Medical Questions > Mental Health > Dyslexia Forum

Numerical dyslexia

I have always had MAJOR problems with math...and still do. I have managed to cope with this problem but am just curious...

1. I seem to turn numbers around.
2. I can't remember telephone numbers.
3. I have never been able to learn multiplication tables.
4. If I have the formula in front of me, I can work things out but don't ask me to work it out in my head or from memory.

Is this somehow related to dyslexia, even though my spelling, reading and writing skills is fine?

Also, another odd thing is that I am able to count, read and write in Binary without a problem or the need of a calculator...granted there is only two numericals in Binary...

Is my problem with maths/numbers possibly to do with how I learnt them rather than a brain issue?

Not really an issue...but like I said, just curious...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i have problems with math too but i dont beleive that its dyslexia related for me. i just cant compute. i have to use a calculater no matter how simple.
|
Users who thank TMJWorld for this post: ellyodd 

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I have problems with Math and just can't seem to get the hang of it, but I am really good in literary fields. I think that most people just have right or left brain dominance.

I also have the problem of leaving out letters or numbers, sometimes I switch numbers around when I'm taking down a phone number or money receipt, but I think it's just because we are tired and rushed and not paying close attention as much as we should.
|

replied February 7th, 2008
Experienced User
Thanks Tmddyan, mominashoe

That does make sense, seeing as 1 - I am more practically inclined than theoretical and 2 - I lean more towards the artistic side.

I seem to be questioning most things in my life right now, seeing as a few things, which I always assumed to be normal, has turned out to not be normal.

Thanks for the understanding
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
No problem. Im strong in other areas that make up for my math disability if you could say that.
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2008
Experienced User
Dyscalculia is a numerical learning disability / difficulty on the dyslexic spectrum. It's also called "number blindness" or "number dyslexia".
|

replied January 22nd, 2009
Parents
My wife is number dyslexic and our youngest son, at 19, has just been diagnosed as severely word dyslexic with very poor short term memory. I have just noticed that a problem I have had for many years, not seeing things that are there, is getting worse. For example, I look for a small object on a table, it isn't there, but a few minutes later, it is. Any idea if my wife's problem and mine are combinging to make my son the way he is?
|

replied January 24th, 2009
Experienced User
I have the same problem and have had for years.
|

replied July 11th, 2009
Experienced User
I've had it all my life. I have had to stay in social sciences avoid math, but other than that, knowing I can't do math, knowing I can't recall numbers, makes me a bit cautious
|
Quick Reply