Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

Hypoglycemia and PCOS symptoms

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
Hypoglycemia and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), genrely come hand in hand, it is a hormonal disorder which causes many and varied symptoms, Hypoglycemia been one of them. 1 in 8 woman can be affected.

Woman with PCOS do not have the ability to control there blood sugar levels with out eating reagulry, and when they consume large amounts of sugars.

The amount a hypo affects a woman with PCOS differs, some don't even notice it, like me before I changed my diet did not think much about the heart papulations I got. This is because woman get into a cycle of eating the things that rase their blood sugar, like chocolate, bread, chips. One keeps going round and round as the never ending cravings for food keep one oblivious to the efects.

The symptoms of PCOS can be one or a combination of these:

* Hirsuitism (excessive hair growth on the face, chest, abdomen, etc.)
* Hair loss (androgenic alopecia, in a classic "male baldness" pattern)
* Acne
* Polycystic ovaries (seen on ultrasound)
* Obesity
* Infertility or reduced fertility
* Irregular or absent menstrual periods

There are a few others but these are the main ones.

In addition, women with PCOS appear to be at increased risk of developing the following health problems during their lives:

* Insulin resistance
* Diabetes
* Lipid abnormalities
* Cardiovascular disease (heart disease, heart attacks and stroke)
* Endometrial carcinoma (cancer)

I only noticed the problems I was having with blood sugar when I managed to break my eating cycle, and when I ate white flour and sugar. When I read about hypoglycemia on the net once I realized that that is what was happening to me, it was why I got muscle fatege, heart paps, feelings of cloudiness and a lack of concentration.

But I then got a bit confused when I found this site and read a list of things one with hypo should not eat, as I never had a problem with many of the things on the list. I can eat bananas with no problems at all for one, and the books I have on PCOS named a bunch of things I can eat that some people with Hypoglycemia can not eat.

Then I found an artical on PCOS and Hypoglycemia, it explains more on Postprandial Hypoglycemia

http://www.docguide.com/news/content.nsf/n ews/852571020057CCF6852572F3006E6045#

And I found this little bit of information:

"And of course hypoglycemia is different from insulin resistance. It (in particular reactive hypoglycemia) is one of the effects of long term IR. The pancreas becomes accustomed to overproducing insulin when it is stimulated by high blood sugar levels, and even a slight rise in blood sugar will produce a flood of insulin. IR may make the insulin relatively ineffective, but the amount that the pancreas is conditioned to produce ends up lowering the blood sugar too far. Some of the sugar is forced into the cells, much of it is used by the insulin for fat storage. Many women with PCOS have hypoglycemia, and are properly treated for it with Metformin. Yet another one of the lovely symptoms of all that goes wrong with our endocrine system with PCOS!"

So for all you woman out there reading this I would suggest checking this out if it rings any bells for you.

If you do find out you have PCOS then the best diet is a low Gi and low fat diet that keeps the insulin levels down.

Z
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Zeal
|

replied February 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Zeal,

Good info. Thanks for taking the time to share this with other women. PCOS is one of the leading causes for female infertility. It can be managed with diet and weight control. This syndrome is directly associated with excess weight. My sister has PCOS and couldn't conceive. She went on a variation of the Atkins diet - no sugar or white flour. She finally got pregnant and has a beautiful baby now.
|

replied June 12th, 2011
Thank you for posting this information. My 24 yr old daughter just went through a 2 hour test for hypoglycemia and PCOS. Waiting results. Does anyone have suggestions of the best food to eat the night before bedtime. Her sickest time is in the morning.
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
PCOS
I have PCOS and at the start my doctor prescribed me with metformin but he has never explained why, although he did originally say it was ro regulate my periods but that can't be true? I have the same problems, symptoms wise, heart palpatations, lack of concentration, tiredness, and I gain weight SO easily but find it ridiculously hard to lose it. I've got to have an operation to remove my gallbladder due to 2 gallstones, and have been asked to try to lose some weight (a stone if possible) before the operation but the cravings I get for sugar and carbs is ridiculous! I find it near on impossible to ignore it and then of course my healthy eating goes to pot... It's a vicious circle I tell you! This was a very interesting post though and is very helpful!
|

replied September 12th, 2012
Thanks for the informations, I am not menstrauting regularly so decided to take pill so that i can have my period monthly, i took the pill for almost 2 years but I stopped using pills, and after i stopped it, the next month my period ddnt came, I am so worried about my irregular periods, some of my friends said that maybe i have this POCS desease, because i am not menstruating regularly, any advice, thanks
|