienced User
yea. they sell the wipes separate too. i buy the store brand one and they smell better than the always ones.
|

replied April 30th, 2008
had the same problem
I had vaginal odor all of the sudden a few months after dating this guy I really liked. I knew that he had to notice during sex, so I was so nervous to have sex. I got tested for std's, and I didn't have any. I tried to think about eating habits, medications, vitamins and one day I smelled the same smell when I opened the bottle of CLA i was taking. It is supposed to help you lose weight. I stopped taking it, and bingo! No odor! I can't find any articles on it, but it did happen to me. Maybe your multivitamin has it in there, or are you possibly taking CLA?
|

replied December 28th, 2011
i think this is the exact answer of what causes my smell down there. since i start taking my diet pill, i started smelling like this. By d way what s a CLA?
Thanks for sharing
|

replied January 6th, 2009
Odour
I have had this for about two years. I had an abortion and then requested that I had an IDU, which the nurse gave me. I was told that my periods may alter, but not about anything else. I know how excruciating it is and also went for tests because I thought that I had got an STI. I was given a gel called metronzindale or something, it worked temporarily but I also discovered that it was a really powerful antibiotic, which was meant to rebalance the bacteria, and using it more that once is not recommended.

And I was given a big list of do's and don't's to try and control it. Here are some of them.

Don't wash with soap, only use water - the soap irritates.

Don't wear tights

Do clean your vibrator - if you have one

Do wear cotton knickers

Do eat less sugar - this can affect the ph balance which in turn affects the smell.

Do bath once a month (but no more) in water that has a little (table spoon or two) of vinegar in it, it helps to restore the ph in your vagina.

I found that I had it really badly for about a year and it was awful. Since then I notice that I do still have it but not as badly. You can try different natural products, you must remember that it is to do with yeast, and bacteria and a way to control that can be through your diet, if you eat a lot of rich foods and things this can affect it. Don't give up, hopefully it'll just go. And you would be surprised about how many women suffer the same thing, you are no alone.
|
12 >>