Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Burning under shoulder blade

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
User Profile
19 year old male. I occasionally get a burning sensation under my right shoulderblade. The pain can be felt sometimes when taking a deep breath. Also, sometimes a bit after meals the pain acts up with heartburn. I've also developed a sore throat, I don't believe is related. What I find is interesting is that I do not have difficulty swallowing, and the pain occurs after I eat rather than before. I've had a chest x-ray to rule out lung problems. I have also had bloodwork done that came back normal, and a CT scan that showed nothing irregular. I was thinking maybe it's a pinched nerve since my right side of my back is in pain when I stretch it sometimes. I haven't been losing weight, in fact I've been gaining weight

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Cancers Answer A3701
Pain and heartburn after a meal could indicate a stomach disorder such as gastritis, peptic ulcer, hiatus hernia, tumor, etc. You can request diagnostics such as an abdominal ultrasound, gastroscopy and helicobacter pillory serology to confirm or exclude any possible disorders. You can also request an X-ray image of the spine to exclude spondilosis as a reason for the possible pinched nerve and back pain. If all medical investigations indicate nothing that can be identified, the pain could be due to a disturbed psycho-emotional condition and you may be able to seek help from a mental health professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.