Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

hernia mesh complications (Page 1)

User Profile
Hi all! Below is information collected by our Hernia Forum Supporter, butterfly6169. She has compiled useful information regarding hernia mesh complications. Please read this first, and then ask questions on the forum.

SUFFERING FROM MESHES?

Many people are suffering from the meshes, some have muscle weakness, fatigue, nerve damage (neuropathy...nerve entrapment),infections that set in the mesh, the mesh is crumbling up, folding, hardening, and so much more. Most suffer in chronic pain.

Please do your homework, look into the complications people are suffering in from what these meshes are doing.

Not everyone has a problem with the meshes, some people have the mesh put and are doing great..they are the lucky ones, for those of us who are suffering please look into other options.

There are other ways to repair the meshes...one way is called the sholdice repair. Some other words to look up are meshoma and neuroma.

Best Wishes
Smile

HOW TO FILE A REPORT

1. Check out the FDA MAUDE DATABASE (this is to research the reports filed by people and the outcome of what has happened to them from the meshes)

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh /cfdocs/cfMAUDE/Search.cfm

In this section you will need to put in mesh in the blank space were it says Brand Name.......below it's says Manufacturer you will put in Bard, Davol, Johnson & Johnson (whoever made your mesh).
For the dates put 01/01/2000 to present.
If your mesh was put in before 2000 then put that date in..Remember these are ONLY reports that were filed by patients or their attorneys, not the makers of the mesh.

2. To file an Adverse Event Report follow this link:
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/med watch/

To the right it says begin click on that and then you can begin filing your claim with the FDA about your mesh complications.

If you have the operative report it will be helpful to have it for the lot number, product number and maker of your mesh along with the size, if you don't have it you can still file the report with the FDA.

(Your personal information name, address, etc... do not show up on the public site, that information is kept private with the FDA)
You can get a copy of your operative report from the hospital were you had the operation.

3. More information

http://www.aafp.org/afp/990101ap/143.html

http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic422 .htm

http://hernia.tripod.com/pop.html

http://www.pacificherniarepair.com/hernia_ complications.php
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper saintfan
Users who thank admin for this post: Alvy5521  debralynr 

replied February 23rd, 2008
Mesh Help
for those who are still suffering from complications from synthetic hernia mesh. It is imperative that you file an adverse event report this link will take you right to the form www.fda.gov/medwatch stand up and be counted there are thousands of reports filed now. The FDA does know there might be a problem and they are investigating. Please do not be shy, file your report.
|

replied March 28th, 2013
I had Hernia repair op and the hernia returned, I had it done again and they put the mesh in. As soon as I woke from the surgery I knew something was wrong, I was screaming in excrutiating pain. I've been in pain since. Been back and forward to doc and hospital, surgeon told me that I have a trapped nerve in the mesh and that's why I'm in so much pain. He injected my stomache with a steroid injection. I'm still in pain and don't know what to do next
|

replied September 11th, 2013
I sincerely hope that you found some answers and relief!
|

replied April 20th, 2008
I think people should also try and send letters/e-mail to local and national news outlets/media/newspapers. Maybe it will bring more attention to the problems and put more pressure on surgeons/the mesh companies/FDA to take it more seriously, and maybe even find a newer way to repair hernias.

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form11b. html?2
That is a link to CNN to send a story idea, maybe it could help. Of course local media helps as well. Just a suggestion.
|

replied July 3rd, 2008
new "bio" meshes
YES, it is URGENT that everyone out there let his/her doctors, and everyone else -- family, friends, workmates, etc -- know about this issue. Where I am (in the UK) nobody knows about this, it's never discussed, not even among people with hernias!

Here, hernia surgery is seen AND ADVERTISED as "a piece of cake". Literally! People do not know what I'm talking about, or why I'm making such a fuss about this mesh issue. It is receiving NO media coverage. So getting the word out on a personal level is absolutely CRUCIAL --- especially to anyone you know in the medical world.

