Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Can I take Nuvaring out during sex ? (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
mariana wrote:
I have been on nuvaring for 3 months now and love it. I love not having to take the pill every day. My fiance only feels it in certain positions and he did ask me to take it out because the rubbing was almost painful for him. But I never had it out for more than an hour.

its ok to take it out durring sex? my boyfriend is really paranoid about feeling it durring sex.
i had a bad reaction to the pill after a couple of days and im looking into another method of bc... this seems like a good next bet. any advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Georgia59
|
Users who thank LadyAllie for this post: alexissxxx 

replied January 10th, 2008
Experienced User
Taking it out during sex??? That honestly would be nice!

I have two friends who are on it, and my cousin was on it between having her two children. They all have loved it from what I can make of it. My cousin never complained about it, and she complains about a lot involving her health and she has full right too. She's had a lot of health problems, so she is constantly worried about stuff, but not once did I hear her complain about it.

The one friend I have is married and I think she has been on the ring for a good amount of time. I think it's been a year or two. Not totally sure. The only thing I have heard her say about it is the fact that sometimes it slips on her when putting it in.

The other friend I have had a rocky start with it. She was on the pill, but kept missing it. She went and had it switched to the ring. After she got off the pill, she didn't have her period for about three months. She kept thinking she was pregnant. And she DIDN'T have the ring in, she was waiting for her period to start. She waited and waited from September to December for her period to start and it didn't. I had to go with her to the OBGYN on a snowy day because she was baby-sitting and she needed me to watch the little one she was taking care of while she went and was tested to see if she was pregnant, because she was showing signs of pregnancy. She wasn't, just needed some meds to help her period start. After that I haven't heard her complain. She didn't smoke then, and she does no and not sure if that has changed anything.

I have also heard from my friend that is married that her sister or a friend of her's was walking around the mall one day and she said "I need to go put my BC in." It was a NuvaRing, and for like three months she didn't know that it was suppose to be in the fridge. She got pregnant soon after that, but as far as I know and believe it was because it wasn't in the fridge.

I don't know too much about it, and after reading some symptoms everyone is having, I am not sure if I want to consider going on the Ring.

It would be really awesome if it could be taken out while having sex, and slipped right back in....That would help me consider being placed on it...
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Yes, you can take it out for up to three hours. So slip it out, have sex, and put it back in. But usually kept mine in during sex, and it was fine.

The ring doesn't have to go in the fridge. It stays in the fridge in the pharmacy, but once you get it, you can keep it wherever you want. If she got pregnant on the ring, it was probably for other reasons.

MOST women don't experience many side effects on the ring because it's a low amount of hormones and pretty localized. Some do, but most women love it.
|

replied November 2nd, 2011
Thank you!
See I went to the nuvaring website and they didn't have anything about if you could take it out during sex. I just started my nuvaring today, of course it says put it in the first day of your period or use back up protection. I didn't realize this until I was already off my period but I doubt I'll be having sex for awhile ha ha! the only reason I was on the pill was to steady my emotions, I'm like my grandmother on my father's side of the family (God rest her soul). She was awful on her period and I got tired of blowing up at my family, I would pop off at my mother and just hate the world but after I got on the pill it stopped but because I have ADHD I forgot to take it almost everyday so I talked to my Doc and she gave me this, hopefully I like it!
|

Experienced User
the fridge is one thing i am worried about cuz one of my brothers and my dad dont know about any thing like that. i dont think they even really know when im on my period. i dont talk to them bout that kind of stuff and that would be pretty awkward for them to go grab a soda and "surprise! your little girl is on bc!"
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
You don't need to put it in the fridge!! I promise!!!
|

replied July 11th, 2011
the hormones are released when they react with the heat of your body. they leach out when the ring is warm (not cool like in the fridge), making the ring over all less effective. i have been told this by all my friends, 2 heath clinics, and my doctor. you can take the chance of it being less reliable, or you can just put it in the fridge, possibly in a bag or case that says PRIVATE or something of the sort
|

replied November 30th, 2011
It is true. My doctor and the pharmacy explicitly told me when I received mine that you have to put them in the fridge because heat is what causes the hormones to leach out. Thus, if you don't put them in the fridge they are leaching out prior to you using them, making them less effective.
|

replied February 13th, 2008
close call
i've been on nuvaring for about 6 months now...it's come out twice during sex, both times i caught it within 3 hours. my boyfriend has no problem with it, and he was actually the one to notice first. i lost weight within the first few months, but now i find my appetite has increased but i haven't gained more than 3 pounds. overall few side effects and it works fine
|

replied February 14th, 2008
it has it's pros and cons
I've been on the NuvaRing for close to a year. It has its benefits and its drawbacks...everything does. It's very convenient. No having to remember to take the pill. Sometimes it's a little uncomfortable during sex, but then I just take it out. You can leave it out for up to 3 hours without losing effectiveness. If you're afraid of getting a yeast infection or it causing irritation (after sex or after periods), just take it out and rinse it off with luke-warm water.

I have experienced a lot of weight gain, but it's not solely due to the ring. It's due mostly to adjusting to all the changes in my life: getting married, being out "on my own", job changes, stress.

As long as used as directed, you shouldn't worry about getting pregnant. BUT, like other birth controls, if you have to take antibiotics, you might want to use a back up method. I've had a friend who got pregnant because she was on antibiotics and it lowered the effectiveness of her birth control.

