Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Birth Control Pills - Vaginal Bleeding and Brown Discharge

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hi. I'm really worried because I'm currently on Trinessa and I forgot to take two pills in a row about 2 weeks ago. My boyfriend and I did not have sex when I forgot my pills. The week after, I had vaginal bleeding similar to my periods. The week after that I was bleeding brown and was spotting brown. I am still bleeding brown right now. I'm supposed to start my period this week. I'm not sure if its just breakthrough bleeding because I forgot my periods or something more serious? Right now, I'm a student without any insurance, so this sucks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2008
Supporter
i have always been told by doctors that bleeding between periods is common on the pill. it's happened to me before, almost as heavy as my period and i went to the doctors only to be told that it was nothing to worry about. well that was a waste of my time! i'm sure you are fine. leave it a while and see how it goes. if this ever happens on a regular basis you should see someone about it, but for now i think it is fine.

are you concerned about pregnancy or something?
|

Yeah, I am a little bit worried about pregnancy because I did have sex after continuing the pills. However, I just found that if you miss 2 or more pills during your month, you are no longer protected for that month. Bleeding and discharge is not a sign of pregnancy right? I should be starting my period this week, so we will see. :-/
|

Especially eHealthy
What kind of pill are you on? Where did you hear that missing two makes you unprotected? On most pills, that's not true.

If you miss two pills, normally you just need to take two one day and two the next to catch up and use protection for one week.
|

I'm on Tri Nessa which is generic for Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I spoke with a lady at Planned Parenthood and thats the first thing she told that I'm not protected and I need to use other protection. When I missed my pills, I did not even end up taking them. I don't know what I was thinking.
|

replied February 19th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
You are not protected like I said, but you don't need to restart unless you're in the last week of the pills.

I have no idea what you were thinking either. Perhaps a form of birth control that involves less upkeep would be better for you? Such as the Ring, Depo, Implanon or the Patch?
|