Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Birth control time period to be pregnant

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I recently stopped taking my birth control yesterday from migraine headaches and I was wondering how long does it take for your period to come since I just had one? And how long before I can get pregnant?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
No way to know- it could come in a month when it's supposed to, or any other time. Your body will react uniquely. Smile Fertility can return anywhere from the day after to the next year. But remember: a normal healthy couple may take up to a year to conceive.
|

replied February 19th, 2008
thank you for your reply and yeah i already started and my cramps are worse than ever i cant barely move they hurt so bad Sad
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Right after you come off the pill your cramps may be bad for a while, because you've been used to the lighter cramps that the pill causes.

Good luck!
Since you're getting your period you cycle is probably getting back to normal, and you should be able to conceive soon.
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are you trying to conceive? If you aren't, there are many non hormonal methods out there that shouldn't give you such a bad headache (condoms, spermicide, cervical caps, etc). If you are, then good luck and lots of baby dust!
|

replied February 21st, 2008
i dont know
i just got off the depo shot about 3 montha ago and still no period....and im really trying toget pregnant does anyone know how long it might take ......
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2008
Especially eHealthy
For depo, it might take up to a year for your cycle to regulate (to get your period). After you get your period again, you will be more likely to conceive.

Remember, it takes a normal healthy couple up to a year to conceive.
|

replied February 27th, 2008
it wasnt my choice to get on the shot
i was in the hospital knocked out and i was bleeding for 34 days straight and they had to give me the shot to stop the bleeding.now ive been reading the posts and stuff and it might take me a year to be able to get my period and conceive???!
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2008
Experienced User
Re: it wasnt my choice to get on the shot
brittanymichelle08 wrote:
i was in the hospital knocked out and i was bleeding for 34 days straight and they had to give me the shot to stop the bleeding.now ive been reading the posts and stuff and it might take me a year to be able to get my period and conceive???!

Why were you in the hospital? And you were having vaginal bleeding for 34 days? And what makes you think it will take a year to conceive from what you've experienced. It can take up to a year for conception of any healthy couple TTC.
|

replied March 1st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Because it's the truth, justforfun. It takes a healthy couple up to a YEAR to concieve!! This woman has been injected with depo to stop the bleeding, so after she gets off of it she will still have to wait up to a year for her period to come back and conceive.
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2008
Experienced User
Eiri wrote:
Because it's the truth, justforfun. It takes a healthy couple up to a YEAR to concieve!! This woman has been injected with depo to stop the bleeding, so after she gets off of it she will still have to wait up to a year for her period to come back and conceive.

I wasn't saying that it WOULD NOT take up to a year to conceive. If you re-read my post I also stated that it takes a healthy couple up to a year to conceive. I was asking why she thought what she thought from her experiences. And are you saying that after one injection of depo it will take her a year to re-start her period? Because if that's what you're saying you are wrong! I had one shot and bleed the whole time! 4 months to be exact!!! It NEVER stopped my period once. And once the med was out of my system my period was completly normal! It did however take me 1 year and 7 months to become pregnant. Even though we were not actually trying. We just stopped bc. (BTW...I jsut hit the submit button and it said I was using words that would be censored and that I risk being banned because of this....there are no curse words or foul laungage of ANY sort....so I have no clue what's gonna be censored when I re-submit this!) just an FYI
|

replied March 2nd, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I am saying it CAN, not that "in-all-cases-this-will-happen". However the truth is that it CAN take UP TO A YEAR for her period to return. I had one shot in October, bled once in November, didn't get my next shot in December and only had light spotting for one day in January. I have not had ANY bleeding since then and I have been off the shot since December. It is now MARCH. When will my period return? Who knows! It doesn't personally bother me.
|

replied March 2nd, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Also, for some reason right now the new word filter is attack every post done the normal way or quoted. If you use the quick reply box it won't happen.
|

replied May 1st, 2008
Just a question...
I took one shot of Depo and due to other seizure medication that I take, my dr. said it would be only 60% effective and to always use a condom. I got the shot in October and had light bleeding with it and SEVERE side effects. My fiancee and I decided not to use Depo again and haven't used contraceptives since. We are actively trying to get pregnant. I have had normal periods every month since December, and have missed this month. Just wondering if the normal 6-18 month rule applies to me.
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2010
I know I am way late on this topic but I took one shot of depo in Oct of 2007 was suppose to go back and get the next shot in Jan of 2008 but I didnt.. it took me 7 mos to get my period back and another 10 mos to get pregnant after stopping the depo shot so a total of 17 mos to become pregnant.I finally got pregnant in April of 2009 and had my Son Jan 2010
|