Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Failed Surgical Abortion (Page 1)

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I had a surgical abortion 2 weeks ago. At the time, I thought I was 6 weeks along. According to the ultrasound, I was actually only about 5 weeks.

After the procedure, the nurse came out and said that I had to have blood work done as soon as possible and then two days later to check for Beta hcg levels. I did as asked. I got a call back and told that the levels weren't dropping and that I needed to get another test done 5 days later. I did as asked. Well, they called back and said that the levels were rising and that I needed to come back in and do the procedure again. They said that there was still products of conception left. What exactly is that?

Can somebody tell me what has happened. Am I still pregnant or is there just some tissue left? I still feel pregnant but no fever or pain.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper belinda99
|

replied February 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You could still be pregnant, but that does not mean it is viable. Understand? You could basically have HALF of a fetus inside of you.

OR you could JUST have some placental tissue inside of you, which would continue the pregnancy feelings.

You should have another abortion/re suction so that you do not develop any problems.
|

That sounds horrifying! In terms of "half" a fetus left inside - when the nurse did the initial ultrasound I was so early that there was no fetus yet... she actually showed me the picture on the monitor because I guess she thought it would make me feel better that there wasn't actually a baby formed yet, just what looked like a round cell. And it did make me feel better... until now.

So given I was so early and no fetus had formed yet, if they left part of the cells inside - could that have formed into half a fetus? Either way, the thought of having to do this all over again is very distressing to me.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I can't even imagine how hard it must be to be in your situation. As sad as it is, you must stick with your decision and do the right thing by going back in. There's no telling WHAT could become of the situation if you wait any longer or leave it "untreated".
|

Thank you for your sympathy. I do have an appointment already schedualed.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
I'm so sorry that you are having to go through that. I hope everything turns out ok. Good luck!
|

replied February 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Were you asleep or sedated for the procedure?

The clinic I work at gives ALL women IV sedation, and it is included in the cost.

It makes the procedure painless, and you do not remember it.

Do you have the option of iv sedation?
|

replied February 8th, 2008
They injected someting into a vein in my arm. It actually works very well - I was awake, but I felt no pain and really don't remember anything. One moment I was on the bed and the next walking to the waiting room, dressed. If I could just stop my vivid imagination and also mentally beating up on myself..... I am really hoping that it is just a bit of placenta left over and nothing else.

I actually had an appointment for 10:30 with first appointments at 9 am. I asked if there were going to be like 9 other women in front of me and If I'd have to wait longer than the 10:30 appointment (as the last time, they were 2 hours late). The receptionist then said, if I arrived right at 9, they'll squeeze me in first. Apparently, I don't need the consoulling part as I've gone through it all ready.
|

replied February 9th, 2008
I just came back from my appointment. There is now speculation that it may be an etopic pregnancy. They did another outside and internal ultrasound. There appeared to be some tissue in the uterus which they removed. However, the doctor said that it wasn't enough to cause my hcg levels to go up. I had to have more blood work today and another on Monday. If the levels are still rising it means I do have an etopic pregnancy and I'll have to go to emergency and get a medical abortion.

I'm hoping for the best and the bit of tissue they found was it and there is no etopic pregnancy. I just want this all to be over.
|

replied March 28th, 2009
ignorance
im tired of hearing people say that at 5 weeks its a fetus well its not even a fetus yet its a zygotec, the size of a zygotec at 5 weeks is the size of a sesame seed! at 5 weeks basically all it is is a little bag full of fluid wich is where the zygotec lives. Ladies if ur going to get an abortion please do it as EARLY as possible not too early because they might miss it but try to make it less than 11 weeks because after that then i think that is plain wrong. there is women that get abortions up to 22 weeks! now that is evil, how can u want to terminate at that stage when that baby is moving inside of u! i felt miserable the first months of my pregnancy with my child but after i felt that living little person move inside my belly all the discomfort of pregnancy went away!
|

replied April 9th, 2009
u chose to abort
do what dr says but i'd go with your heart dont abort again.

kids are a blessing
|

replied January 9th, 2010
Hi i know excatley what you are going through. When i was 7 and half weeks pregnant i decided to abort the pregnancy due to having a son with disabilities and my and husband needed to give him all our attention. So i headed of the a well known company to have the operation. I was put under sedation and they went aheaded with procedure. My husband and i left the company and headed to pick up our other three children. Two girls and a boy. over the next few weeks i found that my boobs and stomach were getting bigger. I didn't even get any periods. So I saw my doctor and he said come back around 8 weeks after the abortion. So i went aheaded and did a home pregnancy test ands it was positive. I went back and saw my doctor and had a blood test that confirmed i was pregnant. He sent me of a ultrasound, I then found out the abortion failed and i was 13 and half weeks pregnant. No of course i couldn't go ahead and get another abortion. I personally felt like it was too far into the pregnancy. I then rang the company who did the procedure and they said sorry and gave me my money back. WOW!! 6 and half months later i delivered a healthy baby boy who is going to be one on the 22nd of january. I had no complications and he is healthy. But you make the decision that you need to make everyone is different. My other son got his disability at the age of one, so i am nervous for my last son who is turning one in 2 weeks.
|

