Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Improvement for Schizophrenia

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Hello, my sister has not improved for 3 years now! She has been in many hospitals, seen many doctors, and has been on many types of prescriptions but her mental state has remained the same. Please give me any advice!

Here is her story:

Since she was 3 she had a passion for piano. She loved playing and composing and was determined to make that her life-long goal. She has always been different. Her kindergarten teacher told my mom that she was going to be hard to raise (which was an understatement). She never fit in with anyone until high school where she had a small group of friends that just tortured her. When she was about 16 she went on a trip with her friend to my father's friend’s house about 8 hours away for the week. Her and her friend went to a party there where she was slipped a date rape drug and she got raped. The guy tried to drown her afterwards. She ended up getting herpes from it and was close to committing suicide.
She went to college for piano and went to several different ones before going to one in a major city about 6 hours away. Her first apartment there was a small studio that was nice, but cost $1000/month. She says that this was the happiest time of her life, going to school and taking piano classes, then afterwards practicing for 12 hours a day. This is the first time in her life that she didn't 'copy' some one else. She never really had her own identity. She has always had one friend that she wanted to be and completely copied this person in every way. She eventually got a very good piano teacher that was very strict. After going to school for about a year here, her loans started to kick in and she was forced to get a full time job. Only being able to practice piano an hour a day, and take only a few classes, she was crushed. When her teacher told her that her playing was degrading, she got very depressed. Because of her obsessive personality, she thought about this constantly, and would always call home crying about it. She frantically tried to contact wealthy people telling them her situation hoping they would help her pay her bills, but this never happened. She had to move out of her loved apartment and into a small old one.
Here, she met a woman that was to become the next person she would copy. This woman told my sister that if she just accepted The Holy Spirit into her body, that all of her problems would go away. She told her that she would feel the spirit enter her after saying a special prayer, and that it would control her according to God's plans. Excited that this would solve her problems, and her inability to doubt anyone (her whole life), she got all worked up and said the prayer. She said she felt something enter her and began hearing voices. The woman began taking control of her and made her do very odd things. She made my sister cast out demons regularly, donate all of her clothes and get long baggy dresses, cut her hair very short, eat special food, and buy her anything she wanted because God wanted it that way... They then began doing the Chabot (a Jewish ceremony) every Friday (again because God said to). One time while doing this ceremony, she said she felt something enter her that she thought was God. Eventually the voices started saying that they tricked her and that is was actually the devil, or a demon, that she accepted into her. She stopped sleeping and began going crazy thinking that these voices she is hearing may not be God. This whole time she kept her family in the dark about everything, only telling us that she goes to church once a week. One day she called home telling my mother to look out of the window because God is coming. Scared and confused, me and my mother flew to her apartment the next morning. When she saw us she just said hi, instead of being surprised. We kept asking her questions until she snapped and poured water on our heads with a huge grin on her face saying that she is blessing us. We called the cops and she was taken to a hospital for multiple physical examinations (looking for drugs, tumors, and other possible causes). They gave her something to make her sleep and seemed to snap out of it when she woke up the next day. She was set up with a psychiatrist and therapist and began taking medication. Missing work and school, my mother and I had to go back home. We didn't know it but her condition was getting worse and she was admitted to several psychiatric centers before coming home for Easter. A couple of minutes after entering the door she had a panic attack and we brought her to the hospital. From here she was admitted to a private psychiatric center.
Usually she would get dismissed after a couple of days because she is very good at pretending she is fine, but this time my mother and I told the doctors that she is just faking it. Until now she has only been on a low dosage of her medicine. She was told that if she didn't up her dosage that she was going to be forced to, so she agreed to. She finally filled us in about everything that happened where she was living (voices, demon attacks, seeing Jesus, getting thrown against her wall by spirits, knowing that she is going to die any day, not being able to hear herself think, completely numb body...). After a month in this hospital with no improvement, she was admitted to our city's psychiatric center (which was a legal battle). She was given anti-depressants and her mood seemed to get better. The doctor assured that when the depression goes away, so will her delusions, but they didn't. She still 'knew' she was soon to die, felt demons enter her all the time, could not hear herself think, and still had a numb body.
After being there for 6 months (about 5 months ago), she was able to come home. She ended up publishing a CD of all her piano songs that she has composed, but has now sold her piano (that she has had for 10 years), and her keyboard and says she will never play again until she goes to heaven. She is still exactly the same: demons enter her, she can't think, can't feel, and thinks she is going to die soon. She has tried about 8 different medications. She now refuses to see her therapist because “she can't help”. And right now, as I type this, she is at a church that picked her up and she is probably getting prayed over (we don't know where, or when she is coming back, and have no way to get a hold of her, she just left saying she is going to a church).
There are good and bad days (mostly bad). She smiles and jokes every once in a while, but 99% of the time she is on the internet (while we are at work) probably looking up religious things. She keeps saying that she is going to move out because we don't believe her (that she is getting attacked by demons), and because we are sinners. She cries because we will not repent and accept The Holy Spirit like she did, because she doesn't want us to go to hell.
She thinks that all of this stuff is happening because she did the Chabot. The woman that got her into all of this has stopped talking to her because she is not giving her money anymore, and my sister is crushed by this. She says that if she called tomorrow and told my sister to come back to her, she would jump on the first bus.
I have no idea what to do. She constantly fights with my mother because my mother fornicates with her boyfriend. She refuses to see the therapist, or change her medication. I think one day she will disappear and we will never see her again (maybe tonight).
PLEASE give me any advice that you can. Even though this is a long post, there are a ton of things that I have left out, so if you have any questions, please ask. Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 18th, 2008
Experienced User
Hi, I have bad religious stuff happening to me to. I believe it's caused by an exacerbation of the false split between good and evil. In catholicism, no matter how good you are, evil still exists and is out to get you. This will bring you nowhere, it's not a good path. I tend to seek help in the Buddhist world where there is no split between good and evil. It is much healthier. But you will probably not get your sister to change religions. I would say try to keep her mind off of these things, but this also is probably hard to do.
|

