Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Castor Oil for constipation

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Does anyone have any experience of using castor oil for constipation? How well does it work, and is it safe? How much should I take....if I want it to work...really well?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper x0x-Andrea
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2008
Experienced User
I prefer a senna tea for constipation. Works every time!

Traditionally, castor oil has been used to apply directly to the skin in instances of burns, sunburns, cuts, or abrasions. As a laxative, castor oil should generally be used only when your doctor recommends it, like after a surgery and/or during times when you shouldn't strain to have a bowel movement. Plus, it shouldn't be used regularly as it can lead to serious problems if it's used regularly. That said, I've never personally tried using castor oil for constipation (I don't like the prospect of throwing up).
|

replied January 2nd, 2013
Remember: About 20 years ago the German Drug Control has proclamed that all laxatives containing Anthrachinones (e. g. Senna) are dangerous for the human body for there exists the risk for cancer and a damage to the genotype.
|

replied March 3rd, 2008
The Hidden Dangers of Constipation
The digestive system is one of the most important body systems, simply because it processes foods through chemical and mechanical digestion, and it transport nutrients to the blood to sustain life. A healthy digestive system is one of the key components to achieving optimal health, yet it is one area of the body that is ignored and to which so many pay little attention. It is not surprising that so many North Americans are having quite the challenge experiencing bowel movements with any regularity. An activity that should be done without effort, assuming the mechanical action is happening, has become a source of great discomfort. Some may find it embarrassing to have discussions pertaining to the topic of colon health; however, this condition needs to be addressed before the condition deteriorates. I dont know whether or not you are familiar with the Aloe Vera Gel but many have found tremendous relief from using this liquid that cleanses that intestinal walls. I never had chronic constipation but since I started drinking it I have also experienced better bowel movement. You can reply directly to me and I can provide you with more info.
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You should try dieting teas... they usually make you have to go to the restroom and ease with it
|

replied January 19th, 2012
Swallowing a good dose of Castor Oil is the best you may do for your healthiness for you will not only cleanse your bowesl totally but detoxify your liver too. Further your body will never be habituated to Castor Oil for this works not directly in your bowels in irritating these ones but indirectly by activating and synthethizing certain substances in the human body.
|

I usually never miss a bathroom after a morning tea, but I had a couple of 3-day periods of constipation that nothing was able to change. Castor oil works. And when I say works, I mean that prepare to be be in and out of the bathroom for the next 5-7 hours. You would be surprised how how much garbage you actually have inside. But make sure you do it after work or when you have nothing going on all day, because you literally haev to fly to the bathroom dozens of times before it's over. I took it at 7pm last night. It kicked in around 9pm. The worst was probably until 11pm (every 5-10 minutes or so). Then it slowed down to every hour. It finished at 7.30am.
|

So, it is the best to take Castor Oil not in the evening, but in the morning, not having breakfasted.
|
Quick Reply