replied April 19th, 2010
Dukedrew(Miracle Baby)
to dukedrew..that is simply amazing that God blessed you with the baby..I am happy to know he was born healthy...I may be going through the same situation...but I am not certain, but just to know it can happen is truly amazing..
|

replied May 15th, 2010
About the sedation. I wanted a general anastheatic but was told to have sedation as I wouldn't feel any pain or even remember the procedure, NOT TRUE! I felt drunk but still felt some pain but worst of all is that I remember everything very clearly and the sound of the machine that they stuck inside me(that sounded like an electric staplegun that keeps refiring) will haunt me forever. I bitterly regret doing this and can't bear my husband to even touch me. I've been praying it didn't work-but I'm sure it did. Marie Stokes just treat you like cattle, I never even saw a doctor and the 'consultation' was done over the phone probably by someone on commision!
|

replied May 27th, 2010
I have to go back to Marie Stopes today after a failed surgical abortion - still showing positive on test 4 weeks afterwards. Still only 8 weeks. I'm terrified.
|

replied June 21st, 2010
i went to marie stopes for a termination and was sedated,i felt everything it was horrible.i was told to do the pregnancy test 3 weeks later,it was still positive so i went back to my local hospital who confirmed i was now 9 and a half weeks pregnant i now want to keep the baby but keep hearing horry stories about the baby being not being born healthy.i wish id never have gone and thought about this before going ahead with the termination now i have to hope and pray my miracle baby is healthy and well .if there is anyone who this has happened to and have had a healthy baby id love to hear from you .
|

replied September 12th, 2012
Hi, I know this post is a while back so i hope you dont mind me asking how your situation has turned out? Im regrettin my termination so much and hope that it hasnt worked..
|

replied January 5th, 2011
Failed surgical abortion
I have had a surgical abortion at 7weeks on NHS. The care was second to none, after the procedure, I didn't have a period for 9weeks. The clinic told me today, I'm 15weeks pregnant. How often does this happen?
|

replied January 9th, 2011
I had a failed surgical abortion. My child survived and is now a gorgeous seven year old. <3 I was seven weeks when I had the abortion under intravenous sedation, "twilight" anesthesia. I was already a single mother and my then-boyfriend ran a mile when I told him I was pregnant, and told me to get "rid of it". I remember crying as I fell unconscious for the abortion. I bled afterwards and had painful cramping. I was told the abortion was successful. I was given antibiotics to take. When I got home afterwards I felt so depressed I took Valium and sleeping pills for several days to try and forget about what I'd done. Two weeks later I was very ill with vomiting. So ill that I was taken to hospital, I just couldn't stop vomiting. A pathology test showed higher levels of HcG than I'd had before the abortion. A doctor in emergency said that placental tissue may be remaining. I had an ultrasound, I was very anxious that I may need a D and C to remove any tissue left behind. I will never forget the shock of the woman performing the ultrasound saying to me "oh, there's a heartbeat", and there was my tiny little baby wriggling around (I was between 8 and 9 weeks now). I couldn't bring myself to have another abortion, my doctor even said to me "it was meant to be". I had an anxious pregnancy, although I had a lot of testing done and knew by the 18 week ultrasound and amniocentesis that the baby was fine. He was born at 33 weeks and is my greatest gift from God. I love him so much it hurts, I cannot believe he is here and brings so so much love and happiness into my life all due to a failed abortion. To anyone contemplating an abortion- Don't do it!! I thought I couldn't manage on my own with another child, but the joy he brings into my life is indescribable. Thank God for my son .
|
Users who thank Sydney2011 for this post: flymom 

replied February 15th, 2011
Failed surgical abortion?
i have just come back from the hospital as i was getting an orange discharge. the hospital did a pregnancy test and it tested positive.
I was 11 weeks whenn i decided to have the surgical abortion, i had a son 3 months ago through having an emergency c section, and had afew complications afterwards. I didint want to go through that agin so soon.
I have to go back to get a scan tomorrow. By reading your storie, that you was still pregnant has amased me. The doctor said it will just be tissue.
I dont feel pregnant, but im hopingn i still am as i deeply regret having the abortion.
|

replied June 15th, 2011
I would like to know how the appointment went and if the procedure was successful or not? What ended up happening if you dont mind me asking?
|

replied February 15th, 2011
I pray you are still pregnant. I too feel intense regret at the abortion I had, my little boy is just the greatest gift. Some days I still can't believe he's here. I had never heard of an abortion failing before. It's a guilt I will have to live with for the rest of my life. If you're still pregnant please don't have another abortion. I know it's hard to imagine how you will cope, but God provides a way. I've managed much better than I ever thought possible.

My son made me an origami loveheart at school for Valentine's Day- moments like those my heart just breaks with love for him.

God bless.
|
12 >>