Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

yeast infection red labia

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
User Profile
So on Thursday when i got into the shower and was washing down there i noticed that it was VERY sensitive. I then noticed a little itching after i crawled into bed. The underwear that i had on were extremely annoying me because it had the seam that runs right down the front and right between my lips. SO i changed. I just thought it was a one time thing for this itching going on down there. Well the next morning (friday) it was itching so i took a mirror down there to see what was going on. I noticed that my inner labia (the very inside, right below the clit and right above the entrance to my vagina) was very red. So later that night i took another peak just to see if anything had changed and I also noticed that i had tiny blood spots under the skin, like when you have a hicky the blood comes up from the skin. And this could be that i didnt notice them the first time, cause i didnt take that good of a look down there. So saturday morning on my way home from the bf's (3:30am) i stopped at CVS (drug store) to pick up some medication. I got "AZO yeast" its pills that you take orally. It's a relief and prevention pill. (3x a day if you have an infection or 1x a day to prevent them) So i've been taking them... I check again down there and noticed i had tiny white bumbs. Saturday night i went back to CVS because i read online that their was an at home test kinda think called "Vagisil Screening Kit", that tests your pH. Well i come home read the directions and info packet thing to find out that if i do have a yeast infection that my pH wont change. I guess it was just to rule out BV and Trich something or another (More serious things). My pH was normal so i ruled out those. Today (sunday) the redness has gone down, the white bumps are gone and the itching isn't as bad when i urinate, but its still there for sure. Another thing that i've noticed these last few days is i've had more discharge than normal, it doesnt smell like fish or whatever i read in the box and it doesn't look like cottage cheese. It's just normal discharge, but lots more of it.

So what i would like to know is what everyone thinks? Is this a yeast infection? (i've never had one before) And what do you suggest i do? (A friend had suggested monistat 3, 5 or 7 day squirt thing, i'm not sure what its called)

Thanks to everyone that can help! Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 10th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
It sounds like the pills you're taking orally are helping to make it go away, so I'd continue with that.

Not all yeast infections have all of the symptoms. I had one once and was what I would consider asymptomatic. I didn't even know; only reason I got diagnosed was because I happened to have a papsmear at the time. She gave me a single pill dose to take.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
OK thanks for the reply. How long would you say these things last for? Cause its almost valentines day and we had a very special night planned Sad What is your opinion or intercourse?
|

Especially eHealthy
Men can get a yeast infection, so honestly the best thing to do is to go to a gynecologist and see if that's what you really have.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Well i don't know what else it could be. I've been tested for STD's. It came back negative and my boyfriend and i haven't been with other people. All the symptoms that i have lead me back to a yeast infection and as far as i know the dr's wont give me antibiotics they will just tell me to go get monistat and if that doesn't work then to come back
|

Especially eHealthy
Those are some stupid doctors then, because I was given medicine right away to take. Of course it wasn't an antibiotic; a yeast infection isn't caused by bacteria - to my knowledge.
|

replied February 12th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
hate to alarm you, but I got very itchy down there and realized I was pregnant. I was tested for every kind of infection. It haunted me through my entire pregnancy and didn't let up until I delivered.
They determined it to be hormonal. vagisil cream helped reduce the annoying itch.
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
hormone changes can cause yeast infections (like pregnancy)...

