Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety causing spacey feeling/lightheadedness.

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
I am 29 years old. I have been diagnosed with gad. I have had it for quite some time now. I worry about anything and everything. And I have had very very bad panic/anxiety attacks in the past. I was prescribed Paxil and I took it for 2 1/2 years. It worked wonders for me but I did gain weight from it-40lbs. I weened off the paxil and went into strong therapy for 6 months. The therapy did help. I do not take any medication now but I still do stress out, worry, and get a little anxiety. I have been getting worried and stressed for the last couple of months. Now I have this non-stop spacey/lightheaded feeling. My doctor did blood work and I am waiting for the results. He thinks it's either anxiety or low-iron. i take a multi-vitamin and eat 3 good meals every day. I really do not want to go on an anti-depressant. Will this spacey/lightheaded feeling go away?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I wonder if you feel this way because you are not breathing properly. If you are constantly stressed, it could be effecting your breathing and or heart-rate in which case you won't be getting enough oxygen, which can make you feel this way.

Are your results back?

Just remember to relax when thing are particularly stressful. Step aside from the problem, slowly breathe and clear your mind.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
My results are not back. I have two appts this week. Can you feel if you are not breathing right? I am not gasping for air or anything. I don't know what you mean?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
reply.
Also, I happen to have a stubborn yeast infection. I hope the yeast infection is not causing the lightheaded feeling. My one appt is a gyno appt and the other is with my regular doctor. I would rather the anxiety/stress be causing the lightheaded feeling.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I don't think a yeast infection has anything to do with it. The best thing to do with yeast infections is to starve it. Go on an anti-sweet diet http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhea lthdiets/a/candidadiet.htm and eat live active cultures (acidolphilus).

You can be not breathing right even if you are not gasping. You could be breathing more quickly true, but also sometimes people "forget" to breathe. You may stop breathing for a few seconds and then follow it by a deep intake of breath or sigh. You may not even realize you are doing this. It's hard to notice what you are doing and catch yourself doing it because you are not as likely to be able to catch yourself in the act if you are paying attention.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
In reply to Mominashoe.
Thank You so much Mominashoe. That link is very useful. I definitely will have to do a major diet change. I just wish I was one of those women that do not have any problems with yeast. I understand what you said about the breathing. I am upset with myself because I should of been more aggressive in treating this when I first got it. But I did try and then I gave up. And then I tried again. And I gave up again. And here I am years later with the same yeast infection. That's why I joined this forum. I'm getting better answers here than I do with the ignorant doctors. The only reason I thought that the lightheadedness could be a result of the yeast is because of the length of time I've had the yeast infection. I have had it since 21. And I read somewhere online that systemic yeast can cause lightheadedness. But you never know what to believe. The link you provided me with states that the symptoms of candida overgrowth in the intestines. I only have one of those symptoms. Well thanks again Mominashoe. Very Happy
|

replied February 20th, 2008
Supporter
breathing
i too have issues with yeast. god - 10 years i went with CONSTANT trouble. Drove me mad!

Anyway - the breathing thing. Yes you can forget to breathe (seems daft but it happens).

Another thing i catch myself doing is only taking tiny breaths. Once you're aware you're doing it you can catch yourself and put it right.

When you're breathing regularly, i fancy you're only taking air into the very top part of your lungs. You can tell if you take a few slow breaths... right down so that your tummy sticks out full of air.

and here's a useful night time thing for you. It's called 7/11 breathing. Breath in for the count of 7 - breath OUT for a count of 11. You'll be amazed the calming difference it makes.
|

replied March 8th, 2009
feeling spaced out and lightheaded
Hi, I am 38 years old man and for the last week I had those spaced-out feeling...lightheaded...its driving me nuts, its like I do not see things the same way I would see normally...! Am I going nuts ??? I had blood work done, chest x rays...everything seem to be fine...is it due to stress, I had some lately...
Thanks
Phil
|

replied March 8th, 2009
Re: Anxiety causing spacey feeling/lightheadedness.
Shannashaine wrote:
I am 29 years old. I have been diagnosed with gad. I have had it for quite some time now. I worry about anything and everything. And I have had very very bad panic/anxiety attacks in the past. I was prescribed Paxil and I took it for 2 1/2 years. It worked wonders for me but I did gain weight from it-40lbs. I weened off the paxil and went into strong therapy for 6 months. The therapy did help. I do not take any medication now but I still do stress out, worry, and get a little anxiety. I have been getting worried and stressed for the last couple of months. Now I have this non-stop spacey/lightheaded feeling. My doctor did blood work and I am waiting for the results. He thinks it's either anxiety or low-iron. i take a multi-vitamin and eat 3 good meals every day. I really do not want to go on an anti-depressant. Will this spacey/lightheaded feeling go away?

