Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Calendar Conception : When did I Conceive ? Forum

Who is more likely to be the father !?

Can someone PLEASE help me narrow it down....okay, I am 17 weeks 2 days as of today (Feb 13th)...I had sex with a friend back on October 4th. ( unprotected! I had my period Sept 22nd) Then I met my CURRENT boyfriend Oct 20th and slept with my BOYFRIEND Oct 20th, 25th, 26th, 28th, 29th, Nov 2nd(all unprotected) ....I knew I had a "period" in/around mid Oct or something like a period. I NEVER told the doctors my last period cuz I was unsure. However, all the ultrasounds I have are measuring back to Oct 15th meaning my LAST PERIOD. So who is more likely to be the father!? There's a 23 days difference...which is over three weeks...my due date they gave me is July 21st, 08...can someone please help me a lil? I'm goin crazy with this!
thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 13th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
you conceived around october 30th.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I'd say your boyfriend is the father without a doubt if they are counting your pregnancy from October 15th.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hi JerseyGirl
If you are exactly 17 weeks 2 days according to an ultrasound (where they would have measured your baby's growth and charted the size and told you how far along you are according to the size) that would put ovulation/conception somewhere around Oct 27 - Nov 1st.
I'm no expert...however when they calculate how far along you are, they assume that growth began on ovulation/conception day, and also assume that two weeks before that you had your last menstrual period (which is around Oct 15th).

I don't believe the person you slept with on Oct 4th could be the father. That is not close enough to your ovulation day. If you conceived on Oct 4th, you would be much further along than 17 weeks.

I hope everything works out for you.
Good luck
cpr
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Your new b/f is the one who is the daddy from what u posted I bet.
|

replied February 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Re: I'm OBSESSED WITH THIS QUESTION! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
JerseyGirl83 wrote:
Can someone PLEASE help me narrow it down....okay, I am 17 weeks 2 days as of today (Feb 13th)...I had sex with a friend back on October 4th. ( unprotected! I had my period Sept 22nd) Then I met my CURRENT boyfriend Oct 20th and slept with my BOYFRIEND Oct 20th, 25th, 26th, 28th, 29th, Nov 2nd(all unprotected) ....I knew I had a "period" in/around mid Oct or something like a period.

Why is "period" in quotation marks? Did you have a period around October 15th or not?
Did you have a period between sex with your ex and sex with the new bf?

Quote:

I NEVER told the doctors my last period cuz I was unsure. However, all the ultrasounds I have are measuring back to Oct 15th meaning my LAST PERIOD.

Why did you not tell the doctor about your October 15th period?
Are you sure your doctor means your ultrasound dates back to your last period, or could he have meant the ultrasound dates back to conception occurring on October 15th?
Quote:

So who is more likely to be the father!? There's a 23 days difference...which is over three weeks...my due date they gave me is July 21st, 08...can someone please help me a lil? I'm goin crazy with this!
thanks

I can help you better after you answer the above questions.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Here is some info:

How accurate are ultrasounds in determining the conception date to determine paternity? Your healthcare provider will use hormone levels in your blood, the date of your last menstrual period and, in some cases, results from an ultrasound to generate an expected date of conception. However, many differences in each woman's cycle may hinder the accuracy of the conception date calculation. The viability of sperm varies as well, which means that intercourse three to five days prior to ovulation may result in conception. Ultrasound dating of conception is not reliable for determining paternity because the ultrasound can be off by at least 5-7 days in early pregnancy.
source

Ultrasound Estimates

Ultrasounds are usually performed at some point between weeks eight and 20 of pregnancy. They are used to confirm gestational age of a pregnancy. Gestational age is based on your last missed period. The age of the fetus (known as fetal age) is the age of your child since conception. Gestational age should always be one to two weeks older than fetal age.

To figure out the gestational age of the child, doctors and radiologists take measurements of the baby’s legs, arms, head, and torso. Based on these measurements, doctors can give an estimated gestational age of your child. Subtract two weeks to find the fetal age, and then count back in the calendar to figure out your estimated conception date.

Ultrasounds can only provide estimates of gestational age. Some babies are smaller or larger than the average. Earlier ultrasounds tend to be more accurate. Overall, they can be up to two weeks off on estimation.
[edit]
Conception Dates are Only Estimates

Conception dates are only considered estimates for several reasons. First of all, even regular cycle women may not ovulate on Day 14 each month. It can vary slightly, anywhere from Day 12 to Day 16 for a regular woman on a 28-day cycle. Other reasons conception dates are just estimated include:

* Sperm life can be up to three to five days.
* Stress or other life changes can change even regular women’s cycles for that month.
* Eggs take 12 to 24 hours to be shed, so the estimated conception date may be off by one day.
* Spotting at implantation can be mistaken for a last missed period, throwing off conception date by as much as a month.

If you have been keeping track of your basal body temperature, you may know the length of your luteal phase--otherwise known as days past ovulation. A slight rise in the body temperature indicates that ovulation has occurred. The days between ovulation and the day before your next period are considered the luteal phase. Even if cycles are irregular, DPO usually stays the same. Therefore, you can count back using your DPO to begin estimating conception date.

The only completely accurate way of knowing conception date is when infertility treatments, such as artificial insemination or in vitro fertilization treatments have been used.

If you have had multiple partners in the two weeks surrounding your mid-cycle, you should consider getting a paternity test.
source
|

Especially eHealthy
Re: I'm OBSESSED WITH THIS QUESTION! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
futureshock wrote:
I can help you better after you answer the above questions.

her question has been answered. early ultrasounds are very accurate, there is not going to be a one month discrepancy.
|