Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

tumor under right ribcage (Page 1)

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I had a lump come up about 3 months ago, dr. said it was probably a cyst. Referred me to surgeon who did an ultrasound and said it was a tumor. I had a MRI Tuesday and I won;t get the results until Monday afternoon. Can an MRI show if it is cancerous or not?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Was the ultrasound performed on your liver?
|

replied February 22nd, 2008
No, the tumor is on my abdominal wall. I can feel it very well and certain postions I am in I have to move because it is so uncomfortable. It doesn't hurt ...it is more like a dull ache and it is driving me crazy.
|

replied February 25th, 2008
Well, I went in today for the results of my MRI......nothing....I have to have additional test nest week. My insurance co. would not approve a MRI wit contrast so thanks to them I have to wait even longer to find out more. This is driving me crazy.
|

replied February 25th, 2008
Experienced User
Did they say the lump was part of the abdominal wall or from the organs underneath?
The only way to be sure is as to whether or not it is cancerous is to do a biopsy. If the doctors were really concerned they should have given you this option.
|

replied February 26th, 2008
They said that from the ultrasound they did it looked as if it was in between the muscle layers on the abdominal wall. The ultrasound that was done...it was difficult to see so they had me stand up and it showed up right away. I can feel it no problem. I just hate this waiting game.
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I think the doctors need to perform a fine-needle aspiration of this lump to make diagnosis based on cytologic features (look and characteristics of the cells under microscope)
|

replied April 24th, 2008
I had a tumor in my abdominal area. It was a desmoid tumor. I know that they couldn't tell anything except with a biopsy. They only knew there was some abnormal mass in my abs. from the ultrasounds and CT scans they took. Its been a while so I hope you found out whats going on. Hopefully it was a desmoid tumor. They are rare and its hard to find a doctor who will deal with it. Took me forever to find a doctor to touch it.
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
kimb1048!
Did you get the final diagnosis for the abdominal wall mass?
As the previous user said this could be a desmoid tumor, but, it could be something else, too.
So, we are waiting for the new information!
Marija
|

replied September 23rd, 2008
They diagnosed it as a "Lypoma", a fatty tumor since the CT scan came back normal. It is very hard to see on the ultrasound if I am lying flat. When they have me stand up...it shows up right away. It is like it moves under my ribs when I am lying flat. I go back in Feb. 2009 for further test to see if it has changed or gotten bigger. It feels to me that it is getting bigger, it is really uncomfortable. The dr. said that surgery would be difficult since it soo hard to find while lying down. So I guess I am stuck with it.
Thanks for all the support!!
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Lipomas arising from fat inside the muscle (abdominal muscle wall, there is a fat between muscle fibers) cause a diffuse palpable swelling, which is more prominent when the related muscle is contracted.
Fatty tumors in intramuscular locations should be considered to be potential liposarcomas until proven otherwise with histological analysis after surgery.
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: kimb1048 

replied October 22nd, 2008
MandMs
Thanks for your reply, I will look that up. I wish I knew exactly what this is. I have gained a few pounds and it is much more uncomfortable. It seems to be pressing on my ribs. I am not a good candidate for surgery as it moves upward when I am lying flat, I guess it hides under my ribs. I have also noticed that I have a similar mass/swelling under my chin and jawline. I feel like I am falling apart, I have no energy whatsoever.
|
Users who thank kimb1048 for this post: MandMs  caliente2k 

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Lipomas are soft, easily moveable masses under the skin that are always round in diameter.
They can appear anywhere on the body from the scalp to the legs, even inside the internal organs.
Usually, one patient has one lipoma at time, but, multiple presentation of lipoma is not excluded.
Checked this swelling under your chin with your physician.
It could be lipoma, but, it could be just swollen lymph node, if you were ill recently (throat, ear, sinuses, teeth infection)