but so can many other things. I'd suggest taking the monistat 3 day- you can take the one day but it might irritate you. However, I would see a doc, because you want to make sure that's what it is before you treat it.
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2008
Experienced User
I actually just finished the monistat 3-day supositories. And i've been doing pretty good so far. I still get a little itchy once in awhile. But when i got the monistat it came with this anti-itch cream stuff....boy oh boy does that work like a charm! I inserted my last one tuesday night and wednesday night i got a little itchy for maybe 10 minutes off and on. So i put the cream on and away it went. I am on bc so i'm hoping its not because of a pregnancy...but yes i do know there is always that chance that i could be. It is now thursday morning and i still get a little itch here and there but nothing like i was on Saturday or Sunday. And now its VALENTINES DAY and i wanted it to be a special night tonight but i'm worried cause i heard that guys could carry the yeast and then actually give it back to the girl. And that he could also get a yeast infection even though it is not very likely. ANY responses would be great as soon as possible. THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2008
Experienced User
Yeast infections.
I currently have a yeast infection that will not go away. I have had all the standard tests-hiv,thyroid, and diabetes test, all came out negative. My doctor that I am currently using seems to think that it is not a big deal. My question is -are yeast infections really dangerous if you can't get the infection to go away? And will a vaginal yeast infection eventually turn into a systemic yeast problem? Embarassed
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2008
Experienced User
I am currently going to college and recently in two of my classes (medical terminology and disease conditions) and right as i got my yeast infection both of my classes had covered yeast infections in some way shape or form... i did read that they can become chronic. Meaning that you may get them over and over again. Is their any way that you could be pregnant, im not sure if you read the beginning of this forum or not but thats what someone had suggested it might be from because when you are pregnant all the hormonal changes can cause yeast infections. But may also be cause by a bunch of other things. Has your dr confirmed it is a yeast infection? If not maybe you should make sure of that first just to make sure its not something more serious like a STD or something.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
If my doc wasn't concerned about my yeast ifnections, I'd go see a new doc! That must be miserable.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
in response to keeba 88
No, I am not pregnant. And I never have been. I have had my sugar checked twice and it came out normal. I am 29 years old and have had this infection since 21 years old. It has never went away! Every time I go to the gyno, they do a slide test and it shows yeast. And when they do a culture, its yeast. I do not take birth control either. Also, I have switched doctors, I am seeing a new doctor currently.
|

replied February 19th, 2008
Re: Yeast infections.
Shannashaine wrote:
I currently have a yeast infection that will not go away. I have had all the standard tests-hiv,thyroid, and diabetes test, all came out negative. My doctor that I am currently using seems to think that it is not a big deal. My question is -are yeast infections really dangerous if you can't get the infection to go away? And will a vaginal yeast infection eventually turn into a systemic yeast problem? Embarassed

go get a second opinion!
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I think if you have chronic yeast infections that aren't treated, you might incur some scarring (and therefore, scar tissue) in the vagina and around the vulva from all the irritation. I don't know if any other serious problems could develop though, I don't think yeast infections spread into the reproductive tract like bacterial infections can, I'm not really sure.

It's definitely something you want to get treated though, just because you must be miserable!!
|

replied March 30th, 2010
How to Cure a BAAAAAD yeast infection naturally!
shanna! Try this remedy...I've had a yeast infection for 2 years and this treatment is clearing it up and feels amazing down there... 3 whopping tbs non-fat plain organic yogurt with live cultures, 2 tbs apple cider vinegar, 2 tbs aloe gel (the edible kind), 3 garlic cloves, 3 probiotic capsules (containing acidophilus, rheuteri, and rhamosus), and 2 tbs olive oil...blend all this together in a blender and rub it inside and out up to 4 times a day for as long as you need until its gone leave some of it on the outside to soak so you might want to wear a thin pad....also drink 2 tbs a day of apple cider vinegar with water, take vitamen C, excersize when possible, taking oil of oregano is good and limiting sugars and yeast products (including alcohol) is a must for a month or so....drink 6 glasses a of water a day and start every day with yogurt!!!! good luck and good health
|

replied July 8th, 2010
Yeast Comment
Just want to point out for some girls who may not have thought about this. I've had recurring yeast issues for years. I never once considered that it could be due to the structure of my labia! While I always knew they were uneven and felt this was natural and normal and all that, I didn't realize that the way the lips were hanging was trapping moisture in there so that during the winter with lots of layers there were issues and during the summer with the heat, issues. It causes me to be moist a lot, and while that was annoying enough, sitting at work in the moisture was a problem. If you eat lots of sugar or alcohol, that can contribute too. So can bc pills. This may seem radical to some but I've decided on the surgery, not due to appearance, because I always thought about it like Barbara Streisand's nose, but because it is always irritated and due to the above reason. queen
|

replied June 6th, 2011
Did you ever cure it?
|