replied February 19th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
This sounds alot like what has happened to me, all I can say is that she is probably going to need a place to live, try and help her find a place to live, and she needs your love and help. In my case it hasn't gone away, and probably never will, and i've been on pills for seven years. And ya know, she might not even be "crazy" or have a disease, if only we knew everything. People are so stupid.
|

You may want to find that woman that talked about all of her problems going away if she accepted the holy spirit, does anybody find that to be somewhat odd. She said the prayer and then felt something enter her body? what? Maybe that woman did something strange to her.? Who knows.? You would have to be able to ask her the right questions though.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
All I can say is to keep having her doctors try new things.

Sometimes, a new medication will help for seemingly no reason, and sometimes, a medication that has failed before will work a year later. No one really knows why.

Must be really tough, though. Hang in there.
|

And thinking that you are going to die anyday isn't odd at all, I don't know why we don't expect it on a daily basis. We see it happen day in and day out, why do we think that we're going to keep living, when it's only a matter of time. When I thought that I was going to die may not be so far from the truth, because it's coming anyday now, and that goes for all of us. If only we knew when.
|

you may want to also read what you can about magick, you can't ever rule that out these days can you. Perhaps blackmagick would be a good place to start.
|

replied April 17th, 2008
well it is something I had experienced as well... symptoms are a quite the same.. Well, I can tell you If you want to convince her in some way, you cannot contradict in a harsh way.. because schizophrenics they believe everybody around is stupid, and if you want to make a contact try to give some imaginative ideas, some good offers, in a way that give respect but no aprooval to her`s ideas at the same time... You see the problem is that she may need bigger doze of medicaments and probably for long period.. some people take it for the whole life.. And you cannot escape that.. I was lucky, because I was diagnosed very quickly
|

replied April 19th, 2008
make sure she is on disability and leave it to the docs
make sure she is on disability and leave the rest up to the doctors to manage. she cannot manage her own life. its not her fault, its not you or your parents fault. if you feel she might die tonight or the same day that you posted or in danger of dying you need to do something to stop that. i think doctors are the best judge of situations like this that are problems that are too big to handle and its obvious to me that hospitalization is best for her unless she improves quite a bit. she might need a helping hand surviving. if she gets on disability the department of housing and urban development can help her find low income apartment for people with disabilitys, but i dont suggest that until she is much better. in situations like these i think medication and supervision are your best options. i'm so sorry for your pain. please remember though, she will always be your sister.
|