Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

spotting after missed pill

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
During my 2nd week.. I missed my pill on Weds. I took it Thursday (when I rembered) along with Thursdays pill. I was spotting. It went away on Friday but then came back on Saturday and I've had it ever since. It's heavy spotting with a little blood.

I don't want to be spotting for the next week and a half.. and then have my period. Can I avoid this?

Should I stop my pills, let my period come, and then start again on Sunday? Or can I start a new pack tonight and maybe that will stop the spotting and make me just miss a period?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper red72cup
|

replied February 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
NO, do not stop your pills at all!!

You NEED ALL your active pills in order to be protected!

There is a rule of thumb with birth control.. You need at LEAST 21 active pills to be protected from pregnancy, then you can have a period 'break'.

You could take 22 active pills, 32, 50, 60... so on.. JUST no less than 21. This was all figured out during testing of birth control pills.

You will not AUTOMATICALLY skip a period by skipping placebo pills, it takes time for your body to synch up like that. You could end up with spotting for 2-3 weeks.

WHENEVER you miss a pill spotting is hgihly likely to happen. Your best bet is to keep on with your normal pill schedule and also have your period week.

IF you try to alter it you will likely end up with even longer spotting.
|
Users who thank red72cup for this post: Bubble1111 

So wait... if I had unprotected sex before I stopped my pills... and then I stop them... I won't be protected???? That doesn't make sense to me if it already happened, you know?
|

I thought altering would maybe make the spotting go away by starting a new pack.
|

replied February 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I am a health professional.. I deal with birth control,abortion and womens health DAILY.

SPERM can live inside of you for 5-7 days.

Missing 3 pills puts you at HIGH HIGH risk of ovulation. You ovulate, then that sperm can fertilize an EGG .

You may think WOW, that seems odd.. BUT SO many women who come for an abortion do not realize that you cannot do that with your pills.

THIS is often how women become pregnant during birth control use, they do not understand these things.

You may be wondering "WHY can I have a 7 day break?" That is easy. During PILL testing trials they found that taking at LEAST 21 pills before a "period break" will prevent ovulation during those 7 days ONLY.

This is why starting a NEW pack late is dangerous, you can ovulate during that time.

I thought altering would maybe make the spotting go away by starting a new pack

NO. You could have spotting during what would have been your period week, and then have spotting during the next 2-3 weeks.

You ever see those commercials for "Seasonale". where you only have 4 periods a year?

MOST women will bleed for 3-4 weeks while their body 'learns' to skip a period. Skipping is not instant, it takes time.
|

replied December 9th, 2011
I got my period two weeks ago and this past week i took a pill wed, thur, friday, forgot saturdays took sunday and MOndays and forgot thursday. Yesterday adn Today i have had brown stuff when I wipe. Is it implantation bleeding? Ir because I missed 2 pills?
|

replied November 17th, 2012
Spotting after missed pills. Please help!
I missed two bc pills in the middle of the pack. I continued with the pack as normal. Within two days I began spotting. It has continued for the past week and a few days. I'm due for my normal period on Monday. I am still spotting and I'm worried. I finished the remainder of the pack of pills... But I don't get why I am still spotting, if it will affect my period and if I need to see a doctor. I'm scared that I have messed up my body/cycle. Help me please!
|

replied February 14th, 2013
Just a question about stopping early
Hey I have a question, I stupidly missed today, and I have started spotting pretty bad, which is when I realised, its about four hours after I usually take em. I am only three days away (including today) from stopping taking the active pills, I am currently not using it for as a contraceptive for at least a week. Should I or can I stop early? I haven't missed any pills up to this point. Also I lost one of my active pills under the batheroom sink.
|

replied April 3rd, 2013
missed pill
I missed a pill in week one. Took it the next day then missed another one in week 2 I had sex within this week what's the chances of me being pregnant?
|

replied April 3rd, 2013
I missed a pill in week one. Took it the next day then missed another one in week 2 I had sex within this week what's the chances of me being pregnant?
|

replied December 28th, 2013
I ran out of the contraceptive pill, my period came early so I got another supply and started taking them on day one of this new bleed and I am still spotting on day 14. Is this normal after a short break from the pill?? I am so scared the spotting is light only browm/pink discharge noticeable after peeing seeing it on the tissue paper but each time you google it says cervical cancer etc Sad
|

replied January 21st, 2014
Could i be pregnant?
I missed over seven days of pills and had unprotected sex, then a period came on the time it wasn't supposed to which would be due to the missed pills. that was about a week or two ago, now it is suppose to be the time for period but instead i got spotting more brownish and very very light only lasted like a day or two, could i be pregnant, or would it be two early to tell, and yes trying here! ?
|

replied January 21st, 2014
I missed over seven days of pills and had unprotected sex, then a period came on the time it wasn't supposed to which would be due to the missed pills. that was about a week or two ago, now it is suppose to be the time for period but instead i got spotting more brownish and very very light only lasted like a day or two, could i be pregnant, or would it be two early to tell, and yes trying here! ?
|

replied October 1st, 2014
I just finished my period on Sunday September 28th. I have been on birth control for almost three years. I rarely miss my pills but I missed a pill on Monday. I started my new pack Sunday. Will I experience bleeding also??
|