There are new "bio" meshes already in use that are showing good results in not triggering the strong foreign-body reaction that the plastic jobs have done. These materials are also proving to be much more resistant to infection, one very big problem with the plastics. They are made of porcine (pig) collagen, denatured and sterilised, and they appear to harmonise much better with human body tissues than plastic.

In the UK, look into Permacol -- it's also received FDA approval in the USA, so it must have already gone through some pretty heavy-duty trials.

In the USA look into Surgisis, made of the same material.

I spoke to my surgeon about this. He pooh-poohed it (of course). "Must stick to what we know......" Surgeons are a notoriously conservative bunch. They don't like to change their methods, unless absolutely forced to do so. Which is why I hold out very little, if any, hope for a new hernia repair technique. For starters, it would take ages to train a whole new crop of surgeons in a new method.

The new "bio" meshes offer at least SOME hope .... if the med's will allow them into widespread use. Problem: they're probably a ton more expensive than plastic. Even the new lightweight meshes, supposedly safer than the standard heavyweight ones, cost 5 or 6 times more.

PLEASE, get the word out!
|

replied September 4th, 2012
Biological meshes
The problem with biological meshes is that they tend not to hold up for very long and the hernia recurrence rates are unacceptably high. In reviewing all the hernia literature it is interesting to note that European studies focus primary on post herniorrhaphy pain whereas in the USA studies tend to focus on recurrence rates.
|

replied July 16th, 2008
bio meshes, severing of nerves (neurectomy)
I've emailed the firm in the UK that makes Permacol (twice). No reply so far. I would be interested to know if they have a list of surgeons in my area (Brighton, UK) that use it. It is showing promise, although it's early days.

Of course, it's still mesh. It's presence still triggers the in-growth of scar tissue & resulting possible nerve entrapment -- which some surgeons are seeing as possibly a key cause of the crippling chronic pain syndromes linked to hernia repair. The advantage, as I understand it (I'm not a doctor--far from it!), is that it is eventually absorbed by the body. Thus at some point, no mesh material remains.

The concept of cutting the nerves has been mentioned very often. Not only does that sound barbaric, even worse, it is apparently NO GUARANTEE that the pain will end.

There needs to be a method that simply avoids all this. From what I've read, the CORRECT (as opposed to "modified") Shouldice method, as practised at the Shouldice Hernia Clinic in Toronto, has virtually NO incidence of this type of chronic pain syndrome. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

This site is very interesting:
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/eletters/336/7638/2 69#190862

It's recent, from the UK, and it features a number of medical pieces on "watchful waiting" rather than immediate surgery. As one of the articles on this site shows, yes, the med's are indeed aware of the unacceptably high rate of chronic pain and other complications.

They need to come up with a much better, much safer method -- as well as researching possible viable alternatives to surgery. There is virtually NO research on this. It MAY be the case that, with proper care & appropriate medical supervision, not all hernias actually require surgery (??).

Sadly there is no real info on this, apart from a few non-medical sites discussing various "alternatives". Personally I do not dismiss this as silly quackery (but that's just my view). I do believe there MAY be successful long-term control (if not 100% healing) methods out there. However there is almost no documentation or info, because in recent times surgery became so routine.

The fact that some surgeons have denied that mesh could be rejected ("it's made from inert material....therefore it can't be rejected") is disproved by the existence of the phenomenon known as "meshoma". Dr Sedlack of the Capital Hernia Center in Washington DC has a website about "mesh removal", which has apparently become so prevalent that it is now a medical sub-specialty unto itself.

There is now more than enough evidence (tragically) that proves the URGENT need for new methods & alternatives. The more awareness out there, the quicker this MAY happen. I try to live in hope.......
|

replied November 19th, 2011
I'm in the UK and had a massive incisional hernia (whole of lower abdomen) repaired using mesh made from pig products.

I had the operation in July at The Peterborough City Hospital and my surgeons' names were Elizabeth Drye and Alan Wells.

