Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Thrush and candida fungal infection

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I gave birth 14 days ago and have thrush since two days after giving birth. It is so itchy and it is getting absolutely unbearable I am in tears a lot. I have tried the caneston cream and diflukan tablet but it is not working, also tried bathing in yoghurt. I am pretty sure that is related to the loss of blood from my uterus, as I always suffer from thrush at the end of a period usually. Is there anything I can do to stop the itching? Please help

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2008
Pregnancy Answer A3610
A fungal infection of the vagina is usually caused by Candida albicans. A candida infection is considered an endogenous infection because Candida is normally present in the vagina. Itching, burning urination and white discharge are the main symptoms of Candida vaginal infection (soor vaginale). Canesten is very efficient in treating Candida infection. An acute vaginal Candida infection is usually treated with Canesten-vaginalets (pills that are put inside the vagina) and cream. But these tablets are prescribed by a gynecologist.

In your case, the fungal infection could be chronic. In cases of chronic fungal infections, a microbiological examination is requested to isolate the fungus-type and to check its sensitivity to various antifungal drugs. In addition to local therapy, systemic (oral) therapy is also requested. You can consult your gynecologist about the symptoms in order to have a thorough and precise diagnosis.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.