CT scan, along with MRI does not allow an absolute reliable distinction between a lipoma and a liposarcom.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2011
Lipomas??
I was told I had Lipomas. No tests were done, My doc just felt around. I have swelling, pain, and cannot even touch the skin under my right breast,even though the lump is not on the skin, it is in the area of my upper rt ribs. They are growing, and becoming more painful. I have been looking online for help, I feel like my Doc is not taking action. This is not something I could just live with.
|

replied January 28th, 2010
i felt a mobile lump over my edge of my right ribcage. it can only be felt when i am standing up / sitting it total disappear when i am lying down. i went u/s HBS i was told normal...what can it b?
|

replied February 18th, 2010
About 8-9 months ago I noticed a very small, hard, painless, unmoveable lump on my ribcage (left lower side, slightly dorsal), but this was only noticeable when I hunched over or raised my arms to stretch the skin over the lump (BMI was ~15%). I didn't really think much about it, but within 2-3 months I noticed it grew to maybe the size of a dime and was now accompanied by three smaller lumps (one above the original, one 5" to the left of my naval, and one 3" to my lower left of that). That kind of got me concerned (though, stupidly, not enough to see a doctor), so I stopped taking my weight-lifting supplements (5-10g Creatine Monohydrate and 5-10g Glutamine per day) just to see if they'd go away after that. Well, after 5-6 months of no supps and very little running/lifting, I've put on a little fat, have roughly the same energy levels, and these lumps don't seem to have grown (or shrunk, sadly). One other thing that interests me is that they're firmer after a lift (surely there's more blood pumped there, just as muscles are firmer), and they seem slightly larger. Well, that was probably too much information, and I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post, but here's hoping someone knowledgeable replies. Thanks in advance!
|

replied March 5th, 2010
Lipoma abdominal wall
I too have a large mass just over the bottom of my right rib cage, two ultrasounds have called it consistant with a lipoma but my Doc is having a needle biopsy done of it because of the speed in which it showed up and grew to 6cms (last measure) lots of right sided pain from rib cage to pelvis mass itself is tender not painful but the area under the mass is excruciating at times. Liver and spleen shown to be normal size on ultra sound chest xray must have been ok as they havent commented on it. I have had extreme fatigue the last couple of weeks, noticed blood pressure has radically dropped as well.
|

replied November 8th, 2010
@kimb1048 and @Laurell
PLEASE PLEASE contact me if you happen to still come here...because for years Ive been having the same pain/mass just under my ribs and no one can seem to help me...and Im getting scared that its going to just end up being too late to do anything about it...Ive had every test the doctor can think of but yet they say they see nothing abnormal and im still in pain

|

replied October 6th, 2011
I have had a painless lump on right side under ribcage and next to stomach. Two doctors told me it was muscle 3rd doctor did ultra sound and said it was some sort of mass and now I need a cat scan... I have had this lump for atleast 4 or 5 years ....today I have ct scan and i pray it is muscle or something benign. Luck to you all
|

replied October 6th, 2011
Lump on left side
I have had a painless lump on right side under ribcage and next to stomach. Two doctors told me it was muscle 3rd doctor did ultra sound and said it was some sort of mass and now I need a cat scan... I have had this lump for atleast 4 or 5 years ....today I have ct scan and i pray it is muscle or something benign. Luck to you all
|

replied December 4th, 2010
lumps under or near my rib cage
i had the same thing i jus had an operation done by Abrie Botha md frcs consultant gastrointestinal surgeon guys st thomas nhs tust private harley street. london
it was called excision of lesions or lymph nodes in abdomen- s0520 or t8720.
this was like small cluster of lumps in was in my rib cage one round near side of my back. the operation was good to be honest im pain free no pain. like ive got a new body.
these lumps would kill me when i walk i could feel them rubbing against my side. i wash up sweep lie on my side i be so soar.
the pain was wicked you could not even touch it was very tender.i had them for 3 yrs 6 months . i feel like a new woman . oh yeah they were to big lunps like big marble .sent to be tested . i had op on 1st dec 2010 cordel
|

replied December 29th, 2010
Fatty Tumor
I had a fatty tumor removed from my rib cage in August of this year.It never showed up on an ultra sound and most of the time they won't due to no fluid inside the tumor.Mine was rather large....the size of an apple.It was painful and had started to affect my breathing.It has grown back and is almost the size of the last one.I saw my doctor today and surgery is scheduled again to remove it....does anybody know the major cause of these?
|

replied February 3rd, 2011
rib cage tumor
Hy everybody!
This is rather a scary subject but I also have a lump on my right side of ribcage. I actually have two lumps, one bigger, on two ribs. I just came from the third doctor and they all say I need an operation.They cant say if it is benign or not until they get it out of me and send that to biopsy.Lumps are hard, not moving and they hurt like hell few months ago. I went to the doctor who said it was nothing and that I probably had a injury which I cant remember.Now I have to go to operation where they will take whole parts of my two ribs,because tumor has entered the bone and I'am pretty scared.I am 24 years old female, otherwise really healthy and active.Has anybody already went to that kind of surgery?
|
12 >>
Quick Reply