Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

2 and a half year old development (Page 1)

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
Okay, I just want to know how everyone elses 2-3 year old is developing. What are they able to do? My son is very smart (in my opinion) but, I'm just curious to know how other kids his age are developing. Thanks...this could be fun:o)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MommaOf2Girls
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2008
Experienced User
Developmentally, your son should be able to brush his teeth with help, be able to wash and dry his hands, can try to draw a vertical line when a writing utensil is placed in his hand, jump with both feet, open doors, stack six blocks, walk with smooth toe-to-heel motions, walk down a few stairs (if he is used to them), half of his speech is understandable, and he can make 2-3 word sentences. He is probably working on mastering drawing a circle, balancing on one foot, putting on a tshirt, using pronouns like I and you, recognizing ABC's, naming one or two colors, recognizing gender differences, and becoming toilet trained during the day.

No matter what, all children are different, and reaching some milestones earlier while others come later does not mean there is anything developmentally wrong with your child. It simply means he learns differently, as all people do. I'm sure you've probably seen progress in most, if not all, of these areas. I bet he's been surprising you lately with how much he learns! Is there anything special he has been doing?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
By the way, at three, children are often able to carry on simple conversation for some time, recite their name, describe how two objects are used, get dressed by himself, brush teeth by himself, alternate feet while going up stairs, ride a tricycle, use three to four word sentences, name 2 actions (like skip, sit, jump...), and be able to separate fairly easily from their parents (only if they have at least some experience with this, of course).
|

Thanks<3
Hey! Thanks so much for responding! Do you have any children? My son's name is Ryley. He is a smart boy! I'm never around any other 2-3 year olds to know if his development is fast or slow or right where it's suppose to be!?! Well, I know it isn't slow lol! At his age he can say his ABC's, count to 20, spell his first name, ride to tri cycle, sing lots of childrens songs, brushes his teeth, he is potty trained during the day, he says his prayers at night, and can say the Lords Prayer all the way through, he knows most of the basic colors... and he carries on a conversation as well as my 5 year old nephew. I just wish I knew some other adults with children close to his age. I really don't know how to meet them though...I'd feel silly just walking up to someone in the mall and saying "hi, can your kid come over and play with mine!?" lol! Anyways, thanks so much the useful tips and for responding! Talk to you later:o)

Teresa<3
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2008
Experienced User
Aww, I bet Ryley is soo fun to be around! I'm in a few child development and early childhood education classes at my university, so I just happened to have a bunch of information on hand. I don't have any children, but my husband and I are planning on expanding our family in about two years when we get finished with school and settled into our careers. I can't wait, though Smile As of now, I'll just enjoy my dog. Laughing

I can imagine how you feel not having anyone for him to play with. I'd suggest spending an evening or two with him at a good local park. I try and take my dog to the dog park twice a week atleast, and its right next to a playground. I have never been there when there wasn't atleast two families playing there, and I live in a small town. It's a great way to meet new people... and mom's that take their kids out for the day are always the type of people you wouldn't mind your kid playing with Smile Good luck!
|

replied February 28th, 2008
Experienced User
Is he 2 or 3? My kid's leap in development during that one year was absolutely astounding. She went from saying a handful of sentences, maybe 40 words and following simple instructions (like, "Put your ball away and bring me the book you want me to read you") at 24-26 months and by three was doin ABC's, spelling her name, counting, basic math and all kinds of cool stuff and junk!

If you're looking to meet other kids his age, try the library story time, gymboree, mommy baby yoga, swimming class, meet-up.com mommy groups, craigslist mommy groups. Rec centres always have bulletin boards with ads for mom groups. There's also day care (for a day or so/week), nursery school, parenting toddler classes, and a heck of a lot more if you just have a look.

