Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Kidney Stone in Bladder (Page 1)

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Last thursday, i was rushed to the hospital due to a kidney stone. The CT scan measured it at 4mm and it was still in my ureter. Once i was sent home later that day, the pain was gone. The doc said that when the pain stops, the stone had made its way to the bladder. now 5 days later, i still have it!

Ive been drinking loads of water, a little bit over the recommended amount of 8-10 glasses a day. I have not been drinking a lot of juice and my diet is pretty much the same since i dont know what kind of stone i have. I know that this stone is small enough for me to pass, but im tired of playing the waiting game. I have no pain in my bladder, ureter or kidneys. I feel pretty much normal with the exception of going to the bathroom a lot more. I researched online for home remedies that could help break up the stone and the only thing ive tried was the lemon juice and olive oil combination. ive only done this three times in the past 24hrs. and still no result. I just want this thing out of my bladder w/o going through surgery.

I go to the urologist next week so im hoping i can pass this thing within that time, so i have 3 questions:
1. Is there a reason why the stone seems to be "stuck" in my bladder?
2. Is it still possible to dissolve some of the stone while its still in my bladder?
3.Can anyone suggest any more foods/liquids that could help break up my stone?
Thanks and I appreciate it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Judyturt
|

replied February 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi

The stones get lodged due to the jagged edges they form.
I'm unsure of any home remedies to break up a stone. Drinking plenty of fluids is the only thing I am aware of.
If you begin to get pain in the kidneys, ureters, bladder, etc.. your best bet would be is to go to the ER. I know I hate going there myself. You need to be careful the stone does not lodge in a place that will cause an obstruction.
Are you straining your urine? If not you can get a paint strainer from your local home improvement store to strain your urine and catch the stone to get it analyzed and find out what type you are making.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Owwwww! I have had one kidney stone and it was the worst pain ever! Mine thankfully was very uncomplicated and I passed it with in a few days...all the while being heavily medicated. My doctor advised cranberry juice and hot baths. If your in horrible pain I would call your doctor. My thoughts are with you.
|

well i dont feel any pain, thats the weird thing. What foods should i eat/stay away from while the stone is still in me?
|

replied July 8th, 2012
kidney stone stuck in bladder
I passed a kidney stone through my ureter last August and it was in my bladder for 10 months! I had absolutely no symptoms until about a month before I passed it out of my body completely. For about 5 weeks I had bladder pain, shooting pain that would come and go. I thought I had a bladder infection even though I've had those before and this seemed different. I took an antibiotic which helped a little temporarily. I finally passed the dang thing. I passed another kidney stone through my ureter on June 27th and now the same thing is happening. My bladder was hurting so much last night that I was crying and had to take a pain pill. I wish I had an answer for you as to how to flush it out but unfortunately I don't. If anyone knows, please post it! I would love to get this thing out of my bladder as it is causing suffering and I'm afraid to leave the house because I don't want to get stranded somewhere while in pain!
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

Active User, very eHealthy
I know that milk and iced tea (not important unless your a southerner) are not good for kidney stones. I'm sure you have one of those strainers so you would know if you passed it....I had pain, even with meds, through out the entire thing. Did your doctor prescribe a diuretic? Mine did, on the condition that I would drink EXTRA fluids (water and cranberry). Seriouly I was drinking and peeing every 30 minuets. Like I said above, I passed mine very quickly, so maybe I'm not that much help?
|

kidney stone
kidney stones can come to a stoping point. You can carry them for months. I am 24 years old and I just had one that caused me to have to have sugery because it was to big for me to pass. But pure home made lemon juice works ad I have tried canberry juice and lots of walking.
|

replied February 20th, 2008
thanks for the suggestions. ill go into more detail though. the first few days i was drinkin so much water i was going to the bathroom about every 30 mins. and during those days, i was very active. i reffed 7 basketball games over the weekend so that kept me on my feet. i still go to the bathroom often and i started to add pure lemon juice to my water. im just surprised i haven't passed it yet since its not too big. maybe ill try the cranberry juice soon.
|

replied February 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You asked about what to stay away from with stones, there are diets for people who make stones.
First it depends on the type of stone. Many are oxalate stones...look up kidney stone diets.
You would be amazed at what foods contain oxalate. No doctor ever told me what to avoid except when I was younger they believed that calcium was a big culprit now they find it is sodium and oxalate.
In my case I stopped dairy products and now I have osteoporosis and I'm not even 40 yet.
I am still watching my diet but there are times I make stones like there's no tomorrow.
I have had them and even passed them with little or no pain just some twinges of pain when it did pass through, it all depends on the size, I think in my case because I've gotten them for so long that I know what to expect. Even my son passed some and didn't have much pain at time with some of them.
Everyone's body is different with pain BUT the main thing is if you feel a lot of pain get to the ER or doctor.

