Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Lump on side of knee

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I have a lump on the inner side of my knee, about an inch from the patella. It's about one cm. in diameter, is visible below the skin, is very slightly tender to the touch, and doesn't cause any pain when I move. I'm 32 and active. Should I have it looked at, or does it sound like some kind of cyst?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sybdawg
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Is this lump located at the level of joint line?
Have you noticed that lump changes in size with knee flexion/extension?
|

replied February 19th, 2008
knee lump
The lump seems to my untrained eye to be at the middle of the joint line, but off to the inside. It does seem to protrude more or less with flexion and extension. I guess you could say it "hides" a bit when I extend my leg. But I can always see it. My husband thinks it seems to be attached to the tibia.

Thank you for asking.
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Is there some pain and swelling?
Have you experienced a trauma or chronic infection of your knee joint?
|

replied February 21st, 2008
I have very little pain -- an occasional mild ache or twinging pain. I've never had knee problems or trauma.
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, subdawg!
Pain and swelling or only focal mass at the level of the joint, and mass that change in size with knee flexion/extension is suggestible for meniscal cyst.
Can, you, visit your doctor and ask him for refferal for some imaging techique (if she/he suspects the same)?
MRI is usually the choice for diagnosing meniscal cyst.
|
Tags: lump, touch, skin
Quick Reply