They said they used it to decrease the chances of infection and that there were fewer post-operative complications,

I had a large seroma for a few weeks afterwards that kept having to be drained and I'm suffering from nerve pain in the incision site -but the hernia repair itself is fine and has not given me any pain or discomfort since about a fortnight after the operation.
|

replied November 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
|

replied January 22nd, 2009
HERNIA HOSPITAL
Hi.
has any one had a mesh removed or hernia repaired
at the toronto ont shouldice hospital.how was the
surgery and the recovery, is this a good place to go
thanks
lyndy,
|

replied September 20th, 2012
shouldice
They don't do mesh removal, I was just there two days ago, the head surgeon said it's not possible, they just don't want to deal with it, he said this is why we don't use mesh, sorry but there is nothing we can do. I guess they don't want to give themselves a bad name.

But they are known for their hernia repairs just from what I have heard if you are in the area get it repaired there.
|

replied September 20th, 2012
They don't do mesh removal, I was just there two days ago, the head surgeon said it's not possible, they just don't want to deal with it, he said this is why we don't use mesh, sorry but there is nothing we can do. I guess they don't want to give themselves a bad name.

But they are known for their hernia repairs just from what I have heard if you are in the area get it repaired there.
|

replied April 28th, 2009
hi
has anyone heard of a mesh poking from inside out a few months after it is put in place?
|

replied April 29th, 2009
Hello...
...I finally came across this site after researching what I've been going through the last few weeks.

I had an open mesh (no plug as far as I know) inguinal (sp) hernia repair back in the winter of 1999. It was a very long and rough recovery. Almost four months to be exact. I was told the hole was much larger than anticipated. In a while things seemed to be okay, no major complaints with discomfort or pain. Then about six weeks ago I began to feel a strain type feeling around the hernia site. At first I blew it off and just took it easy with physical activity. As the weeks progressed things seemed to get a little worse.

I woke one morning about four weeks ago and was stretching out. As I turned my leg I felt this "snap" like sensation in the hernia site. I didn't feel any real pain but the straining sensation increased. From that point on things have gotten worse. The straining is almost painful and it's not more below my navel and to the right. I was checked out by a doctor and he can't find any signs of a hernia (new) or recurring one. But he did find a bladder infection. I'm constantly bloated these days and the pain and discomfort seem to wax and wane but they're always present. My digestive system is out of whack too but so far nothing horrible (blood in stool or passing more than once or twice daily).

The only thing I can say is that it feels like something is poking or tearing down there but so far everyone except a surgeon in vegas seems to think I'm crazy. The consensus is mesh migration or one of the sutures ripped out inside me and I was told would heal but could take months.

I've recently been laid off, could not afford the cobra and being single and without dependents I thought I could manage till I found a job. Bad move on my part but that's neither here nor there.

My gut tells something is up with that mesh and I don't know what to do. I think I need an ultrasound but not sure if the doctor I'm seeing will give me the referral (already found a place that will give me a very nice discount to pay out of pocket).

To anyone else who is going through this I feel your pain (literally!) and really think it's sad that because I don't have insurance I have to be careful of getting any tests as to not get labeled with a pre existing condition.

If anyone has any thoughts on this situation I'd appreciate the feedback.

I think my first step would be the ultrasound to see if anything shows up then attempt to gather my surgical records from the surgery center the operation was performed at.

Thanks, and I hope the best for anyone suffering from this because it truly is becoming a nightmare.

-J
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2009
something poking me from the inside of the mesh/hernia sight
I am a female that had hernia repair back in 2003 and here recently have had a "poking" sensation to the left side of my lower belly above my abdomen. I am scared to death! I don't know what to do!
|

replied May 9th, 2009
Very similar...
Hi longtimerecovery,

What you've just described is a lot like what I've been feeling. If the problem doesn't get any better and you can, I would try for either an ultrasound or CT scan to see if something is wrong with the mesh.