If you're looking to make friends it's probably best not to start out the conversation with asking for the kid's milstones and using them to show off how smart your kid is.
|

replied March 17th, 2008
My 3 yr old
My 3 old daughter sounds alot like your son. She knows all of her colors and shapes, sings the ABCs, can count to 12, spell her name. She is working on recognizing her letters and numbers. Physically, she is a little slower, but she is a tiny thing (only 26 lbs). She is learning to ride her trike, but loves to run, jump and dance. And as far as speech goes, I can't get her to STOP talking. She carries conversations on forever and remembers past conversations and brings them up again if she sees something that triggers it -like "Oh, the cows are not in the field. Did they go to sleep mama? Did they fly to play in the trees?" Did I mention the imagination... 3 years old is SO MUCH FUN! I love getting her to tell me her ideas on how things work or happen! By the way, I have met alot of kids her age (and their moms) at church sunday school. They typically live in the area and are in a class full of the same ages.
|

replied February 8th, 2009
prettygirlgirl
prettygirlgirl, I really don't think the last paragraph of your response to Teresann86 was called for. My 2 1/2 year old son is extremely advanced for his age as well and I take a lot of pride in telling anyone I meet. I suppose if you take offence to that it is because your child isn't developing as fast. There is no need to be offended as every child develops differently. Hang in there, someday you too will want to brag about your child's successes.
|

replied October 21st, 2012
I understood what she meant by it and I don't think she was offended at all.She made a good point.There is a difference between bragging and telling someone about your child.What the child can do will only matter to the other mother if she ASKS you what they can do.If you brag when their kid cannot do a certain thing and yours can,it will only make them feel badly/worried/resentful ect..They will not want anymore playdates lol.
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
development
my son is 2 and a half he is the same way as all of you are describing, he can spell his name he can count to ten in spanish and english,he knows colors in both languages talks and talks althoug sometimes in what we call spanglish half the sentence in english and he finishes it in spanish..hehe
I am having problems finding him friends because I am his dad and I am a big latino in a caucassian neighboorhood so when I take him to the park moms don not run up to us..also compared to other 2y.o. my son is 3'3 and 60 pounds solid, so diapers are being a problem can anyone help potty training
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
my son scott is 3 on the 20th of june and he does everything.
can talk for scotland and sure knows how to run fast lol i know since i seem to have o chase him.

he can do the toilet, brushteeth, get changed, even bath but i keep an eye out, hes a good little colouring in kid and he loves animals and could tell you nearly where there all from lol

i love it now hes older

hes great with rheece
|

replied July 28th, 2009
Something to think about...
Einstein did not talk until he was 5. From age 5 to 10 he only said short very low sounding sentences. He failed many courses throughout his education. But became the smartest man in the world. For those you do have kids that are late bloomers, don't give up hope. Keep teaching and loving your child! God Bless!
|

replied October 10th, 2009
My daughter recently turned 2. She has known all her letters, and colors since about 18mo. She has been saying the Pledge of Allegiance for a few months, knows most shapes, speaks in 3-8 word sentances, knows the difference between who is a boy and who is a girl, Counts to 20 (14-16 all sound alike though), regignizes some numbers 1-9, remembers EVERYTHING, knows 30ish childrens songs, understands concepts like on, off, under, next to, up, down, etc, draws straight lines and circles, loves to pretend, likes to play with other kids, pretty good at sharing, LOVES books, has been gentle with paper books since 12/18 mo, knows 20ish animals and their sounds, I can't even count how many words she knows. She probably had the vocabulary (at least number of words) of a 4 year old. etc. etc. etc. She is just too smart! Smile
She goes to preschool 2 mornings a week for the social aspects. Her teacher seemed suprised the other day that she knows her colors.
I have taught preschool and recently worked at a daycare. She was smarter than all the 2yr olds and many of the 3 and 4 yr olds when it comes to actual "book knowledge".
It's kinda nice to see someone else with a child that is also advanced. She can't spell her name and just recently started pronouncing it somewhat clearly but, it's not an easy name. Her name is Elizabeth.
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
MommyJen, I think you are misreading PrettyGirlyGirl's response, which is actually a good piece of advice. She is simply saying bragging (even if you are proud--as we all are--of our children's accomplishments) is not the best way to approach new relationships. She's making a simple point about etiquette. It certainly doesn't mean she isn't proud of her own child! Unfortunately your last line was as offensive as you thought PrettyGirlyGirl's to be.

