Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

pain in back right of head

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Ok, so before I get to my issue, let me give you a little insight on myself so that it may give some reason to my problem. I am a single 18 y/o living in Virginia Beach, VA. I am attending a local community college, aspiring to join the Radiology Program. I work 5 days a week, about 4 or 5 hours a day as a lab courier at a local Hospital, just driving around from doctors office to doctors office...moderatley low stress. Im a moderate to heavy smoker, averaging about 15 cigarettes a day. I AM a pessimistic hypochondriac...so in other words...if I feel a chronic pain in my leg, its only natural for my mind to automatically jump to "Oh, I have a DVT" (blood clot) Yea, I know you're probably thinking "Oh yea, good idea, you're a hypochondriac so go into the medical field and learn about ALLLL the things that can go wrong with your body."
Ok, so here's my problem. Last Wed. I was at my friend's dorm room, I was sitting on her bed and I got a pain in the back-right portion of my head...it lasted for a minute or two and then went away. I went home about 2 hours later, not having any problems, and once I got home, the pain came back. It would come and go and it was very annoying. I went to bed, and I woke up feeling fine. I felt fine all day, but the pain came back that evening at work...around 6pm. Every day since then, the pain has come back, but it's very strange. It's usually centralized to that back-right part of my head, the pain is very dull and may not even be classified as pain...more like intense pressure. Some times I feel it in other parts of my head (back-left, right side above my temple, etc.) but its mostly in that back-right portion of my head. It's been almost a week now, and of course, my first reaction was "!**@!, I have a brain tumor" I am afraid to go see a doctor because I dont want him to tell me something I dont want to know. Can someone shed some light on this situation?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Is the pain you feel located, most of the time, in the back of your neck at the base of your skull?
Do the headaches sometimes spread like a dull, achy pain or sensation of tightness in your forehead or at the sides along with affected back of your head?
Do you find difficulty concentrating?
Do you feel fatigue and irritable at that moments?
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2008
Experienced User
It sounds like a bit of tension which because you are focusing on and worrying about keeps returning. The mind is very powerful and if you think something it can happen, for example some natural doctors have given sugar tablets to patients suffering mild conditions and telling them it was medication and the patients immediatly recover. You being a natural worry wart causes these head ache like symptoms to frequently come back. Do you get these feelings when you are having fun and completely distracted? I think you only get these when sub contiously you are focusing on it. A close family member was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer after having natural remedies he is cancer free. Even if it were a brain tumour its likely you wouldn't feel pain in that area as the brain is the only organ in the human body that cannot feel pain.
|

replied June 13th, 2010
Hmm
Probably fellow students screwing with your brain.. nothing u can do about it... lol
|