-Jason
|

replied September 14th, 2009
Dangers of mesh
Thank you very much for all these postings....I am scheduled to have an umbilical hernia repaired on the 25th of this month, and while the surgeon is hoping to make the repair WITHOUT MESH (the hernia hole is only 1.5 cm) she said she may have to use mesh if she can't do it just with stitches. I have a very strong intuitive aversion to having mesh patch, and I was thankful I found this forum. I am going to postpone the surgery until I learn more. I tend to have allergic reactions to polyester clothing, so I think a poly propolene mesh patch inside sounds like a bad idea. I may consider having the procedure done in India someday, at the clinic mentioned in one of these posts. Thank you all for posting this information.
|

replied November 5th, 2013
Am wondering what you decided to do? I have the same issue...
|

replied September 24th, 2009
My wife had a mesh installed four and a half years ago due to a bowell operation going wrong, for the last three months it has been oozing liquid from a breakthrough in the skin from one of the scars. The doctor has told us the infection can not be repaired unless the mesh is removed which is a risk operation. Apparantly while it is oozing it is safe, can anyone advise on what can help with dealing with the itching and any other advice. Thankyou
|

replied October 8th, 2009
I don't want to be accused of being libalouszl, so I will leave the name out. I just had my surgical repair at an HMO in which I've been a member for 36+ years, and I've only heard about this kind of excrement, I NEVER in all my life thought anything like this could happen, I gotta be honest here, the things I'm feeling inside my body right now are ruinous to any hope of a satisying sex life, dreams of sking the french alps, or snorkelling in the Medateranian like I did when was 15 ~ in fact, the way things are currently, I wouldn't ever be able to travel again because sitting, standing and walking causes me me pass out. I'm really in shock. The HMO that aowed the surgeon to use and continue to use this product may as well have just chopped off all my limbs, I know that's pathetic sounding, but I'm still young and now I wont be able to enjoy any the things in life that brought to me the greatest plasure. Eating even hurts.

Im realy enraged that the HMO or surgeon wouldn't have at least informed me about the contraversy surrounding these materials, or at the very least told of the FDAs investigation, or offered the tension method of repair. Has there bee any class actions, discussed? Any hospitals managing physicians, chiefs held resposible for creating the lies of virtually painfree, and lightspeed quick recovery, with almost non existant chance of complications? I didnt even start researching on the net about this until a few days ago and I almost vomitted in horror at the number of people suffering from irresposible unethical omitions of fact as a means of truth distortion. to think that hospitals are still allowed to put these materials inside their patients? Well I tell you what, someone had better loose their job and medical practice l, but I had better compensated for potentialy losing my ability to make love to a woman, or have the awesome feeling of an orgasm without shooting shock like stabbing pains to accompany the euphoria. In fact any women out there want to help me out before that of my life is prematurely ended?

Am I the only one who feels violated and angered about this? I appologize if I've offended, but I am freightened about living with a chronic pain syndrone that I seemingly was purposefully misguided: Isn't this form of at the very least professional misconduct, or dare I say GROSS NEGLIGENCE?
|

replied March 20th, 2012
I am not offended. What you have is REAL. I know you posted a long time ago, but what has become of the issue?I would be interested to know.
|

replied February 11th, 2010
Hernia Repair/Mesh
I had a hernia repair in August 2009 and two weeks after the surgery I was back in the hospital with a high fever and was found to have a Staph infection. From August to November I was in and out of the Hospital 6 times with high fever. They called in an Infectious Disease Dr.the last time I was in hospital in November. Since November I have noticed a widespread pain thruout my body. I am tired all the time, and in constant pain. I hurt in my stomach around the incision area, Dr says he can feel the MESH and what I am feeling is the muscles and tissues are working to build themselves around the mesh. They are of course NOT listening to me when I tell them about the pain I am in. I will find out what type of mesh was used in my surgery and file a report. Something has got to be done, this pain is affecting my job and my life.
|

replied February 19th, 2010
fluid after a repair? normal?
I had repair of a femoral hernia in 2009. By diagnosis of ct I have fluid in the area and lots of pain. I was told that it would cause an infection risk to remove the fluid...My life is affected by this not the doctors who have handled the case. I deal with pain daily. in pain and confused in Nebraska, USA
|

replied March 13th, 2010
I had a hernia op with mesh fitted last September. For the fist two months I had a nagging pain. Now it pains in the area most of the time. I am finding it hard to walk long distances, and suffer from fatigue. I am a missionary in Guatemala and wonder whom i should now see. I really do not want to go back to the surgeon who done the op.
|