Other things to watch out for:

if you use tampons, be careful when you pull them out or you might pull out the ring. If you do, just rinse it off and put it back in. If left in during sex, sometimes it gets pulled out. Just rinse it off, and put it back in when you're done. Even if you didn't notice it coming out, it might be a good idea to feel and make sure it's still there after intercourse. Most likely, it will be.

My biggest drawback has been the weight gain, but I will just have to get off my lazy butt and get active. Overall, I love using the ring.
|

replied July 11th, 2011
about the tampon thing you take it OUT for the week you have your period.
|

replied November 30th, 2011
Yeah, but you are supposed to put it back in a week after you took it out and people often still have their period at that time.
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2008
Georgia59 wrote:
Yes, you can take it out for up to three hours. So slip it out, have sex, and put it back in. But usually kept mine in during sex, and it was fine.

The ring doesn't have to go in the fridge. It stays in the fridge in the pharmacy, but once you get it, you can keep it wherever you want. If she got pregnant on the ring, it was probably for other reasons.

MOST women don't experience many side effects on the ring because it's a low amount of hormones and pretty localized. Some do, but most women love it.

sorry but what the pharmacist said that if it's going to be at a warm room temp for more then a few days you should keep it in the fridge.
i'm not fully sure but i believe it's some what heat reactive, releasing some hormone when hot enough. why else would they keep it in the fridge.

sorry not trying to be mean or anything. just that's what i was told. before that i had my mom send me 3 months worth to me out here in Italy by the time i asked about that it was a month since i got them and had to throw them all out. $40 worth of birth control in the trash.
|

replied February 17th, 2008
Experienced User
It doesnt' have to be in the fridge if you can keep it in a cool dry place. For alot people the fridge is just the safest and best place. Yes it's heat reactive it releases the hormones when hot. But like I said you don't HAVE to keep it in the fridge. Room temp is ok once you take it home.
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2008
anniek wrote:
It doesnt' have to be in the fridge if you can keep it in a cool dry place. For alot people the fridge is just the safest and best place. Yes it's heat reactive it releases the hormones when hot. But like I said you don't HAVE to keep it in the fridge. Room temp is ok once you take it home.

ah ok. but out here a normal day in the summer can be 40°c or 104°f and we don't have AC. lol well i'll just by mine 2 or 3 days before i need them. out here you don't need a prescription for birth control. but thanks. when i move back to the us i'll be sure to keep that in mind... be kinda akward having a gust look in the fridge and find birth control. Smile lol
|

replied June 30th, 2008
Georgia59 wrote:

you ARE supposed to keep it in the fridge because the hormones in the ring activate by the heat inside the vagina. in you leave it in room temp. all the time, you will lose hormones in the ring. you should keep it in the fridge to get the best results out of the ring.
|

replied March 8th, 2009
nova ring
I am just worried becaise during intercourse it slipped out and I would like to know if its ok? i went to rinse it and put it right back on.. was that fine?
|

replied March 11th, 2009
If you read the insert that comes with the ring, in the box, it will answer all these questions. It will tell you that you have nothign to worry about if you take the ring out for up to three hours. It will tell you to store it in a cool dry place. Does nobody read the pamphlet?

It can come out when straining at a bowel movement, so watch out for that.
|

replied May 11th, 2009
Nuva
I did not get an insert I get mine from Plan Parent Hood... however they said you should NOT take it out during sex unless you have plan B or "morning after" pills. and for the girl that said no one knows about it... I have a 3 year old and if she saw the packs in fridge she would be in heaven lol so I put them under the fruit/veggie drawer noone can see them. And if it is hurting your partner you might not have it in all the way or right. It has hadded to our sexual experience. try putting it in diffrently you never know...
|

replied October 1st, 2009
I just started nuvaring two months ago, and everytime my husband and I have had sex, it hurts me and he can feel it some too. And yes, it was pushed in all the way! I have just opted to take it out and put it back in immediately after we are done. From what everyone is saying here, that seems to work completely fine!
|

replied April 6th, 2010
You don''t need it in the fridge. It stays in the fridge until you get it. then it is good for three months out. There will be an expiry date on the package. you want to keep it in a cool dry place, as you would a condom. this does not necessarily have to be a fridge. if you want you can but it doesn''t decrease the effectiveness of it, because the cold chain is already broken once you recieve it out of the fridge. you cannot re put together a cold chain hence the expiry date. as long as it is put in before the expiry date you are fine.
|

replied October 24th, 2010
yes, can you use the same nuvaringyou had used before does it matter?
|

replied October 24th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
teenager26, Yes. If not, it will become pretty expensive very soon. Put it back inside you within 3 hours of taking it out. Replace the ring after 28 days from first use.

If you can keep it in during sex, do so by all means. Only take it out if you really have to.
|

replied November 18th, 2010
i'm on the nuvaring and i was on depo right before ..the lady at plannedparenthood told me i could have it out for 3 hours a day including when i have sex. i started the ring 3 weeks ago this being my 4th and i've gained 17 pounds just in this week and i usually struggle to gain one pound. can anyone tell me if this is just from the nuvaring?
|

replied March 17th, 2011
Ok so I jus got my nuvaring i got 3 months worth to be honest my older brother doesnt kno im on it so i cant eactly put it in the fridge i read the pamphlet and still am worried...is it safe to keep out of the fridge in my closet???? My doc told me i can hide it in a cool place in my room and hide it but i jus wanna be safe? I mean i really dont wanna get knocked up hints the bc...
|
12 >>