Medical Questions > Nutrition > Diets and Diet Plans Forum

fruit & veggie diet side effects (Page 1)

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
Hey guys,

I would like to start a fruit & veggie diet but before doing so, does anyone know of any side affects? Is this unhealthy? Any experiences?

Thanks,
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rickdavis2008
|

replied April 26th, 2008
Supporter
I don't know what you mean by 'fruit and veggie' diet but I assume it would involve mainly fruit and veggies.

Whereas fruit and veggies aren't bad, you need everything in moderation. Yes there will be side effects, your body needs protein and fats to function properly.

I hope by now you've found a healthy diet Smile
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Adding fruits in veggies in your diet are good, but it cannot be all you eat. If you are on a diet of JUST fruits and vegetables, there will be some side effects, and not good ones. Your body still need proteins and fats and tons of other nutrients that you can't find in just fruits and vegetables. The most healthy diet you can be on is one where you follow the food pyramid. Then you will have the perfect amount of everything for you to be healthy.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied June 8th, 2012
all fruit and veggie diet/ food pyriamid
Yes, because we all know that the Government truly cares about us, and isn't at all beholden to Agribusiness, and The Beef and Dairy Councils who spend billions on Lobbying for their industries. Eat lots and lots of fruit and veggies, and incorporate healthy fats and proteins. Follow your body's cues- it will let you know what you need; if you are sluggish and tired, you probably need more protein, if you are hungry all the time, you probably need more fat- All of which are readily available in plant based foods.(Tofu, avocado, almonds, rice milk, coconut, and meat substitutes)
Also, adopting a healthy lifestyle is a much more successful plan for long term weight loss and health, as opposed to constantly "dieting".

Smile
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2008
Community Volunteer
You can't get everything you need from fruits and veggies. You will need protein like the other's said. If you are considering a vegan diet, then you can use tofu or beans as a protein, plus you might want to take a whole-foods multivitamin to make up for anything you missed. Nuts are good as well and also contain healthy fats. Olive oil is good too, which you could use for dressings or cooking.

The other problem is that you will be hungry all the time with only the fruit and veggies. You will probably have to be eating most of the time to keep yourself functioning.
|

replied September 24th, 2008
Re:diet
Fruits are very useful to our health because its contain more minerals,vitamins and proteins.Fruits are the best diet food.If we take the fruits we need not eat any type of food.Its a wonder medicine for our health.

replied September 24th, 2008
Supporter
Fruit contains a lot of fructose, which is a single unit sugar (as is glucose). Fruit is good for you, but like everything it's in moderation. It's not a miracle food to be eaten in excess, and if you have blood sugar problems such as diabetes it should be limited if not avoided altogether.
|

replied February 24th, 2009
The key to a nutritionally sound vegan diet is variety. A healthy and varied vegan diet includes fruits, vegetables, plenty of leafy greens, whole grain products, nuts, seeds, and legumes. Do some research and find exactly which foods have the most nutritional value, and be sure to include them in your diet.

And you won't be hungry all the time. If you resist the urge to splurge on bad fatty foods, eventually you won't want them any more.
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
I agree with you mominashoe.. although fruits and veggies are good, our body still needs protein..
|

replied May 28th, 2009
I am on a fruit and veggie diet
You can survive for a while on only fruits and veggies because there are fruits such as avacados that have plenty of fat that you need. Plus there are many vegtables that have a decent amount of protein such as colliflower and asparigus
|

replied January 4th, 2012
veg and fruit diet
Thank you..at the start did you get a headache and light-headed.
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
30 pounds
I am on a quest to lose 30 pounds where should I start and what should I do?
|

replied August 10th, 2010
Although fruit and veggies are very good and healthy, your body still needs carbohydrates, protein and other vitamins and minerals that fruits and vegetables can't give. It would be better if you will employ a well-balanced diet.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied November 13th, 2011
An all fruit diet, or a fruit and veggie diet is actally very good for your body. That is, if you educate yourself well and eat fruits and vegetables that make up for the proteins, fats, and carbs that you won't be getting as much of.