Best Wishes
|

replied February 26th, 2008
thanks for all the support, but i got great news. i went to the urologist today and got an x-ray. we examined the cat scan from 2 weeks ago and saw the stone at the bottom of the ureter. then we looked at the x-ray of my bladder and there was no stone to be found! Doc said that i probably passed it and didnt even know. im pretty sure that lemon juice and olive oil combination actually worked! plus drinking a ton of water and trying to stay active. im so happy i didnt have to painfully pass that thing. the unfortunate thing is that i wasnt able to get a sample to see what kind of stone i had, but im guessing i had a calcium oxalate one. so advice to those who have this type of stone, drink tons of water and maybe add some lemon juice to it. i read that these types of stones cant survive in acidic environments.
|

replied February 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Congrats that's great news.
Smile
|

replied January 19th, 2010
Kidney Stones
If it was calcium oxalate a change in diet is not going to assist you in not getting them again. Basically the only thing that really helps with this is drinking plenty of fluids, making sure you're staying healthy (exercising and eating right), and possibly (if the urologist concurs) being on potassium citrate. I recommend going to kidney.org if you really want to find out more information regarding kidney stones and how to keep them away. Good luck!!
|

replied October 18th, 2010
Kidney stones
Did any of you have pressure in your stomach
|

replied November 11th, 2011
I had pressure/bloating just before the pain would start, then it disappeared (or I didn't notice as much with the extreme pain)
|

replied October 23rd, 2010
@slesliep - yes I am getting pressure in my stomach (or bladder) region. I have a 3m stone right now that has passed through the kidney but is lodged in the bladder. Its been about 5 days now and it hasn't left the body. Its driving me nuts! I will try the lemon juice method and see if that helps, but I am drinking so much water these days, I think I may just drown.
|

replied November 23rd, 2010
Kidney stones?
I been having troubles with pain on my right side where my kidney is, the pain is so horrible i could cry. I'm not sure if it is kidney stones or not but when i pee there is some blood in my urine, not sure if it is due to the pain or whatever is going on. It just started this morning and thats when everything happened!!
|

replied May 16th, 2012
The same thing happened to me! I had the worst pain in my kidney region. I have a 6mm kidney stone that's shaped like a football. I have spent the past month and a half trying to get this thing out. 4 ER visits. hundreds of pain killers. It hurts. But when I was peeing blood I went in. Basically when your stone gets lodged in the ureter it backsup all your urine and makes your kidney swell, hence the unbearable pain! You pee blood because it's cutting you up as the stone moves along
|

replied December 9th, 2010
Is it possible for the stone to travel backwards? I first felt the pain in my bladder and then I literally felt the pain move up into my side and then my back. I went to the ER and they gave me Demoral (sp) and now I've had no pain since. Very confusing!
|

replied January 27th, 2011
What do I look for if the pain has stopped but no stone passed?
It has been almost 4 weeks since my pain stopped. I was brought to the ER with severe pain and it was a 4mm stone very near the bladder. The pain stopped 4 weeks ago but no sign of the stone. Now I'm feeling pressure like I have to pee. I'm guess the stone is still in the bladder? Does it take awhile to travel down the euretha (spelling?)
|

replied March 10th, 2011
Kidney Stone in Bladder
From what I hear it only has a short way to travel from the bladder through the urethra. I was diagnosed in December 2010 and was rushed to the ER and the pain stopped after I changed my diet. Last Saturday I was rushed back to the ER for the same pain and was told that the 4mm stone was still in my body. After hours in the ER, I was sent home with pain meds. The very next day I still couldn't face the pain and returned to the ER. I was reassured that it would pass but I couldn't stop vomitting. I was then given an IV and was sent home again. On day 3, I was rushed back to the ER because I had some slight bleeding and then I was given a CT scan. I was told the stone was lodged right above my bladder and once it hit my bladder, then the pain would stop. After having my family search online for remedies, they came across a website that had given 5 steps with the first being drink 10 10oz glasses of water. Next, drink lemon juice. Following that drink some cola (I chose Coke Cola). I have to admit, after trying these 3, I felt 100% better and my pain went away totally. Now, I want to know, how do I know if the stone has moved into my bladder? If it has, will I still have pain in my lower back and side or does the pain go away until the stone is ready to move through the urethra? Please help!!!!
|

