Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Front laying placenta

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I was just wondering if anyone has had this? I'm 20 weeks and have mentioned before that i'm having a hard time feeling the baby move and we can't find her heartbeat with the doppler. I read somewhere that it could be from a front laying placenta.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 11th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Have you had an ultrasound?

The lack of movement felt could be due to the placenta in the front.

But at 20 weeks, that is still early enough that you might not feel a lot of movement anyway.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
The diagnostic ultrasound I had was at about 7 weeks, so I'm not sure if it was too early to tell if the placenta was in a bad spot.

I know it's early and every pregnancy is different, but i've felt all of my 3 previous pregnancies earlier than this.

It's only a problem if the placenta is at the bottom right?
|

Especially eHealthy
Right! But even then, unless it grows over the cervix, it should be fine down low as well. They usually grow up when the uterus stretches.

7 weeks may have been too early to get the correct placenta position.

Is your doctor concerned about this?
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Last time I saw her I was just 16 weeks so I wasn't concerned about it yet. I see her this friday and plan to ask her about it. I do know that my uterus is VERY tipped and that's half the reason alteast that we can't find the heartbeat.

I did have an elective gender ultrasound at 16 weeks, but since they don't look for anything diagnostic I'm not sure if she would have noticed, or said anything if she did.
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
my placenta is in the front to the right. I don't feel ANY movement on the right side, ALL on my left. So I'd say it's completely possible, especially since your uterus is tilted, that if the placenta is in front, you wouldn't be able to feel her move. I would definitely tell your doctor you're not feeling her move though, they take that very seriously.
|