As for those who say that you need protein - check out this site:

http://www.vegparadise.com/protein.html

Yes - fruits and vegetables contain fewer proteins than meats and nuts, but there are trace amounts of protein in everything. And with the fruit/veggie diet, you eat more than you normally would, so you can actually get close to or reach the suggested amount of protein you need in a day. To figure out how much protein you need, multiply your weight by .37 - this number is the amount in grams of protein that is reccomended for your daily intake.

And for those who tell you that you need carbohydrates - check out this site:

http://weightloss.about.com/cs/fruit/l/blc arbfruits.htm

This is a list of the amount of carbohydrates (in grams) that are contained in various fruits. Fruits contain a lot of natural sugars. And they actually contain simple carbohydrates AND complex carbohydrates. Fruits that are packed with complex carbs include - apricots, oranges, plums, pears, grapefruits and prunes.

There are also several vegetables that are packed with complex carbohydrates. These include - broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, turnip greens, eggplant, potatoes, yams, corn, carrots, onions, all types of lettuce, celery, cucumbers, cabbage, artichokes and aspragus.

And as for fats, there are plenty of fruits that have natural fats. The only difference between the fats in fruits and the fats in other foods, is that these fats are actually good for your body.

Avocados contain about 4.5 g of fat (35 out of the 50 calories are from fat), nectarines and peaches are at about .5 grams (5 out of the 60 calories are from fat), and sweet corn contains about 2.5 grams (20 out of the 90 calories are from fat).

Because 35 out of the 50 calories that are in avocados are fats, it's important to limit yourself on eating this food. The fat is healthy for you, but it's still fat. Eating an access of it will cause your body to gain fat, which I'm sure is not your goal.

That's all of the nutritional value of fruits and vegetables that I hope your looking for, and this isn't including the natural vitamins and minerals that fruits and vegetables contain.

I highly reccomend this diet, although I don't reccomend the fruit only diet as a permanent lifestyle choice. The fruit only diet is specifically designed to detox your body of all the toxins that we consume on a daily basis. The fruit and vegetable diet would be much more appropriate for a permanent lifestyle choice. And feel free to moderate it according to your personal preference, as long as the other foods that you're consuming are healthy as well.

Those who are on an all fruit or a fruit/vegetable diet are reported to have more energy, less of a need for sleep, healthier skin complexions, and less overall percentage of body fat.

I hope this helped! Good luck (:
|

replied January 25th, 2012
starting with veggies
I found a great book, Truly Raw on kindle, it was a great introduction into veggies and all of that. Good luck!
|

replied February 6th, 2012
I'm trying this out. Fruits & Veggies for 5 days starting Feb 6th! Follow along to see how it goes....

And good luck to you!
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2012
So, the vegetarian movement is a powerful movement.
It’s a movement in the absolute wrong direction. It does not sit with our physiology and biochemistry because vegetarianism, by definition is going to be a diet high in carbohydrates. And, a diet high in carbohydrates will convert a lot of that digestive glucose, or blood sugar, into body fat and shut down the burning of fat which is just a very problematic thing and is becoming recognized as one of the
primary causes of obesity. I’ll be coming out later this year with a book on that topic, The Importance of the Mitochondria in the Obesity Epidemic. So, eat your meat.
Watch your vegetables and your fruits. They can really wreak havoc with your body.
|

replied June 8th, 2012
Lmao! Yeah, we see LOADS of obese vegetarians! I am sure your stellar, and may I say 'sage' advice, has nothing to do with your Book that you plugged in your reply.
|

replied July 13th, 2012
fruit and vagetables very healthy for our body.thats not harmfull.
|

replied July 17th, 2012
i agree with u and also fruit and vagetables
|

replied September 5th, 2012
Go on an Ethiopian diet - you eat nothing for a month. Cheapest and guaranteed to take the most weight off of you in a shortest time.
dietbestplans.com
|

replied November 27th, 2012
Because your body is depleted of solids and therefore, carbohydrates, fat and protein during a fruit and vegetable juice diet, there are numerous potential side effects. The Mayo Clinic website lists dehydration, fatigue, dizziness and nausea as common side effects from detox diets, while diarrhea, vomiting, calcium deficiency and kidney problems may also occur. If these side effects occur, quit the diet immediately dietbestplans. com
|
12 >>
Quick Reply