Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

How to delay a period

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hi - my friend is getting married pretty soon, and her wedding will fall on her period!! How does she know? She always has routine cycles.. 7 day cycles, and always starts the same day every month (+/- 1 day). She's probably just being paranoid and its probably just fine to have a wedding while on her period. But she thinks it will feel akward and she'll probably have cramps and moodiness. She wants to be able to enjoy her wedding day and honeymoon. The wedding is a huge deal for her and her guests. What advice or suggestions can I give her?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper goinkrazy6215
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2008
Supporter
there is no way to delay her period. to attempt to do it may even be dangerous, cos i certainly dont know any healthy way to do it!!

the only way it is possible is if you are on birth control pills. when on birth control, your period will come a couple of days after finishing your active pills. say for example you are due to finish your active pills on the 10th of the month, but on the 15th you are going on holiday, you could finish the active pills on the 5th instead so that your period will have come and gone by that time. or you can delay it by taking some extra active pills. as long as you are not taking any more than seven inactive pills you are still protected.

it's not advisable to do this regularly, but i would do it very occasionally, say if i am going to a festival or something.

i'm gonna assume your friend doesn't want to be on the pill though. either that or she wouldn't have time to sort it out between now and the wedding anyway.
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
She really needs to get on birth control now and if she's on it for a few months before the wedding, she'd be able to skip her period.

BTW- Do NOT shorten the active pills, always take all of the active pills. If you want to skip your period, it is better to just not take the placebo week- start the next pack of active pills right away instead. It is safe to do this as often as you want. Otherwise you compromise your protection from pregnancy.
|

replied May 2nd, 2009
there is another way
If you are not on the pill, then there is a medicine called norethisterone, which can be started three days before a period is due. It is continued for the next seven days (when the period is due) and then stopped, when normal vaginal bleeding will take place.

Both of the above medications are available on an NHS but the norethisterone only needs to be taken as needed, whereas the pill really needs to be started one to two months before necessary, to be really effective.
|

replied September 4th, 2010
anyone plz tell me.... i m telling my problem very frankly...i did sex my husband..that day at evening my period happen ...it was 26 july...after that still my period did not happen... is anyone plz tell me..what should i do...?? am i pregnant ?? if i then i dont want it now....then what should i do...plz tell me ....plzzz
|