Look, I have two kids. Of course I think they are awesome and smart. We are all proud of our little ones. It's nice when we can see each child's accomplishments as something special--whether or not they fit into a some sort of milestone scale.
|

replied March 26th, 2010
Most geniuses often develop late. That is a fact. I know many children who did not talk until they were three or four and they speak wonderfully, but if your child develops early or late it really doesn't determine anything. A lot of parents brag because they are proud of their children, who wouldn't be? Everyone can relax.
|

replied June 7th, 2010
why my 3 1/2 yr old son isn't speaking in sentences?
I have 2 daughters 21 and 17, they both spoke in sentence between 2-3 years old. I have a son now that is 3 1/2 and doesn't carry a conversation with us. He is very smart in all the other ways (can read more than 50 words and small sentences, counts to over 50, reconizes and says ABCS, spells his name, know all colors and shapes). I am just worried why he isn't speaking with us in conversation. We are a bilingual family (I am American and my husband is from Europe). Our son now understands the other language fully and can speak some too. I just can't help but worry why he isn't talking more since my daughters did at his age and most other kids at his age do. Can anyone give me any advice. I am worried there is something wrong that his doctors has noticed. I would appreciate any advice.
|

replied June 7th, 2010
why my 3 1/2 yr old son isn't speaking in sentences?
I have 2 daughters 21 and 17, they both spoke in sentence between 2-3 years old. I have a son now that is 3 1/2 and doesn't carry a conversation with us. He is very smart in all the other ways (can read more than 50 words and small sentences, counts to over 50, reconizes and says ABCS, spells his name, know all colors and shapes). I am just worried why he isn't speaking with us in conversation. We are a bilingual family (I am American and my husband is from Europe). Our son now understands the other language fully and can speak some too. I just can't help but worry why he isn't talking more since my daughters did at his age and most other kids at his age do. Can anyone give me any advice. I am worried there is something wrong that his doctors has noticed. I would appreciate any advice.
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Re: why my 3 1/2 yr old son isn't speaking in sentences?
pjistrate wrote:
My son was the same as yours. No need to worry. Boys, as a general rule (not all boys, but more boys than girls)tend to advance faster in motor skills, whereas girls tend to develop faster with language. As long as he talks, conversation or not, then he is fine. My son actually did not start talking until he was four, he is now almost seven and sometimes I pray he would be quiet for a few seconds lol. It is harder for boys to put words together to make sentences, so their conversational skills may seem delayed, in comparison to girls. If you are worried, it would not hurt to get him involved in speech therapy (talk to your son's doctor, and see about a referral), it might bring him out of his "shell". Remember, all children develop at different rates and all children have different orders of development (speech first, then motor skills or motor skills first, then speech, etc).
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2010
my daughter is almost 2 and a half and is absolutely gorgouse. she recognizes all the letters in the alphabit and says them. doesnt know them in order yet. can count to 10. knows most colors and shapes. she trys to repeat everything i say. she doesnt always recognize when i am asking her questions. she repeats what i say instead of answering me. and she doesnt respond to other people when they ask her questions. she usually ignores strangers. i think she may be a little shy
|

replied June 14th, 2010
Thanks motherofhighspirtedones, hearing someone else has has the same issue and hearing good results makes me feel calmer. My son has worked with speech therapist and they said he was a little behind at the beginning but toward the end they said he was doing well. I guess I am just used to girls and how much they talk..lol. Thanks again
|

replied July 22nd, 2010
about my baby
my daughter is 2 years old and a half. She can count 1-10,knows her first/last name, her age. She knows most of the animals and knows the basic colors. Funny she knows who's the President of America and the country where she lives now. She moves a lot, dancing,running,jumping,hopping. She brushes her teeth,goes to shower (ofcourse im still there watching her). She just the one who get her clothes in the drawer and wear it. im so proud of her.
|
12 >>
Tags: age smart
Quick Reply