Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Post C Section Hernia

Hi my name is sharon

i am new to this so I hope I get it right. I am looking for other people on the post c section bulge. I had to have an emergency c section for my first child and an elective for the second. I bounced back fine after the first one @ 37 years old but the second @ 38 was not so great. On my right side directly above my surgery there is a bulge, not an overlap but a bulge that can be pushed in and out. I spoke to my family Dr. And he thought it could be a hernia so he referred me to the shouldice clinic in toronto which is all they do. They said they could not say it was or it was not. They suggested that I do more exercises to build the muscle in my lower abdomine. I have worked on this agressively for over 9 months now and have seen no success. If it was a hernia I would have to have surgery again and not be able to pick up children for 5 weeks. This is not an option, I have a one and a half year old and a 2 and a half year old and am completley on my own 4 days a week.
I am trying to find out if anyone else has had this experience and if they found another way to make it look normal again. I'm not looking for a flat tummy just not a lop sided one. Maybe I am focusing on the wrong thing or should I be going to a different type of professional i.E. Physio therapist??

Would love some input

sharon
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Sharon King
|

replied October 12th, 2009
c section hernia
I had my c-section almost 2yrs ago and barely realized last night that i have a bump on the right side of my cut. a friend of mine says she has it too and was told it was a hernia too but doesnt have money or insurnace to get it drained according to her. i dont get insurance till november so from now till then i gotta stay calm. its probably just a hernia, im super worried as well belive me
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2009
Bulge on right side of stomach after c-section
I also have a bulge on my lower right side from a c-section 2+ weeks ago... I talked to my doc. which told me it is probally a blood clot, that should go away on its own... But just seems to be getting worse. It is now noticable (not just by touch but visually) I think it is probably a hernia too (Due to doing too much after surgury), I do have insurance but no extra time with 4 kids at home to go to med center... Just hoping the doc is right. Next doc. apt is in 2 weeks... I will let you know what she said..
|

replied March 19th, 2010
post op c section hirnea question
I have just had the surgery to remove my c section hirnea and am wondering if the area should still be swollen....it has only been a week. It just seems to still have a buldge.
|

replied March 19th, 2010
I waited about ten months to have mine corrected and had no pain or anything....just a buldge that got as big as a softball.
|

replied June 27th, 2010
hernia after c-section - is there any recourse?
I have also suffered a hernia after having a c-section. A bulge on the right side of my stomach near my incision. This was my 2nd c-section. Mine didn't occur until a year after surgery. I was sitting in a chair and it felt like my lower intestines just rolled out. I can hear the fluid. I don't have the money to get it fixed. Sometimes it burns. I don't know why they just didn't stitch me up right the first time. There should be some kind of fund or recourse for this since it appears to be common to evidently improperly done c-sections.
|

replied July 30th, 2010
Possible hernia after c-section
I had a c-section about 4 months ago with my first child and i just noticed that i too have a bump on the right side of my stomach above my incision. I havent seen a doctor about it yet but i am planning too. Seeing all these post make me think i may have a hernia as well. Didnt think i would have one since i am so young.
|

replied August 26th, 2010
I am sitting at home recovering from hernia surgery to repair an incisional hernia from my c section which was ten years ago. I discovered the hernia about 2 years ago and at that time, the surgeon said I could have it fixed or just wait but to know that the hernias just don't go away. Well since it was not bothering me much, just the annoyance of having to push it back in evey few days, I put off the surgery. Yesterday after I ate lunch, I immediately had horrible pain, and it popped out and was as hard as a rock and I could not push it back in. I had nausea as well and when it didn't ease up after about 30 minutes, I went to the emergency room and they operated this morning at 7:30. Please take these things seriously and get them fixed as soon as you can even if you are not having any problems. I am living proof that you can be absolutely fine one minute and needing surgery the next.
|

replied March 29th, 2011
Doctor???
What kind of doctor did you go to? Gynocologist, gastologist, surgeon????? I have the same thing. I have been having lots of stomach issues. I was told that I had a hernia last year after an MRI for back problems. I did not relate all the other problems to the hernia.
|

replied September 25th, 2010
I had a hernia post c-section too. In fact in the hospital on the 2nd day I felt something weird to the lower right of my belly button. I told my OB/GYN that it felt like a hot burning sensation there. She shrugged it off and gave me no answers.
The hot burning sensation went away and over the next 3 years I would have bouts of that area having a lump that I could put in and it could normally come right back out. It was about the size of a large egg. There was also a weird pain every once in awhile that I cant even begin to describe.
I went to my family doctor about it. He looked at it and determined it was a hernia, told me I needed surgery and he wanted it done sooner rather than later. His exact words were, "I dont want to see you in a month in the ER with a strangulated hernia, you need to get this done with good planning, not an emergency situation"
Fast forward 2 weeks later, I was in the hospital at midnight with a strangulated hernia. My outcome was good but letting it go to that point is very dangerous!
|