replied April 13th, 2010
April 7, 2010 Univ. Of Misso. Article: Mesh 10 %. failure rate
Oh I am so, so, glad to have stumbled upon this forum. I was scheduled for umbilical hernia surgery in the near future with Prolene Mesh but after reading all of this I cancelled the surgery to do more research. My hernia does not hurt and is not as large as those I have seen on other websites. So I came across this article published just SIX DAYS AGO, April 7, 2010 by the University of Missouri School of Engineering about the study they are doing about the mesh and here is the link: http://engineering.missouri.edu/news/stori es/2010/SHerniaGrant/index.php

The article is short but in it it says the following:

Hernia meshes: new answers to an old problem

Hernias are commonly repaired with the insertion of a mesh patch, which can be administered during laparoscopic surgery. However, these meshes, primarily made of polyester, polypropylene or Teflon, can experience approximately a 10 percent failure rate.

"Nicotine use causes enhanced inflammatory response, which can cause degradation," she said. "Diabetes and a high body mass index are also factors that contribute to problems."

Grant said that because a strong patient advocacy group approached the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) with their problems, they are very interested in new ideas.
"Companies are starting to listen to us," Grant said. "Our program is getting big enough that people are starting to recognize us."

A respected University Study saying that there is a 10 percent failure rate in Mesh! And things like being overweight and smoking may have effect on the failure rate... These things were not discussed with me.

And then I found a consent form from a doctor in Maryland who does these operations, so it would not make business sense for him to put information in his consent form that was not accurate and would drive away business. And it says: "In fact, in any given patient with a hernia, the chances of incarceration or strangulation are quite small - about 1-10% over the lifetime of the patient. So, generally, a hernia is not an emergency, or even an urgent problem, especially as most people with hernias are asymptomatic."

So it seems that the risks involved in the Mesh according to the University of Missouri is 1 in 10 that it will fail if you have it put in. Obviously if you don't have it put in there is a zero percent chance of failure. And if you do nothing then the chance of incarceration or strangulation is between 1 percent and 10 percent over your lifetime according to a doc who does these types of surgeries.

These sort of risk/benefit information was not conveyed to me at all. As I read these two web posts, one from a doc who does these things and one from a respected university my chance of complications are between 1 and 8 percent LESS if I do NOTHING then if I get a Mesh put in.

Anyway, I felt that because this site helped me put off putting a mesh in my body that I would share what I found.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied September 2nd, 2011
I tried to go to the University of Missouri School of Engineering story above but got an error message. I contacted them and they sent me this link which should get you to the correct story:

http://engineering.missouri.edu/2010/04/he rnia-meshes-new-Unapproved spam link-an-old-problem/
|

replied June 6th, 2010
Hernia Complications
My wife also has undergone Amblical Hernia operation...post operation she is having some kind of fluid(Serum) in her stomach...is there any problem or is normal...can she take any medicine to avoid forming/drying up of Serum?
|

replied May 30th, 2011
Hernia mesh complication
I had the mesh implant related seroma for almost a year until it was removed, it never went away on its own. It was a sign my body was rejecting it. I had the hernia mesh in my body for almost 6 yrs, just had it removed March of 2011. The surgeon found my intestines balled up below the mesh with huge scar tissues. The intestines were chronically partially obstructed and chronically infected. My mesh was recalled six months after my implant surgery but no one told me, I only found out about the recall by doing research on the internet and I was researching it because I was sick of being in pain. In addition, I had small bowel obstructions in the past, now I know it was caused by the mesh at the time I had no clue. I told over ten doctors I've not felt "normal" ever since the mesh was implanted but no doctor would believe me.

How is your wife doing? If not already done so, she should get the mesh removed ASAP.
|

replied June 6th, 2010
Hernia Complications
My wife also has undergone Amblical Hernia operation...post operation she is having some kind of fluid(Serum) in her stomach...is there any problem or is normal...can she take any medicine to avoid forming/drying up of Serum?
|