Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Medical Marijuana Debate Forum

Marijuana. As Safe as You Think? (Page 1)

Their IS research pointing to marijuana not being as safe as many try and say. People who smoke marijuana are getting 3-5 times more tar into their lungs then the average cigarette smoker. Many have larger amounts of mucous, chronic coughing and other symptoms similar to smokers.

Marijuana is shown to cause a loss in motor skills and a large effect on critical parts of the brain that control learned skills and the changes caused by smoking marijuana are similar to those cause by many other major drugs.

Pregnant and breastfeeding women are also causing harm to their children. The THC is passed on to the child and this causes a loss in motor skills development causing their child to lose control of their muscles.

As we can see marijuana is not the *harmless drug* that many think. I do believe it can be effective in helping cancer patients and in medicinal purposes but should the average person be allowed to harm themselves for the joy of a high and in the process add to a growing drug trade industry? I don't think so.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2008
Community Volunteer
you dont have to smoke it!
Thats the great thing about marijuana, you don't have to smoke it so the whole problem of lung cancer and mucous and chronic coughing and smokers problems don't necessarily apply. As stated in many other medical marijuana threads, there are many ways to ingest it without having to smoke it. Smoking anything isn't good for you. But you can cook it in brownies, spaghetti sauce, you can inhale the vapors threw a vaporizer, you can get the THC in liquid form for spraying into your mouth, etc. So yes, marijuana is safe as stated. Smile
And by the way, no one is insinuating that pregnant women should use MJ or tobacco or alcohol, etc...a little common since goes a long long way.
|

Experienced User
The facts, medical data, science, and logic regarding the hazards of marijuana use are not of interest to those that have decided to smoke the weed for recreational purposes under the guise of being a "medicine".

I would suggest you send your remarks to the DEA and FDA as a concerned citizen. Most people that use marijuana for "medical" reasons do not cook it in spaghetti or in brownies...they smoke it and will continue to do so.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hi. Lizet!! It is your personal right to assess the mj situation up for yourself and act accordingly... it is everyone's personal right to do the same. The pollution and enviornmental allergens are not good for u either, but u have to breathe. The debates about good vs. bad effects of mj will go on forever. As homerx stated there are many ways to ingest mj--for medicinal use or recreational use--it has been on this planet for thousands of years and i am sure utilized in a variety of ways and for different reasons. There are probably as much pros as cons about mj as far as research goes...it is up to each person to decide to decline or use as they see fit. I think it is extremely rude to trash another person's views without knowing the complete circumstances of their use of mj. Where has tolerance and respect for another's opinion gone? Life is hard, there are alot of things out there that will kill u--eventually something will-- educate yourself and make your own personal decision re: mj --or anything else --for that matter. Good luck! Bobbette
|

Quote:
Because the effects are felt almost immediately by the smoker, further inhalation can be stopped at any time and the effect therefore regulated. In contrast, those ingesting marijuana experience effects that are slower to develop, cumulative, longer lasting, and more variable, making unpleasant reactions more likely with this method of administration.

Actually most of the effects I listed tend to be worsened but ingesting marijuana. You can not stop when *enough is enough* because it takes much longer to feel it and by then you could have already consumed more than desired. Also, the effects are felt for longer periods of time and are in fact worse than smoking.

And personal jabs will get you no where, especially when you misspell it Wink
|

Also, Bobbette, I never trashed anyone's views. I was stating medical fact that everyone should know before deciding to light up. It is NOT as healthy as everyone makes it out to be. Their are legitimate health concerns for people smoking marijuana and I believe they should know that.

Also, I did say it can be effective as a medical treatment, but I also believe that it should be a legitimate prescription, not just *I don't feel good let me get stoned and maybe that will help*
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Lizet--I was not referring to anything you posted--i was referring to back pain's response to homerxs' post. ---Bobbette ps what misspelling were u referrring to?--Sorry for the misunderstanding.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
back pain 5150-- you are inferring that anyone who recognizes the medicinal effects of mj is a "user". You are wrong for that, and again, just another one of your posts that have been reported. i will take the advice of other posters who have said when they see "back pain5150" or "Algosdoc" posts, they scroll right past it and never look back. Peace-- good luck with your mj phobia/trauma...goodbye ...Bobbette P.S. i think you r more open and objective on the back pain sites.
|

In all honesty, I do think it should be legalized, I just want everyone to stop saying it is soooo healthy. It isn't. Their is tar and side effects that should be known.

That being said, I think America can only gain from the legalization. It is not as bed as cigarettes or alcohol (by any means) but i can honestly say I would never do it. I do not smoke and rarely drink (and never excessively) so I am not picking and choosing my *drugs of choice* based on stigma.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
oh no, Lizet!!!!! I can see it coming -- the fda talk is coming have fun with it! Really though, you r making informed, intelligent choices for yourself!!! Good luck--Bobbette
|

Thanks! And the misspelling was directed at homerx and his jab at my common *since*
|

Experienced User
Interesting...I have no idea who back pain5150 is, so this must be a reference to a poster that is not on this forum. I am certainly relieved this person that you presume to "infer" something has been reported! I hope they were reported to the appropriate forum since they don't seem to be posting here. It is certainly constructive to report every post that we disagree with, since by eliminating the posters with an opposing opinion, we will be able freely espouse a uniform view. I applaud the effort to stamp out anyone that disagrees with you....that is the adult way to handle conflict.
If marijuana turns out to be a great drug that has less side effects and is at least as effective as other currently available drugs when subjected to rigorous scientific study, and it is produced in a form that will minimze the health issues from smoking it and in uniform controlled dosages, I would agree that it should be legalized. However in the absence of these conditions, it is no more reasonable to legalize it than heroin.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Lizet--i don't know if u have checked out the medicinal mj forums. They are very interesting and give the pros and cons and a variety of peoples' opinions (most are open and tolerant of others views). The tenth post on that forum is medical mj by homerx. It is his story. He also has had a stroke a couple of years ago and had to learn to read and write all over again. i know he uses spell check, but i guess it got away from him. Check it out... Bobbette
|

Ok, thanks. I take personal jabs fairly seriously when some one is questioning my common sense.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
lizet wrote:
Quote:
Because the effects are felt almost immediately by the smoker, further inhalation can be stopped at any time and the effect therefore regulated. In contrast, those ingesting marijuana experience effects that are slower to develop, cumulative, longer lasting, and more variable, making unpleasant reactions more likely with this method of administration.

Actually most of the effects I listed tend to be worsened but ingesting marijuana. You can not stop when *enough is enough* because it takes much longer to feel it and by then you could have already consumed more than desired. Also, the effects are felt for longer periods of time and are in fact worse than smoking.

And personal jabs will get you no where, especially when you misspell it Wink

I have no idea what personal jabs you are referring to. Care to give me a clue?If you are talking about the common since thing I was talking in general, not about you personally so if you took it personally then i am sorry.And yes, I had a stroke and had to learn to read and write all over again so sorry if it offends you when I misspell a word...please forgive my ignorance. respect
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
lizet wrote:
In all honesty, I do think it should be legalized, I just want everyone to stop saying it is soooo healthy. It isn't. Their is tar and side effects that should be known.

That being said, I think America can only gain from the legalization. It is not as bed as cigarettes or alcohol (by any means) but i can honestly say I would never do it. I do not smoke and rarely drink (and never excessively) so I am not picking and choosing my *drugs of choice* based on stigma.

Thanks, lizet, I personally think alcohol should be illegal so to each his own.. I do not drink alcohol ever and it definitely kills innocent bystanders... Sad
I do not know what you have read about me but I do have a terminal disease and my doctor has proscribed me Marinol and has told me to feel free to use Medical marijuana. I do not smoke it, I cook it and put it in teas and food so i am not affecting my lungs with toxic smoke. If we got off on the wrong foot or if I offended you then please except my apologies. And my spelling isn't so good since my stroke but believe it or not, I won 2 spelling bees in high school and used to read 2 or 3 novels every week. I really miss that. Sad peace and Love
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Yes, in the beginning I did smoke it until I was given the knowledge about using it in other ways i.e. cooking and eating and drinking and vaporizing,etc. You are heartless, backpain...my step father was terminal with colon cancer for 9 years, but he died. My uncle was terminal with lung cancer for 11 years, but he died. Terminal does not mean you are dying tomorrow. You are a real humanitarian. I hope you can see,lizit, what kind of person you are dealing with when you are dealing with backpain.
|

Experienced User
If we considered anyone with a severe illness to be "terminal", then chronic obstructive lung disease would be "terminal", and we would have millions of "terminal" people in this country. Same for serious heart disease, slow growing cancers, and some benign tumors. People would be touted as being "terminal" for 30-40 years. The term in fact, has some very definitive meanings and should not be bandied about in an inaccurate manner for whatever reason the person might have for doing so.

"A patient who has such an illness may be referred to as a terminal patient or terminally ill. Often, a patient is considered to be terminally ill when the life expectancy is estimated to be six months or less, under the assumption that the disease will run its normal course. A patient with a slowly progressing disease, such as AIDS, may not be considered terminally ill because the best estimates of longevity were greater than six months."

Since AIDs is fortunately now no longer considered a terminal disease for most people in the US due to expanded treatment options, it is beneficial for those claiming to be terminal to ask their doctors if they are expected to die in 6 months. If not, then live. Live well and without falsely embracing terms that have a very specific meaning if those terms do not apply.
|

Backpain, I am pretty sure AIDS is terminal. Not much you can do about it.

And Homer, I am fully aware. No worries.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Back pain - well--you have ruined yet another thread with your interloping (homerx was directly addressing lizet--not u)--- then with your needlessly cruel and incessant rantings. u know nothing of forum etiquette and should be banned from these forums for your aggressive, mean rantings. Soon u will be able to have exclusive interactions between yourself and Algosdoc.
|
Tags: add
Quick Reply