Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

Body losing blood and needing transfusions

Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
My neighbor is 83 and all of a sudden she needs blood transfusions as
her body is losing blood.

She has not cut herself, does not have blood in her stools etc and
if anyone out there has an explanation please let me know.

2/5/08
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mlc1966
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi there I am not able to be of much help in this but I might think that your neigbour might be anaemic, is she a vegetarian or doesn't like to eat meat? My advise is that she should have some meat intake (red meat especially because it is a good source of Vitamin B12) if she is a vegetarian than I guess there is a Vitamin B12 pills.
|

replied February 16th, 2008
Loosing Blood
I am a 56 year old female. I am loosing blood and so far they can't figure out what is going on. I had a 4 unit transfusion 5 weeks ago and a 3 unit yesterday. I feel like a pin cushion. Now comes serious tests. With no medical insurance they were hoping they could keep the expenses down. No way. I will keep you informed. Any ideas???
|

replied July 29th, 2013
You may have something similar to what my son-in-law had. He was diagnosed at MD Anderson as having leukemia. He was given pints and pints of blood didn't know where it was going. once given the blood he got ok. Until a year later it came back. He was seen by another doctor and doctor looked at him, ask him how long had he had that grey hair. (not an old man)He told him by looking at him what was wrong with him. It was that his stomach was not absorbing vitamin B12. He put him on vitamin B12 for the rest of his life. The dr. told him that this was a lot of times mistaken for leukemia. In hopes that this might help.
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I am not a professional help but have you try asking them to run a leukemia test? I am not trying to scare you but it's better to find out anything that might be likely. Sorry not much help.
|

replied February 17th, 2008
Leukemia I believe has to do with white cells. My red cells is the problem. My doctor hasn't ran the most simple tests. Like a stool sample to see if I'm bleeding. I'm going to suggest that Monday. Blood cells can be all different shaps and that can give them a clue on what is going on.
|

replied April 26th, 2008
losing blood
Hello,

My sister in law who is 69 years old has been losing blood on a huge scale since around 10 years.

She needs a blood transfusion of around 2-3 pints every second week.(true!)
On numerous occasions she has had her insides thoroughly checked out.Including miniture cameras, and still nobody has any idea as to why this is happening to her.
The lost blood cannot be seen.
After a week to two weeks she gets so weak that she can hardly stand.I cannot believe that this has been going on for so long and she is still with us!

I´m sorry not to offer any suggestion.I could suggest finding another doctor.

Welshtaffy
|

replied May 3rd, 2008
Re: losing blood
You might have the doctor check for a Myeloproliferative disorder. Lana8

welshtaffy wrote:
Hello,

My sister in law who is 69 years old has been losing blood on a huge scale since around 10 years.

She needs a blood transfusion of around 2-3 pints every second week.(true!)
On numerous occasions she has had her insides thoroughly checked out.Including miniture cameras, and still nobody has any idea as to why this is happening to her.
The lost blood cannot be seen.
After a week to two weeks she gets so weak that she can hardly stand.I cannot believe that this has been going on for so long and she is still with us!

I´m sorry not to offer any suggestion.I could suggest finding another doctor.

Welshtaffy
|

replied October 21st, 2009
Losing blood but not sure where it goes
my grandmother has the same symptoms described here. Losing blood and needing blood transfusions every other week. no blood in stools. all blood tests ok. feels better after transfusions but soon becomes very weak w chest pain and the cycle continues. Any help is appreciated
|

replied July 29th, 2013
Same with son-in-law. It was like of absorbing vitamin B12 in the stomach. Had all kinds of test. They couldn't find where the blood was going even transfusions of blood was going somewhere. They kept giving him blood. He would get so weak and it got to where the doctors saw his blood work and say he should have been dead. He was rushed to er and that's when they gave him transfusions. I sure hope this will be of someone out there. See my rely above
|
Quick Reply