replied June 17th, 2011
Kidney stone
I went through horrific pain recently with a single hook shaped 4mm long kidney stone. So painful and it was lodged in my ureta (between the kidney and the bladder) for roughly 2 weeks. I was passing blood. Once it passed into my bladder it just became irritating. I was on Flomaxtra which helped. A tip:-I am a guy and I could not pass the thing standing up until I decided to sit down when I went to the toilet and I passed it first time! Regards, Tom.
|

replied September 9th, 2011
I experienced left flank pain for 2 day intervals 3 months in a row, the 4th episode brought me to the ER, CT found a 5mm stone in my ureter. Urinalsis and blood work was ok. Was instructed to go home and DRINK. Lots of pain, but drank tons of water. Following day the pain continued for I was dizzy and feverish so (as instructed by ER) went back. (8/21)/2011)More blood and urine cultures and an ultrasound...3 hours later I am rushed into surgery, the stone blocked all urine output and my kidney was septic. Dr's called it a close call. They inserted a uretal stent, was in ICU and the Surgical care unit for a week. I haven't had any recurring flank pain but the pain in my bladder is unreal. Lots of pressure, urgency and pain upon urinating. There is some blood in the urine. I don't see the urologist for a followup for 2 more weeks. Is this pain normal?
|

I just had a 5mm stone in my ureter after annoying pain for 5 hours and flu like symptoms during the week. ER determined it was a kidney stone via CT scan and I would probably pass it on the week-end. Not happening. I got an appt with the urologist and had the lithotripsy done which was awesome and it broke it all up and all gone but a little one still in the bladder. I am drinking water like a fish and don't care. These are known to return once you get them, so at 55 will do anything to prevent this I know it's because I take Calcium and do not drink hardly at all, so that is what i am doing now. Also told Apple Cider Vinegar helps due to the acid, so they do have this in pill form as it tastes awful, but I tried it the week-end I was waiting for it to pass. I also had microscopic blood in my urine and they knew immediately I had a kidney stone. Keep the updates and hints coming in. I drink lemon juice with sweet N Low in my water here and there to have lemon aid and just for a change.
|

I just had a 5mm stone in my ureter after annoying pain for 5 hours and flu like symptoms during the week. ER determined it was a kidney stone via CT scan and I would probably pass it on the week-end. Not happening. I got an appt with the urologist and had the lithotripsy done which was awesome and it broke it all up and all gone but a little one still in the bladder. I am drinking water like a fish and don't care. These are known to return once you get them, so at 55 will do anything to prevent this I know it's because I take Calcium and do not drink hardly at all, so that is what i am doing now. Also told Apple Cider Vinegar helps due to the acid, so they do have this in pill form as it tastes awful, but I tried it the week-end I was waiting for it to pass. I also had microscopic blood in my urine and they knew immediately I had a kidney stone. Keep the updates and hints coming in. I drink lemon juice with sweet N Low in my water here and there to have lemon aid and just for a change.
|

Well finally saw urologist 9/26 and had SDS on 9/30 to remove the stent and het the stone out. The had to put in a new stent only this one had a string attached since it was only meant for the weekend. Went home that night with no issues, but was rushed to ER following afternoon with urosepsis/ septic shock. Spent another week on the surgical floor with tons of antibiotics but with high fevers and as Dr said, another close call.
They removed the stent just before I was discharged and I am happy to say I have been healthy for a month now....praying for no recurrences....
|

Will pray for you as well. They are nasty buggers and can really cause a lot of problems. So glad you got it taken care of and will pray it stays this way. God Bless
|

replied November 20th, 2011
Hi, I had been getting servere bouts of pain in my right kidney for three months. when i get the pain i would be nauseated, feel like i need to pass urine, pain would be unbearable but it would pass then would have a few days piece until it returned again. So after 3 months got the pain again on fri but nothing was shifting the pain. went to a and e - had kub xray, kub ct and ultrasound. Should a 6mm stone but it has passed to my bladder. Also shows i have hydronephrosis (which they think was caused by the stone so will correct). was instructed that i should pass the stone but if i get any pain i must go straight back to a and e.

How long will it take to pass???
|

replied November 20th, 2011
Oh, that is not small and ouch - I would see a urologist and see if you can get the procedure done to break it up. Depends on your insurance situation. It was driving me nuts to know it was there and I could be in agonizing pain like a time bomb, so I was able to get the procedure done. Drink lots and lots of water and lemon juice is good too. Did they give you the strainer so you see if you pass it? I cannot imagine passing it pain free. Keep me updated. I did not drink enough which caused mine and I take Calcium - age - 55. So now I drink 5-6 16.9 bottles of water/day with lemon juice in some.
|
12 >>