Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

food trapped in hole on tonsil

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
In my right tonsil, I have this little hole. It's kind of like a pore. Every few days particles of food will become trapped in this opening and I will have to use my fingernail to squeeze out the "food". What is this hole and how can I adjust it?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Kelly85
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2008
Experienced User
The hole might actually be aenlarged tonsillar follicle. The tonsils can swell in response to infection to help fight bacteria. If a tonsil has been inflamed, it is possible that one or more of the follicles may remain overactive after an infection has passed. The whitish debris that looks like food is actually dead tissue. When the follicle discharges, it will leave a crater behind.

An enlarged tonsillar follicle is not dangerous but can suggest that your tonsils are inflamed. If it keeps bothering you, consult an ENT surgeon.
|

replied February 15th, 2008
Awesome! Thanks. It's just a minor annoyance. However, how much of this tissue is there? I generally have an amount that's about the size of sprinkle or two. (Like the elongated ones... "Jimmys" in some places).
|

replied July 21st, 2008
hey! i am surprised this is a common irritation! i thought i was the only one with this weird problem of food in the hole on a tonsil... i really now doubt whether it is tissue as when i eat a few biscuits i feel that the " tissue" debri is being replaced with fresh bits by itself all the same my mouth reaks and is vv unpleasant.
|

replied July 25th, 2008
tonsillith
Try looking into that route. Google the word tonsillith. I have a similar problem with food getting stuck in the back of my throught. This is not my condition but it sounds exactly like what you're talking about. You can find alot more info about it. I still don't know whats wrong with me.
|

replied May 2nd, 2010
I''ve had this problem since I acquired Walking Pneumonia as a child. As I''ve gotten older, the problem continues to worsen. I have holes (craters) in my tonsils and easily get sore throats/ear infections many times a year. Each time I become ill, the tonsils seem to become more inflamed and the craters grow larger, presumably lowering my resistance to infection. I always try to ride it out but almost always end up having to trot back into the walk-in clinic (where I tell the doc, "Yup, same as last time.") to get an antibiotic.

I recently saw an awesome ENT who told me the little white pustules are actually a mixture food, debris, possibly microscopic hair, as well as dead cells that accumulate in the crater. He said that my sore throats would continue to worsen with time if I chose not to have a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy. (He''s right since each year, I seem to get more sick, more often and with more symptoms-fluid in ear(s), sore throat, ect.) I plan on having them out in the summer but I have less than great(understatement) insurance so I''ll be paying an arm and a leg to have it done. It would be worth all the time I spend laying on the couch with my remote in one hand and NyQuil in the other.

Also FYI, dairy, caffeine, sugar, sweets can make those little guys in the back of your throat come back more frequently and help your breathe smell less than yummy. I gargle with a hydrogen peroxide mixture of half peroxide, half water as well as Listerine. I also brush my teeth more often to prevent the food particles lingering around waiting to be caught in the back of my throat.

Hope this helps! Wink
|

replied September 7th, 2013
Ulcers on tonsil with this condition
Hey does anyone occasionally have sores/ulcers come on the tonsil with this every once in a while? I do at times and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this as well.
|
Quick Reply