Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

Thrombophlebitis pain in arm

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I have been worried about this pain I found in my arms. The only closest condition I can find is thrombophlebitis that might describe what I feel. One day, it just suddenly hurts for no reason, and when I try to massage it, I felt something that was like a hardened nerve or vein. It started around my elbow area and extends halfway down my forearm towards my hand. It happened on both arms at the same time. I could only feel the pain slightly when I articulate my wrist, but it hurts the most when I push down on the "vein" area. The pain is isolated to the forearm area exactly where that vein is only. There was no swelling or visible redness otherwise. The pain subsided in a few days. Another episode in my bicep area, both arms again, same symptoms.

Does this sound like a blood clotting issue or phlebitis? Or more like a nerve issue? I am confused because of the lack of swelling and any visible veins.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2008
Blood Disorders Answer A3652
YOU WROTE:

List of pre-existing conditions: Hypertension, HPylori (treated recently), Kidney cyst (complex 1.3cm type 2, waiting for MRI scan results)

Current medical status: Routine blood work, kidney and liver function blood work, urinalysis, 24-hour catacholemine urine test all came back normal. Renal ultrasound found complex cyst (otherwise normal). MRI (with IV contrast) for further follow up on renal cyst (no results yet).

Current medical treatment: Ramipril 2.5mg once daily Ranitidine 150mg once daily

According to the symptoms you report (isolated pain in the forearm) you probably are not experiencing thrombophlebitis because other symptoms like redness, swelling and local temperature are not present. Pain in the arm could be due to other reasons such as nerve or muscle affection especially when provoked by wrist movement. You can visit your GP for a complete examination and precise diagnosis.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.