Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Alternative Medicine Forum

a Non-prescription Way to Clear Up Toenail Fungus (Page 1)

If you have nail fungus or the medical term is onychomycosis - essential oils can be very effective.

The key phrase here is "non-prescription," because one of the ironies of this condition is that it's not harmful to your overall health, but the drugs used to address it definitely can be. Have you seen some of those toenail fungus commercials and listened to the side effects which include headaches, nausea, rashes and even blood disorders. .

After researching this condition, I have found that one of the most common natural treatments for toenail fungus is therapeutic tea tree essential oil. This is very hard to get rid of and is not something I could get rid of overnight, so I have taken this a step further - I found that a blend of tea tree, oregano and several other essential oils which have the same healing properties works wonders. I also discovered that liver damage is also enough of a danger that when taking prescription drugs you need to have liver function tested during the medication period, which can take up to a year or more. I assume that's because toenails grow very slowly, and the healing progresses at the same slow speed.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper antiagingchoices
|

replied May 8th, 2004
Hello, antiagingchoices:
i have come to a similar conclusion, that tea tree oil combined with certain herbs really does get rid of my toenail fungus. I had to put the stuff on for a few weeks, but the greeny/black fungus is going away, and the new nail growing in is clear. I'm sooo happy!

I found a great info site (non-profit) at www.Toenailfungus.Org

susan
|

replied September 12th, 2011
Hi Susan - did your solution work? If so, what is the exact quantity of each to mix and how often did you apply it?
What herbs did you mix with the tea tree oil?

thanks
|

replied July 9th, 2015
Extremely eHealthy
try vinegar in warm water foot soaks......
|

replied July 11th, 2004
I used a 70/30 liquid solution of dmso and aloe vera juice. Worked great. I also use a 70/30 dmso/aloevera gel for pain relief (sore muscles, tendons, etc). Absolutely amazing at how quick it works. Just be careful where you get it and make sure it's pure.
|

replied October 3rd, 2005
What is dmso?

Go to forladiesonlyparty.Com. It is a lingerie web site but also has great all natural body care stuff too. I bought something called miracle oil ($15). It has essential oils in it, tea tree oil and others. You can use it on almost anything. I have been putting it on my craked heels.
|

replied December 3rd, 2005
I've tried most of the home remedies for toenail fungus. A mixture of vinegar and vicks vaporub worked for me, for now at least. I still have to apply vinegar occasionally. Some people mention bleach, but I wouldn't mess with that, it's such a powerful chemical. Saw it here:

www.Nail-fungus.Org/home-remedy.Html
|

replied April 12th, 2006
A newspaper Dr. Recomened suggests rubbing vicks on it twice a day my hosband did & his fungus went away it does take awhile tho u have to stick at it
|

replied October 2nd, 2007
Dmso
Hello,

I have reviewed the information for DMSO
and I was wondering if somebody has experienced this
medicine. Can we consider this as a common way of healing?

Thank you.
|

replied October 15th, 2007
A friend of mine tried a combination of home remedies but with no success.
He eventually had to have his toenail remove. So I think the best way is to talk
to a doctor and find a safe way of getting rid of the fungus. Education is the key!

|

replied October 28th, 2009
They say tea tree oil is perfect for nail fungus!

|

replied December 10th, 2009
My sister was suffering from toenail fungus for years and tried everything. I ordered her a bottle of a product containing Tea Tree Oil, Cypress Oil, and Olive Squalane. She had major improvement in just two weeks and now there is no longer a trace of fungus. I got the product at bartenblends.com
|

replied March 12th, 2010
I'd like to try a Tea Tree Oil but I've got a question. Do you just apply it to the top of your nail or do you have to try to get it under the nail?

