Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

zoloft & klonopin reactions

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
i went to see my doc this morning. she prescribed be zoloft & klonopin. Im suppose to take them both daily. zoloft with every meal and klonopin before bed.
Im kind of worried though.
I was wondering if anyone could give me there thoughts on them before i begin taking them.

also, i know that some meds have a negative reaction with the sun (photosensitive)....do these have that?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 19th, 2008
I personally didn't like Zoloft
I personally didn't like Zoloft, but everyone is so different with each medication, as I'm learning slowly. Everything I've read about all these different anxiety/depression meds are that they cause different things in different people. I didn't like Zoloft because it made me feel very jittery. It was the same way with Effexor XR. I don't like feeling like that. Anxiety and stress are the reason why I went to the doc in the first place, but these are all basically depression meds, I guess. They say that they are for anxiety, as well, but they make me feel jittery, like I've drank 5 cups of very strong coffee and didn't have anything to eat with it. It almost feels like taking Metabolife. I don't know if anyone remembers that diet pill, but I tried it several years ago. I hated the way it made me feel. Shakey and my heart felt like it was going to pound out of my chest. I had some people tell me to just keep taking the Zoloft and it would eventually get better, but I felt so much worse that I already did. . . I just had to stop taking it. I'm not sure what to do now. I feel like I need something to relax me. Not sure there is a med out there for that. Sorry. I guess that wasn't much help. I feel so confused, as well. If you have any opinions for me, I would appreciate it, as well.
Thanks for listening.
|

what was your dosage of zoloft? mine is 50mg (3 times a day).

as for relaxing, ive read some boards where people mention some tea's to drink and stuff?

i too need a relaxant. my muscles in my face and neck are so tight. (i also have tmj). its causing me to have a really bad headache.

hopefully someone else will have ideas and ways to help us Smile
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I don't know about the other medication you are taking, but Zoloft was horrible. It made me so drowsy and made all my symptoms tons worse as soon as I started taking it. My doctor didn't believe that I could react to it right away like that, but I know how I felt and stopped taking it after less than a week and those effects immediately went away.
|

yikes. i no good responsed on zoloft Sad

has anyone gained weight from the meds?
|

Extremely eHealthy
I for one never did well on Zoloft. Doing much better since being switched over to Lexepro and Klonopin and Lamictal. You have to understand that sometimes it takes time for your doctor to find just the right package for you. I was on Xanax for over 4 years. Then my neurologist decided he wanted me on Klonopin. Best thing he could have done for me. Been doing pretty well since on the three I am on now. You will get the right ingredients for the cake, trust me. It just won't happen over night, that's all.
And yes, I have gain some weight UGH............About 6 lbs in a little over a month.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I agree
I have to agree with some of what the others here have had to say about Zoloft. I took it for a couple of weeks, did not like the way it made me feel, in which I could not tell a difference in depression, but my doctor told me it would take almost 30 days for this to get into my system. So like a !**@! I took them......I switched after 2 months of "letting this get into my system" to Effexor 75mg.....was on this for over 5 years....and slowly weaned myself to 37.5 mg a day....then I quit taking them at all. I have had so many people tell me the horrors of trying to get off Effexor. Like the others here have said its like trial and error. You will have to find a combination that works for you only. Hope you find it soon and get to feeling better! Laughing
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Interesting - most people I know had great responses on Zoloft. For me, Zoloft did absolutely nothing - really nothing. Not even the highest dose. I was taking it for severe anxiety. I did best on Lamictal (mood stabilizer) and Klonopin.

Everyone is so different.

Zoloft and Lexapro seems to have the fewest side effects for most people. Let us know how it works for you. Isn't zoloft supposed to be "weight neutral?" I don't know about Klonopin. I have a fast metabolism, so Klonopin didn't do anything to me.
|

thanks for the replies.
i took my first dosesof zoloft & klonopin tuesday night. had a panic attack wednesday afternoon.

i know zoloft takes a while to get into your system but what about klonopin?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
klonopin should work immediately. What dose??
|

.5 klonopin but i split it in half?

my doc told me to take my 50 mg zoloft at night along with 1/2 of my .5 mg klonopin then take the other half of klonopin during the day.

i took both of the meds together last night for the first time and today i feel so unsteady and tired. i can barely keep my eyes open or walk straight. so im worried that if i take that other half during the day, it will just make it worse?
|

replied February 25th, 2008
Zoloft
I am on zoloft and it works fine for me. I dont feel like a zombie still have plenty of engery through the day and dont feel like the others have. Every med is different for different people, you should try it and then if it makes you feel crappy then switch, it may be best for you.
|

replied February 25th, 2008
OT30,
how long have you been on zoloft?

its only been 5 days for me and its making me feel more anxious, unmotivated to even get out of bed, and i just dont feel like myself.

do these feelings pass?

Im on klonopin to help with the zoloft side effects but it doesnt seem to be doing much. do you think it could be conflicting with the zolofts side effect of anxiety?
|

replied March 1st, 2008
Zoloft
I have been on zoloft for little over a month now, the first couple weeks are the hardest as your body needs to get used to the medicine. I was tired, felt crappy when i first begin taking it, but your body soon adjusts to it, least mine did.
|

replied March 1st, 2008
I took Zoloft and it sent me to the hospital. My boyfried take Klonopin and it has made it feel great. For those times when that is not enough...he was given xanax to take the edge off but he rarely has to do that because the Klonopin works so well.
|

replied March 1st, 2008
when does he take klonopin? and what dose?

i take .5 mg every night before bed. its doing nothing. im so anxious.
but i've also been taking zoloft 50 mg so i dont know if its taking away from the benefits of klonopin or what??!!
|

replied June 24th, 2009
Klon and Zoloft taken together reaction
i am prescribed 2mg of klon. three times a day as needed and it works...as you would imagine Surprised). and i dont feel tired, but, instead, can function and feel energized. But, I also take zoloft at night and it doesnt do well with the klon as of right now. i have to go back to doc and ask for something different. or just take my klon, and forget about depression meds. i feel fine until i take the zoloft. i am not slightly depressed but have tons of anxiety (crippling). half of a .5mg i couldnt imagine would do much. take a 1mg or 2mg right when you wake and that does the trick. as far as the depression meds, that, like most people here have mentioned, is a tough and difficult one and needs to be regulated and spoken with doc. any replies welcome. just throwing that out there.
|

replied August 4th, 2010
i take 75 mg of zoloft and .75 mg of klonopin and so far so good. i do agree that every person is different. i used to be on effexor which is supposed to help you stay awake but i kept getting really tired after taking it. my doctor just told me to take it before bed. your doses of zoloft and klonopin shouldnt be affecting each other,but what you need to do is talk to your doc. tell them EXACTLY how you feel when you feel it and what you think. if they are a good doc, they will change when you take it or try something else. i agree with the others when saying that sometimes it takes some testing the waters of many drugs before you find what works for you.
|

replied October 31st, 2012
Meds
After taking Xanax for 12 years and my pcp tried added busbar - landed me in the hospital , while there the dr has gave me 50 mg. of Zoloft & .05 kol .. First week was great , I'm on my 3 rd week ... I don't think Zoloft is working anymore Sad .. I'm praying everything works out I don't want to take more & more .. Good luck everyone .
|