i have felt the exact same thing so dont worry about it sooner or later it will pass. I would recommend learning breathing exercises and this may sound corny but just go outside and walk around it does WONDERS! it clears the brain and gives you more energy. Keep taking the vitamins and 3 meals. I started getting lightheaded and almost feeling dazed and my brain felt foggy but after exercising it helped alot. Hope this helps!!
|

replied March 11th, 2009
anxiety
I have felt bad for years. I think a system yeast infection. Very similiar symptoms. Very hard to get rid of.
|

replied March 11th, 2009
anxiety
im 17 and have been experiancing anxiety really bad. I recently stopped smokin cannabis ( about 10days) and the withdrawals are really bad. Although, its not just withdrawals that are causing me to feel anxious, i just feel emotional, worried (as if something is really terribly wrong with me!) but the more you think that something is wrong, the more it makes your body and mind start to become really down or rather depressed. What you have to remember is its all in the mind and you have to find ways to over come the anxiety. I find that drinkin herbal tea and taking herbal medicines really helps me, although its different for all sufferers. You can try your GP if it really is too bad. But my doctor, in my opinion is getting rather fed up of all my trips to her, (about 3 times a week!!)
|

replied March 11th, 2009
anxiety
I have many issues. Anxiety/depression is one. Muscle weakness, Thyroid is low. Head pressure,
I have also used cannabis. I think it is because my nervous system is being attacked by yeast. I am not sure how the pot has effected it.
|

replied April 26th, 2010
Hi guys,

I have read a few posts and can confirm that I once suffered severely with this "foggy mind" or "Spacey feeling in your head". It's often shared with a feeling of tiredness and a lack of energy for life. It affects me only very rarely now when I take my eye off the ball and I'm sure that is because I have taken control of my life again! I know what it feels like - you feel hopeless, like 'how can I stop my mind from drifting off which prevents me from living a normal everyday life?'.

When I say that I took control of my life I mean that I started to so a great deal of research in regards to this feeling and I found that it was linked with anxiety and your Sympathetic Nervous System. The Sympathetic Nervous System is what causes your heart rate to increase, may cause you to sweat uncontrolably, give you dry mouth and... Stops you from thinking clearly in normal every day situations.

Now the Sympathetic Nervous System basically causes what is known as the "Fight or Flight" response in your body. So when we were back in the old days of fighting the locals from the next village with swords or going even further back - running from the Sabre Tooth Tiger we would need this surge of adrenaline to give us extra strength in certain situations. However, in todays living situations we don't need it (unless we are unfortunate enough to experience a near death situation).

You may know that adrenaline that is produced from your body can be damaging to your health if it is released too often. Another damaging (but essential) hormone is cortisol which has the same effect of stress and can cause a hazey mind as it stays in your brain longer than adrenaline.

Essentially what I discovered was that I needed to increase the effectiveness of my Parasympathetic Nervous System, which as you can probably imagine - combats the effect of your Sypathetic Nervous System.

There are vitamins and foodstuffs that you can eat that help to increase the effectiveness of your Parasympathetic Nervouse System such as Fish or more specifically Omega3. You may not see changes over night as most vitamins take a month or so to have an effect.

I also meditate daily, exercise regularly and do deep breathing execises now to get lots of fresh oxygen to my brain. I have started to be more positive and active as a result.

Please do not take my advice solely as a solution to your challenges as everyone is different but I wanted to offer my advice as I know how hard it is. I spent nearly two years feeling as though I wasn't really contributing to life!

The most important thing that I have learnt is to take things with a 'pinch of salt' DO NOT SCARE YOURSELF WITH THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough!!!!! There are so many sites on the Internet that can scare you with all sorts of infomration that may be quite similar to some of your simptoms but may have absolutely no relation to what's going on with you. If you are truly worried then seek professional help (GP). I visited my Doctor and she told me it was stress and anxiety related and that is what put me on the right track in the first place.

I hope what I have written here helps you.

Kind regards,

Tony
|

replied May 18th, 2010
I found that to get rid of yeast problems, if you take a daily dose of acidophilus also called a probiotic it really helps. Good bacteria to kill off the bad. Good luck.
|

replied November 25th, 2010
I also have had both yeast-related issues and that spacey feeling. I also have had many anxiety attacks in my life but have had them fully under control for years now; however with a recent onslaught of stress and my forgetting how purely physical anxiety symtoms can be, I've had to remind myself.
Two things - mominashoe is completely on point with the breathing as well as the candida diet thing. The candida diet is well worth the annoyance it causes - my stress level is significantly different now that I've done it.
When I feel as though I'm "forgetting to breathe" - and I only realize it when the spacey feeling comes over me - I try Dr. Andrew Weil's breathing techniques - google them, they're quite effective.
Also - anxiety is a symptom of candidiasis. Men can have this too.
|