My nails have been messed up for so long I'm not sure anything will work but I'd like to give the Tea Tree Oil a try.
|

replied March 19th, 2010
I have a friend who used a product called toefui to get rid of hers. It was all natural, though i don't know exactly what was in it. It was a soak though, unlike the other stuff I've heard about. I guess I'm going to try tea tree oil first, and if not cough up the money for that. Any other products out there I should know about?
|

replied May 22nd, 2010
Curing Nail Fungus
I have tried just about all the home remedies like Vicks vaporub, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, oregano oil, Listerine, tea tree oil, etc. but nothing worked. Then I looked at several products on the market but many were too expensive. I decided to try a product called Fungiban . After a few months, I could see new clear nails growing from the base of my toes. This is a very good toenail fungus treatment and was the only thing that worked for me.
|

replied May 25th, 2010
Of late, there are a number of people suffering from toenail fungus. In fact, the problem arises in people whose working area involves swimming pools, spas, locker rooms and so on. The fungus flourishes in dark and damp places. The problem is not fatal, but it is extremely uncomfortable and embarrassing. So, you need to seek for toenail fungus treatment. The fungus dwells under the nail’s surface.
|

replied November 15th, 2010
We found a real nail fungus cure at fixfingernailfungus
d o t c o m. It really worked. His nails were black, cracked, pitted, missing cuticles, hurt and smelled. Over five years it spread to all ten fingers.
We went to many doctors and tried every cure we could find on the internet and over the counter. We stumbled on this site, paid twenty dollars, and had lots of help and feedback as we started this simple cure and watched his nails heal. Today they are pink and healthy, really a miracle. There is a money back guarantee, so how can you lose? This is the last place you will look and the last place you will spend money. I hope this site leaves this up for those who so desperately need it, like we did.
|

replied April 14th, 2011
reply:
Great forum, its really helpful for all of you for trying to contribute to help others. I have been through the same phase, thankfully it has passed away. Would like you to recommend the info below.
|

replied June 17th, 2011
Great thread. I suffered from toenail fungus before and natural remedies are definitely the best way to go. I used tea tree oil, thyme as well as grapefruit extract as well as ZeroFungus topical cream. Now, I am free from toenail fungus and hopefully, it will not recur in the future.
|

help re: anti-fungal cure
Please tell me if you mixed the tea tree oil with dried thyme and grapefruit extract and how much of each?
did you also use the topical cream together with it?
How long did it take to cure?

thank you
|

help re: anti-fungal cure
Please tell me if you mixed the tea tree oil with dried thyme and grapefruit extract and how much of each?
did you also use the topical cream together with it?
How long did it take to cure?

thank you
|

replied June 30th, 2011
Foot fungus
A cure that worked for my fungal feet was to soak my feet in a fifty fifty mixture of cider vinegar and warm water, two pints in total. I found an old plastic washing bowl worked well.

Soak for half an hour or so and let the feet dry naturally. The primary cause may have been my socks, so I now wear wool and give them a rinse in cheap malt vinegar which I allow to dry into the fibres. I treated my training shoes by wearing vinegar soaked socks in the shoes for a few hours. This could be tried with leather, should not damage the leather but may ruin the colour, finish etc.

Hope this helps
|

replied October 10th, 2011
If you really want to cure your nail from fungi bacteria you should have to wear always shoes whenever you out from your house. Toe nail fungus occurs during rainy season because fungi bacteria wants to live at moisture place. So always keep clean and dry your toe nails as well as other nails.
|

replied July 20th, 2011
funkytoenail wrote:

One Other but effective solution is to use a toe nail fungus medicine in order to get rid form the toe nail fungus and cure Onchomycosis and other fungal diseases which damage the nails without facing any side effects. Though, there are some home made remedies but it is not possible to cure an infected nail with such remedies. To complete treat Onchomycosis, it is the best to use a proper medicine for getting beautiful and healthy nail nails.

|

replied August 25th, 2011
Experienced User
I read a forum where one said that by just dropping vinegar on the base of the infected nail instead of soaking it, the fungus will clear out. The soaking method is quite tedious for me though but I believe it's effective. But for busy people like me, I think our preference will go to over the counter treatments like Fungusil, Zerofungus, etc.
|
Quick Reply