Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Hard pea-sized bumps on neck and temple

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
User Profile
A little over a month ago, I noticed a hard very small (pea sized) bump under my skin, on the back of my neck very close to my spine on the left side, halfway up. I don't think it has changed in size, but since then I've found two more bumps, another on my right temple (pea sized or smaller), and then most recently the biggest (bigger than a pea but not twice the size) lower on the back of my neck, almost at the shoulder, on the right side, farther from the spine. I am sure the last was not there before... I think I would have noticed after I discovered the first. Since I originally discovered them they remain the same. They seem to be fixed (but my skin is very tight over those areas too), all are the same density (hard, like bone, but perhaps slightly rubbery). What do you think the probability is that this could be cancer? How serious should I take finding these? What do you think it could be? And, how soon should I think about getting this checked by a doctor?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Cancers Answer A3711
According to the symptoms you describe (hard lumps under your skin), it doesn't seem that you have skin cancer. Skin cancer is not located under the skin, but in the skin. It usually looks like a wound that does not heal. It is hard to know what the bumps are without seeing them. It seems likely that the bumps could be some fat gland cysts (atheroma), lymph nodes under the skin, or tumors. You might consider consulting your GP and a dermatologist.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.