Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Community Chat Forum

Was Your Pregnancy Planned, Accidental, or Not Prevented? (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Was Your Pregnancy Planned, Accidental, or Not Prevented?
planned
accidental
not prevented
36%  36%  [ 9 ]
8%  8%  [ 2 ]
56%  56%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 25
Was Your Pregnancy Planned, Accidental, or Not Prevented?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
not prevented i must say Very Happy (on scott)
we were going threw a raw or not at all theme lol

but this one was deffo accidental
|

Especially eHealthy
You don't have a choice for the last two. Accidental is kind of the same as not prevented. A lot of women don't think they'll get pregnant *this* time.
|

User Profile
I say it was planned, but my hubby says we just weren't preventing. Rolling Eyes
|

Extremely eHealthy
It was planned. Just wasn't planned to happen so soon. I got pregnant 2 weeks after going off birth control. Shocked
|

Extremely eHealthy
Ingi wrote:
You don't have a choice for the last two. Accidental is kind of the same as not prevented. A lot of women don't think they'll get pregnant *this* time.

I don't think I'd consider ignorance (A lot of women don't think they'll get pregnant *this* time.) the same thing as not preventing. It depends on how honestly ignorant the person was. (ignorant simply means lack of knowledge in this context)
|

Especially eHealthy
i think i consider "accidental" to mean failed birth control... no?
|

User Profile
I quit taking bc 2 years ago and my husband and I started trying. After a year and a half of trying we gave up "trying" because we figured we weren't meant to have kids, and bam! I got pregnant. So it was kind of a non prevented, planned, surprise??? if that makes any sense
|

Especially eHealthy
futureshock wrote:
Ingi wrote:

I don't think I'd consider ignorance (A lot of women don't think they'll get pregnant *this* time.) the same thing as not preventing. It depends on how honestly ignorant the person was. (ignorant simply means lack of knowledge in this context)

Then there are a very lot of ignorant people. (Including me! Shocked )
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
In my case I think that my pregnancy falls into the last two categories. Accidental because I had no clue I could ever get pregnant (I still think I should be suing the doctor for child support) and not prevented for the same reason.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I'm caught between accidental & not prevented.. I was on birth control but ran out & my doc was out of the office so I couldn't get more pills, we got drunk one night & 'forgot' to use a condom because I was so used to being on the pill & never using them. So surprise, now I have a beautiful baby girl lol
|

Extremely eHealthy
With my daughter my BC failed. After I got married, my husband (now ex) and I tried and tried to get pregnant when we first got married. It never happened.
I was with my exboyfriend and most of the time we used protection, but there were drunken stupors that we didn't Embarassed It still didn't happen. I thought I wasn't able to, and along came Jaylon.
So, no he wasn't planned, he wasn't prevented, and he's the best accident that could have ever happened.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I guess I'd say Dante wasn't prevented. I was off the pill for the month, and had planned to go to the doctors at the end of the month when I got my period. For the time we were pulling out, but it didn't work. Smile
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Not prevented for me and my DH. We were engaged, had been together nearly 5 years and knew we wanted children at some point. We didn't use a condom a few times, knowing fully what the risks were and accepting them. TA-DA! Baby boy! Mr. Green
|

User Profile
Not prevented, we were just using the "pull out" method but not quite planned having a baby either even though we were talking about it. Guess we were asking for it lol but I'm glad my boy came when he did, my Dad has 1 year left at max to live & he at least got to see my son as this is my Dads first grandbaby. I WILL be on birth control from here on out. =) Babies are expensive, my son eats up a 25 dollar can in 5-7 days! Not to mention all the other stuff lol...
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I guess I was one of the "ignorant" ones who thought "it won't happen *this* time." It was probably more accidental since I was TRYING to prevent it...Note to self: methods that DON'T work: rhythm method and pull-out method. I mean, who gets pregnant 32 days after their last period! That's when my period was supposed to be "due" Shocked
|

Extremely eHealthy
sorry but doesnt not prevented fall under accidental? mine was accidental along with being with the father...ooops Shocked
|

Extremely eHealthy
BridgetHeartsFinn wrote:
i think i consider "accidental" to mean failed birth control... no?

Yes, that's exactly right.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Emma2 wrote:
sorry but doesnt not prevented fall under accidental? mine was accidental along with being with the father...ooops Shocked

I consider accidental to be a couple is actively trying NOT to conceive, i.e. using condoms or bc, etc., but pregnancy occurs anyway.

Not prevented means having sex without protection, but not actually trying or meaning to get pregnant.

On the topic of ignorance, here was mine:

I always pictured the way to get pregnant was to have sex right on the 14th day of your cycle so you get the sperm in as close to ovulation as possible. I didn't realize that if I ovulated a little bit earlier than the 14th day, I would be having sex too late in my cycle to get pregnant.

What I know now is it is that it's not really that the sperm is actively swimming to the the egg which is just sitting there like a target, but that it is better to have sex a little earlier than ovulation, because what happens is that the sperm all swim to get up into the fallopian tubes where it is the egg that comes floating down and crashing into the sperm that gets you pregnant.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
We were full on trying to get pregnant. It took us a year after going off the pill. We actually ended up finding out we were pregnant two weeks after I had bloodwork done for my infertility workup. It was definitely a very welcome blessing and I now have a beautiful baby girl.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply