Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Loosing My Child to Drugs

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
I have a beautiful 26 year old daughter, she is 1 of 5. She has a son, Cody, who is 7. Since she was 14 years old, she has a had a drug problem. Started out with pot, then on to everything else you could possibly imagine. She has been arrested for robbery, driving with no licence, possession, kicking the window out of a police car, hit and run...the list goes on. She steals things out of the house to sell for drug money. She took her sons Christmas gifts, her son's grammas wedding rings, DVD's...etc. Of course denying all of this. I would be here all day if i explined evrything that has happened. Long story short. I managed to get her into a de-tox program (3days, whoopie) She wasn't out 3 hours and she was running for the drug house. She shoots heroin, smokes cocaine, no longer doing pot (big deal) She was addicted to painkillers, as one of her boyfriends was a pharmacist who could get his nasty little mits on anything he wanted. Now that he has lost his licence to practice anywhere in the Western Hemisphere, she has turned to street drugs. I (we) have tried and tried and tried to help her. I got her into a re-hab in our city, she went twice. I am afraid to go to bed at night not knowing if the phone will ring with bad news. I am petrified that my daughter will die. I have told her that but it goes right over her head. She cares about nothing other that where and when she will get her next fix. My niece died 1 year ago from an overdose of heroin. She went to a drug house and someone shot her up. She passed out and everyone else went to sleep. During the night everyone left exept her and the man who put the needle into her arm. In the morning he woke up to find her dead. He scooped her dead body up, put her into the backseat of her car and drove her to an apartment complex on the other side of town. He the put a loaded needle into her hand to make it look like she did this to herself. He took off. 3 days of searching for her, fliers were post everywhere. They finally found her as someone questioned why this car had been sitting there for 3 days without moving. Her dead 23 year beautiful body laid in the backseat of her car in 90 degree weather for 3 days. They got him on camera. He gets a whopping 2 years.
I am at the end of my rope. I am emotional wreck. She is mad at me and won't speak to me because she claims that i to much into her business. I will be in her business as much as possible. Now she claims that she takes methadone because she doesn't want to do the other stuff. That is a lie as she got mad at a friend of ours because she couldn't get her any coke, this was just last weekend. When she does take the meth, she buys them off the street, this is just so she won't get sick when she doesn't have enough money to buy the stuff she really wants. OMG, i don't know. I can't cry any more, i can't beg her to get help anymore, i can't spend hours on the phone trying to set her up with someone when she won't go anyway. What do i do, wait for her to die???? I try all the time. She goes into the worst of neighborhoods. She is all of 5 ft. 100 pounds, long blond hair and a beautiful smile. She is a sitting duck. I have heard that she does some nasty things to get money. I have heard that she will give oral sex to complet strangers to get some money. There are so many bad things that she could catch. I am desperate. I was even going to go as far as Oprah Winfrey or Dog the Bounty Hunter, see how i talk off my ass, that is desperate.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2008
Loosing My Child to Drugs
oh my god! I am so sorry about everything that you are going through! I really am. Maybe Oprah would be a good thing! By the way i am 17 so I know about most of this stuff. My aunt used to do drugs, she is 3 years older than me so she is pretty young... she got me into drugs when I was 12 cuz she knew everybody thought i was innocent enough so she could hide her stash with me. I was lucky enough to get out of most of it when I was 15 but I still smoke pot sometimes but not often... I know how you feel though cuz when she was doing it my grandma put her in bootcamp for 9 months and it worked really good but then a couple months of being home and hanging with those old friends she got back into it. It really suck cuz i have missed out on all the fun things to do with her cuz she is always doing drugs... she has even forgotten to pick me up from school cuz she was too busy getting high with her friends. I am trying to get clean but it is really hard cuz i have done it for so long and was exposed to it since i was little... i doubt this helped but just wanted you to know that there are others out there that is dealing with the same thing... kinda. Smile
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Do you support her at all with any money, a place to live, or anything of the sort? Have you thought about doing any kind of intervention? It seems drastic, but often times they can work. Sit down, tell her if she doesn't get clean you won't do A, help out with B, you will do C... (example...you won't let her stay at your place anymore and answer the phone if she needs you, you won't help and watch her son while she goes off to get a fix, you will file a report to the state for child neglect or a court case against her to get custody of her son since being raised in a drug environment is terrible and you could probably win). A lot of the time, being faced with harsh realities and having so much taken away can be enough to get a person to get into rehab and stay until they realize what they are doing.

With that aside, how is her son? Does he realize whats going on? Is he healthy and happy? Have you ever thought about talking to the authorites to keep him safe? You could always get her arrested for possesion; even if its only for a few nights it would at least go on her record if something ever bad happens or she gets caught again. Jail sounds horrible and scary, but she has to stay sober there and can probably sort her life out much better and learn a trade to earn herself money the honest way.

I know that both these options sound SUPER scary, but it's the only thing I can think of if detox, rehab, and supporting her haven't been working out. I am so so sorry that you have to go through all of this; it must be really hard to watch your daughter grow up and change so drastically. Make sure you have lots of friends to talk to about this; having support and someone to talk to can help you out a lot and help the pain. Know that you have many people who care and love you and will support you through your struggles with your daughter. If she does go into a rehab, you shoud think about attending some of their meetings. They talk about why people use, what to expect, and everyone tells their own stories. It helps you understand a lot better and feel a little less alone.

Hang in there. You are doing great and being very strong through this. I really hope that your daughter finds her way onto the right path. If you ever want to talk, feel free to PM me.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I'm sorry to hear about this. My brother died because of drugs and his story was lot less dramatic than this of your daugther. He had good profession, engineer, so he had no problem to afford his drugs and he was just occasional user. He lived normal life. He used crystal meth, exctasy.. So it looked like one day in a party some friend give him some drug with some deadly chemical in it because he didn't survive it. He never went to rehabs, he was just occasional users but here you go the consequences. After his dead well my parents suffered a lot but to be honest with the anxiety my mom was having when my brother was alive and not knowing of what could happen (same like you) I think she is much better now really.

I will keep you in my prayers.
|

Experienced User
My daughter is in the same boat. She took off last summer for over a week leaving her 4 kids (including a newborn). The fact that she left the new baby made us all think she was dead. It was horrendous. I feel for you so much. Having a child in this position is a nightmare.

I live in a different state than my daughter so it's not possible for me to enable her with material items or free babysitting or bail her out of trouble. I never send her money. I do buy her phone minutes, but I think that way she'd have the means to call 911 if she needed to. Also, living apart saves me the heartache of being pulled into her games. I'd probably enable her in any way she asked in order to feel that she needed me. That would be disaster for all concerned.

My daughter works & her boyfriend stays home with the kids. He's clean & the grandkids are very happy, so I know they're well taken care of. I'm concerned about your grandson. He's old enough to know something's going on even if he doesn't know what it is. Having an addicted parent is tough on a kid. There's a lot of baggage that goes with it. I don't know if you can be involved in his life, but you'd be a fantastic role model for him just by keeping in contact & showing an interest in what he does & loving him unconditionally.

Keep trying to communicate with your daughter. Mine won't discuss her issues at all. I wish she felt like she could. However, I keep calling & letting her know I care & I love her regardless of what she does. What she does isn't who she is. She's my daughter, no matter what. I love her, no matter what.

AlAnon helps loved ones of alcoholics. I don't know if there's such a program with Narcotics Anonymous. Does anyone know? If there isn't, I'd still check out AlAnon meetings because the principles are basically the same. It could give you some good insight into what's going on & empower you with the tools you need to deal with issues you may face.

Don't give up! There's always hope! There are alot of mothers like us out there. Women are naturally strong & we can help each other out if we try. Who would know what another mom in our position would need better than one who is already there??
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
bakin_april wrote:
My daughter is in the same boat. She took off last summer for over a week leaving her 4 kids (including a newborn). The fact that she left the new baby made us all think she was dead. It was horrendous. I feel for you so much. Having a child in this position is a nightmare.

I live in a different state than my daughter so it's not possible for me to enable her with material items or free babysitting or bail her out of trouble. I never send her money. I do buy her phone minutes, but I think that way she'd have the means to call 911 if she needed to. Also, living apart saves me the heartache of being pulled into her games. I'd probably enable her in any way she asked in order to feel that she needed me. That would be disaster for all concerned.

My daughter works & her boyfriend stays home with the kids. He's clean & the grandkids are very happy, so I know they're well taken care of. I'm concerned about your grandson. He's old enough to know something's going on even if he doesn't know what it is. Having an addicted parent is tough on a kid. There's a lot of baggage that goes with it. I don't know if you can be involved in his life, but you'd be a fantastic role model for him just by keeping in contact & showing an interest in what he does & loving him unconditionally.

Keep trying to communicate with your daughter. Mine won't discuss her issues at all. I wish she felt like she could. However, I keep calling & letting her know I care & I love her regardless of what she does. What she does isn't who she is. She's my daughter, no matter what. I love her, no matter what.

AlAnon helps loved ones of alcoholics. I don't know if there's such a program with Narcotics Anonymous. Does anyone know? If there isn't, I'd still check out AlAnon meetings because the principles are basically the same. It could give you some good insight into what's going on & empower you with the tools you need to deal with issues you may face.

Don't give up! There's always hope! There are alot of mothers like us out there. Women are naturally strong & we can help each other out if we try. Who would know what another mom in our position would need better than one who is already there??

911 is ALWAYS free from any phone, even if she doesn't have any minutes on it. Even if it were from a payphone or a cell phone that hasn't had minutes/a plan/is in debt, 911 calls will go through and be free.

I'm not sure for a fact if there is a program that helps loved ones with Narcotics Anonymous, but I'm pretty sure there might be. I know our local AlAnon actually covers narcotics problems as well here, too.

Thanks for the powerful words and sharing your story. I'm sure it will help her a lot knowing she is not alone
|

replied February 10th, 2008
Experienced User
Thanks for the info on the phones!
|

replied February 12th, 2008
Experienced User
Thanks..........
Thanks for the kind words and prayers. Sometimes you feel like your the only person in the world that has stuff like this happen to you. But then, you see there are others out there who are feeling the same pain as you are. My heart is broken. I am so scared. I feel like my child is just swimming in circles and refuses the life line. I talk and talk till i am blue in the face, which only makes her angrier to the point where she tells me to get out of her business. I back off, till the next time.
I gave birth to a beautiful healthy sweet baby girl, on a beautiful spring day in 1981. She was 7 years after my second daughter. We were alone together all day, and bonded like no other. I was not working, so it was just "us" most of the time. We were always going and doing something. She was so smart. By-passing kindergarten and going into first grade, she absorbed everything so quickly. I cried like a baby the day she started school. She was the one who held it together and told me i had to be a big girl. Oh gosh, that was so long ago. Now today she is a full blown addict. She has a little boy, my grandson. He is as smart as a whip, just like his mom was at that age. He is safe and healthy, and his other grandparents make sure he knows nothing. My daughter and grandson live with them, as we live to far out in the country for her. The family does not want to hear about it anymore. Every time i try to talk to one of them they just roll their eyes and move on to the next topic, which has nothing to do with her. I checked out some support groups for me, i feel like i'm loosing touch. I wish God would shine down on her and give her the strength to look to get better. I can't anymore. Everything under the sun was put out on the table, she bucked everyone of them. We tried intervention, she figured out what was going on and took off. That was a waste of time for sure. She finally got a job, AT A STRIP CLUB, my God, will it ever end? Any job she had lasts only a few pay checks. She gets money and goes off on a toot, misses work, doesn't call in and gets fired. I'm so happy she is doing something to earn her own money, but a STRIP CLUB? I feel like crawling into bed and pulling the covers over my head. I am sad everyday. When the phone rings at nite i just about fall out of bed. Wondering who could be calling this late at nite. Her, the police, the hospital, whomever. My girl is dying in front of my eyes. She is supposed to bury me, not the other way around. She has been in jail for a few days. She just got sick from lack of drugs. The police just gave her a bucket and said that don't deal with a junkie. They don't give you methadone in jail to relieve your symptoms, they call it "geeking" She gets through it the best way she can. When she gets out a few days later she looks like death warmed over, hits the nearest drug house then sleeps for a day. How awful is that? I talked to my oldest the other day, he is 31. He is totally disgusted. He said, mom, why doesn't she just take to much of whatever it is she is taking and just get it over with!!!! I was shocked. I couldn't even finish the conversation. I told my husband what he said. My husband is not Julie's bio dad. Anyway, i told him what my son said. His reply was, well, what the hell do you expect at this point. Everyone is sick and tired of the same stuff. It's old now. We are just fed up with YOUR looser of a daughter. Needless to say, we did not speak to each other for days. I HATED him at that moment. See, i am in this alone. I don't even bring up stuff anymore. Jeez, i did not realize how i have gone on and on. I must have needed to. My fingers on the keyboard try to keep up with my thoughts. But thanks for listening (or reading)...Please keep me in your prayers along with my daughter.
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. From my own drug history and my own mother still does the things your daughter does. The only thing that has freed me from my mother is to let her go. I love her but I do not try to help her be sober or help her get money. I do not talk to her about her dope deals and such. I have totally backed off. I have 5 siblings and 3 of them still live with her. Some of them are already doing drugs with her. I have called the police and child protective services on her. I have cried and begged. I even did hard core drugs with her for 3 years. I have beat my self blue trying to support my mother and brothers. I gave every dime to her. I started work at 14 so my brothers could have food and shoes.

But after all of this and I am now 21. She is still doing the same thing. I do not hang on to the hope that she will ever get better. I no longer stay up at night scared that my lil brother will be raped or hurt by one of her men. I do not give her money. I stay away from her sick lifestyle. I love her and I make sure to tell her. I see my siblings a couple times a week and I try to teach them another way of life. But I dont get involved in my mother. I know it has to feel different and hurt more when its your own child. I do not have kids but I feel that my mother is my big kid.

I am ok with her life today. I do not hurt anymore because of what she does and I do not live in fear. The only reason is because I went to Al-Anon. Its an organization that helps family, spouses, and friends of drugs addicts and alcoholics. PLease look them up on the web. Or PM me as soon as you get this. I would love to give you more information about Al-Anon.....there are soooo many people out there just like you. You can find tons of people in your city that you can meet and get support from. It saved me sanity. Please PM me....
|

replied February 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Thanks..........
bbfeet9 wrote:
Now today she is a full blown addict. She has a little boy, my grandson. He is as smart as a whip, just like his mom was at that age. He is safe and healthy, and his other grandparents make sure he knows nothing. My daughter and grandson live with them, as we live to far out in the country for her. The family does not want to hear about it anymore. Every time i try to talk to one of them they just roll their eyes and move on to the next topic, which has nothing to do with her. I checked out some support groups for me, i feel like i'm loosing touch. I wish God would shine down on her and give her the strength to look to get better. I can't anymore. Everything under the sun was put out on the table, she bucked everyone of them. We tried intervention, she figured out what was going on and took off. That was a waste of time for sure.

Where is your grandson's father? Your daughter is living with her (husband's?) parents with her son, right? It seems like they (the people your daughter lives with) have to bear the brunt of her drug addiction, seeing as they actually live with her, and must see the effects every day.

What do they say about her behavior?

Quote:
Please keep me in your prayers along with my daughter.

I surely will.
|

replied February 22nd, 2008
Experienced User
My grandsons dad has been in jail for the past two years. He was quite an addict also. He robbed a bank and arrested. My daughter does live the his parents. (they were never married) I have more than once asked her to come live with us, but she says that we live to far from the city. She lost her drivers license, but she will still use any ones car. Yes, they do get the short end all the time. They won't throw her out because of the baby. We have him on Fri. Sat. and Sun. I take him home after dinner sunday nite. He is a beautiful bright little boy who has no idea about what is going on. We all make sure that he is ok. That fam has totally had it. I talk to the other gramma at least twice a day on the phone. I have not spoken to my daughter since she used my bank information to buy dope. This was about 2 weeks ago.
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2008
Supporter
Re: Loosing My Child to Drugs
bbfeet9 wrote:
I have a beautiful 26 year old daughter, she is 1 of 5. She has a son, Cody, who is 7. Since she was 14 years old, she has a had a drug problem. Started out with pot, then on to everything else you could possibly imagine. She has been arrested for robbery, driving with no licence, possession, kicking the window out of a police car, hit and run...the list goes on. She steals things out of the house to sell for drug money. She took her sons Christmas gifts, her son's grammas wedding rings, DVD's...etc. Of course denying all of this. I would be here all day if i explined evrything that has happened. Long story short. I managed to get her into a de-tox program (3days, whoopie) She wasn't out 3 hours and she was running for the drug house. She shoots heroin, smokes cocaine, no longer doing pot (big deal) She was addicted to painkillers, as one of her boyfriends was a pharmacist who could get his nasty little mits on anything he wanted. Now that he has lost his licence to practice anywhere in the Western Hemisphere, she has turned to street drugs. I (we) have tried and tried and tried to help her. I got her into a re-hab in our city, she went twice. I am afraid to go to bed at night not knowing if the phone will ring with bad news. I am petrified that my daughter will die. I have told her that but it goes right over her head. She cares about nothing other that where and when she will get her next fix. My niece died 1 year ago from an overdose of heroin. She went to a drug house and someone shot her up. She passed out and everyone else went to sleep. During the night everyone left exept her and the man who put the needle into her arm. In the morning he woke up to find her dead. He scooped her dead body up, put her into the backseat of her car and drove her to an apartment complex on the other side of town. He the put a loaded needle into her hand to make it look like she did this to herself. He took off. 3 days of searching for her, fliers were post everywhere. They finally found her as someone questioned why this car had been sitting there for 3 days without moving. Her dead 23 year beautiful body laid in the backseat of her car in 90 degree weather for 3 days. They got him on camera. He gets a whopping 2 years.
I am at the end of my rope. I am emotional wreck. She is mad at me and won't speak to me because she claims that i to much into her business. I will be in her business as much as possible. Now she claims that she takes methadone because she doesn't want to do the other stuff. That is a lie as she got mad at a friend of ours because she couldn't get her any coke, this was just last weekend. When she does take the meth, she buys them off the street, this is just so she won't get sick when she doesn't have enough money to buy the stuff she really wants. OMG, i don't know. I can't cry any more, i can't beg her to get help anymore, i can't spend hours on the phone trying to set her up with someone when she won't go anyway. What do i do, wait for her to die???? I try all the time. She goes into the worst of neighborhoods. She is all of 5 ft. 100 pounds, long blond hair and a beautiful smile. She is a sitting duck. I have heard that she does some nasty things to get money. I have heard that she will give oral sex to complet strangers to get some money. There are so many bad things that she could catch. I am desperate. I was even going to go as far as Oprah Winfrey or Dog the Bounty Hunter, see how i talk off my ass, that is desperate.

Hi, I would try oprah too or Dr Phil perhaps.. My mum was a heroin addict though I was shipped half way across the country so i didn't see it really. Believe it or not she has recovered now as is perfectly okay. Her boyfriends parents at the time put her into rehab. I know it wasn't the first time that she went in there and I know that she escaped one time but in the end it worked. I wonder if theres any way you could lock her up in a place somewhere. i know it sounds absolutely crazy but I mean you are desperate and her life is most definately at risk.. Not sure on the legalities. I tell you what if it were my daughter i would.

Harmony xo
|