replied February 26th, 2011
I am going for the hernia repair from my third section. Not sure when the hernia happened, but I knew immediately after the third section something was not right. The hernia is very large and the muscle repair will be extensive. I wonder if the hernia is a result from my last section. Anyone have that?
|

replied March 8th, 2011
I am 9 1/2 months past twin c section and I too have a very large bulge on my right side. I still look pregnant it is that large. I have seen the surgeon and he said it could be scar tissue since the cat scan showed nothing. He did not mention hernia. My friend who also had one after csection told me I probably had a hernia. I have not been back to him since I can't have surg till after the twins are walking. I get now help during the week till daddy comes home at 5. I'm starting to have alot of nausea with it and can feel my bowels move thru that area. (it's the size of a softball) so I am trying to keep my bowels softer by drinking alot of water and taking DHL all natural for intestine health. I can't believe the doctors are not more careful closing us up since it seems to occur so easy, and to many women.
|

replied March 27th, 2011
After the birth and csection of my first child I had gotten a large bulge just under my incision. Anytime I asked what it was I didn't get an answer. During the delivery of my third child, my ob discovered a hernia as he was making the incision. Thankfully he proceeded with extreme caution while making the incision because the hernia was so large and my bowel was exposed. The bowel could have been cut and I would have become toxic and could have lost my son (don't even want to think about it). The surgeon had to be called in immediately and the hernia needed to be repaired before my baby was delivered. Was one of the scariest moments in my life and thankfully we are both fine due to my doctor's amazing skill.
|

replied July 20th, 2011
incisional hernia with mesh recovery time?
hello all..i am new to this site but i see lots of negative stuff about this kinda surgery..... well i was really after advice in preparing for the operation! i have a lower incisional hernia (below the navel) had a ct scan and shows hole in abdomen 8cm-4cm... my hernia is quite big and i have damaged the sheath so my bowel protrudes out? sorry bit graphic... anyway i am having it repaired in about 3 weeks time... as i have has 3 c sections and my baba is 5 months old i would like to know honestly what the recovery was like, pain, movements? time frame for feeling normal.. my surgeon said i mite be able to have a tummy tuck too!! not that im over weight but i have a lot of excess skin. So if anyone can give me any info that would be great... oh sorry i forgot i am having open surgery with mesh.....thanks
|

replied July 20th, 2011
incisional hernia with mesh recovery time?
hello all..i am new to this site but i see lots of negative stuff about this kinda surgery..... well i was really after advice in preparing for the operation! i have a lower incisional hernia (below the navel) had a ct scan and shows hole in abdomen 8cm-4cm... my hernia is quite big and i have damaged the sheath so my bowel protrudes out? sorry bit graphic... anyway i am having it repaired in about 3 weeks time... as i have has 3 c sections and my baba is 5 months old i would like to know honestly what the recovery was like, pain, movements? time frame for feeling normal.. my surgeon said i mite be able to have a tummy tuck too!! not that im over weight but i have a lot of excess skin. So if anyone can give me any info that would be great... oh sorry i forgot i am having open surgery with mesh.....thanks
|

replied December 26th, 2012
c section bulge/hernia
I have this bulge too. It pops out when I lie on my back and lift my legs. I went to my OB right at my first re check and she said it was "just how my muscles had changed". I asked right then if it were a hernia. "no". Well it is 5 years later and I have horrible back pain and I do tons of ab exercises and no help. I am stooped over half the time. today I lied back and just sorta pushed around and found I could put it back in and put a hernia belt on and walk around the house without pain. So that tells me it is a hernia. Yes I can hear fluid and stuff rolling in my guts too. So I have an appt with my OB/GYN in Jan and I am telling him I want this fixed and if he won't I will find someone who will. I can't live my life iwth my back hurting this way. Did anyone else have back pain?
|

replied April 17th, 2013
Small Hernia after C-Section-
I have one too...right side, just below my C-Section scar. I noticed it about a year and half after the C-Section, which was my 1st and only. My OB told me immediately that it was a hernia and referred me to a General/Thoracic Surgeon who specialized in this repair/surgery. I met with him last summer (2012). I am just now getting sporadic nerve pain just below the "mini" bulge, and although it has not really grown in size, I am concerned that it now may be time to have it corrected. I have no back pain here..
|
Quick Reply