Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Ventral Hernia

I have a ventral hernia. It is a vertical bulge in my abdomen area. I was wondering what exercises I should/can do that wont make it worse and what exercises I should not do. Is it repairable? 44/m
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 9th, 2004
To my knowledge, all hernia's are repairable.

However, some can be retracted (push back into place and sown up), and others the intestine has to be removed because it is strangling something.

Depending on how long it was before it was diagnosed, and how long you actually had it will contribute to it.

Any sort of strenous activity could worse it.

I have a lower groin hernia, and it's painful, pain rushing into my testicles waking me up at night.

Going to a surgeon tomorrow to get the scoop.
|

replied July 26th, 2004
I also had a very large hernia in my abdomen (under my belly button). I
ignored it for a long time and it grew bigger. Finally, I went to the doctor who then sent me to a surgeon. I had surgery and they repaired the hernia, but because I had neglected it for so long, all my abdominal tissues were stretched out and they couldn't simply close the opening. They brought the 2 sides as close as they could and used a big piece of mesh to hold it all
together. That was 2 years ago, and I have had no problems (although my stomach still has a pooch, but after 3 kids it would have anyway). The recovery was hard for a few days, but after about a week, I felt fine and as long as I followed doctor's orders about lifting and activities, I was good.
I think you need to have it repaired, hernias can get bigger and bigger, they
don't go away on their own. Medical insurance usually covers the surgery, especially when they are large. Good luck!
|

replied March 16th, 2009
Help with advice
I am 33 and was just diagnosed with a ventral hernia after experiencing severe pain and vomiting(ended up in the ER and having a catscan with barium and dye). I am wanting to get feedback on how long I can go before this gets too bad???
|

replied October 1st, 2010
Ventral hernia
I had the same thing and wounded up in the er due to severe pain and vomiting. The doctor's admitted me and I had to have surgery later in the day. I had it for about 18 months before winding up in the er.
|
Quick Reply