Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

bursting of skin near tophi deposit

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the bursting of skin near a prominent tophi deposit that resulted in leaking of the tophi.

This happened to me for the first time this past summer and has occurred twice since then. The first time was the most severe and a considerable amount of the tophi was removed (which I guess is a good thing).

The location was the same each time (right big toe) although I have significant deposits in multiple areas.

Eric
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ggoede1
|

replied March 3rd, 2008
I've experienced it...
In several locations in the past. Was the mat'l sort of like small/tiny curd cottage cheese?
|

replied March 3rd, 2008
Yes. It dries to a chalky, hard, white substance. Do you know what instigated your first experience with this problem? On two occasions that this has happened to me a significant amount of tophi was flushed out. I'm not sure if that is a positive or a negative.

Eric
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
Draining Tophi
My husband has a very prominent tophi on his left elbow. It has recently "burst" and is draining all over, leaving chalky deposit stains all over our couches, bedclothes, etc. I can't get him to go to a doctor to have it checked and I'm afraid it's going to get infected because it's a sizeable drainage hole. He doesn't know this yet, but he's going to the doctor next Tuesday! I'm going to keep looking for answers and if I find any, I'll post .
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
Thanks! Please do post what you find out.

Eric
|

replied June 20th, 2010
bursting tophi
my dad has just experienced a "burst and leaking" too from his toe and his doctor plans to incise and drain it. am searching here cos am concerned about that procedure. i dont know whether it is a regular one... has anyone had a doctor drain his tophi?
|

replied July 27th, 2011
Gout Drainage
I have had them draining for years on end from varius locations, it is good but will always build up again and drain again, I find zink ointment is the best to get it to drain fast. Having the doctor incise it does help but do not be concerned if it comes back cause it will. My elbow has been draining off and on for over 10 years.
|

replied July 27th, 2011
Gout Drainage
I have had them draining for years on end from varius locations, it is good but will always build up again and drain again, I find zink ointment is the best to get it to drain fast. Having the doctor incise it does help but do not be concerned if it comes back cause it will. My elbow has been draining off and on for over 10 years.
|
Tags: skin
Quick Reply