Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

abnormal bleeding while using mirena (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I have been using the mirena for about a year and a couple of months ago i started spotting it was a brownish color. well now its like everytime i walk alot or have sex anything really i start bleeding this time it is a bright red blood and i get cramps in my lower stomach on the left side and in my left hip. can you help me to know what is going on.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper red72cup
|

replied February 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Sure I can tell you what is going on..

Mirena causes the uterine lining to become VERY thin, as you probably were told. Now over time this causes about 20% of women using Mirena to have a loss in periods.

SOMETIMES this thinness can act like an open sore, and cause daily spotting or bleeding. This IS normal, although it is a pain in the butt.

MOST women on Mirena do not lose their periods, they just have a HUGE decrease in the total amount of blood loss.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
Curious, I too have been having bleeding after intercourse. Now boyfriend and I think it could be the thread he feels, which hurts him! Could the thread pokinh him, affecting me inside? I don't feel pressure though. But, I feel I would need the thread somehow cut. I really didnt know what I was getting into :/
Need opionions...
|

replied May 15th, 2012
Thought it was the string.
I had this problem and after an ultrasound i discovered my body was expelling the Mirena.
|

replied January 22nd, 2009
Mirena
I have been having the same symptoms after having intercourse. I am glad to hear that this not abnormal.
|

replied January 26th, 2009
I have also had the same problem even with the whole cramping thing it totally sucks, my docter told me this is gonna happen but if the cramping never goes away this is when to be concerned. I am gonna have this thing taken out, I am tired of hurting all the time.
|

replied February 8th, 2009
Mirena
I have been using the Mirena since October 31, 2008. I had a babygirl in September and have been bleeding since and while they put in the Mirena. I went to see my PCP and they checked to see if the Mirena was still in place which it was so they put me on birth control pills to regulate my period. Since they did that i have been discharging a huge amount of brown stuff & i don't know what is going on. Can you help me in anyway?
|

replied February 10th, 2009
mirena
With the uterus thinning and being like an open wound, is it ok to keep it in place? Should I be concerned with my uterus so thin that it would bleed during and/or after intercourse. What about the risk of infection? Shouldn't any "open sore" be treated? Is there any long term side effects associated or has there ever been any long term testing of these iuds. Personally I think any bleeding not associated with a menstruation is not normal and plan to have mine removed.
|

replied February 13th, 2009
Mirena
I am 24 and i am on my 2nd Mirena coil and i am 15months into my 2nd one. My 1st stopped my periods for 2 and a half years then i had periods for the last 2 and a half, also the cramps and strange pains in different ares worried me but this is normal. My 2nd one seems to give me more pain than the 1st and i have not had a period at all and i am 15months into this 2nd one. I get brownish discharge and its all part of the Mirena coil, it does suck as sex hurts 9 times out of ten, i get this horrid brown stuff and these pains i can not describe but i have to have this as the pill nearly killed me. I have done so much research on the Mirena and these are all the gifts it gives you so please dont feel like you are alone.
|

replied February 13th, 2009
Mirena
I myself also had the mirena, if you feel pain in your side or anything that doesnt seem right you need to get it checked. The mirena might have perforated your uterus. I had the mirena for 3 or 4 mths and i found out it perforated my uterus. It also caused me to have a cyst and an enlarged ovary. I still get pain and my ovary is also still enlarged so it can cause problems after getting it removed. I wouldnt suggest the mirena to anyone
|

replied April 18th, 2012
I also got a cyst after placement on Mirena. Im sorry! I really feel at a loss. I dont know what else to do. Srry! In need of opinions...
|

replied February 14th, 2009
Mirena
I do have strange pains and some times i am screaming because it hurts so much. I am sorry to hear that you had those problems and i think i will get myself checked out. Do they scan you to see if you have priblems or do they have to take the coil out?
I new the risks when i had it fitted and they told me on the 2nd one that it could risk my chances of having children as it damages you inside. It just sucks because i am not ready for children yet and i can not have any other birth control. The thing with the different birth control options is that they have different effects for different people, just like i did with the pill and like you did with the coil so do not be worried to get the coil or anything else at that matter because we are not all the same
|

replied July 26th, 2009
I had Mirena put in a week ago and couldn't stand it, so I took it out myself last night! I'd never had issues with bad body odor and was perspiring terribly just a few hours after a shower. Also, those so-called "strings" were very painful at the ends, since they were digging into sensitive tissue.
I didn't want to wait and see what other symptoms would occur and just pulled it out carefully.
I got on my knees and relaxed and pulled on the strings very slowly.
I feel fine now but still a little bleeding.
I'll post again soon with an update on how this went.
|

replied September 6th, 2009
i got a mirena inserted and since than my bleeding didn`t stop.(i wasnt on my period when-i had it placed 2 days after an unprotected sex -thinking it has emergency contraceptive value like the copper one(which was wrong).Couple of days later i assumed my period started,(ofcourse immediately after insertion and later i got bleeding too.) but it had been around 15 days or more(and maybe 3 weeks after mirena insertion) i still get bright red blood unlike normal times when it gets lighter and lighter and disappears in about a week. This bleeding doesnt look like it will end any soon.Could i be perforated or sth?
|

replied May 29th, 2012
I have had the mirena for 3 years with no major complications and very little bleeding, but now all of a sudden I'm having the same issue. Constant bleeding with no end in sight. I spoke to my doctor on the phone who said the mirena may no longer be in the right place or my body may be expelling it. After being on this site I'm going to have it removed at my next appointment.
|

replied February 24th, 2010
abnormal bleeding while using mirena
Im so glad I found this post I was begining to think I was alone in all of this. I got minera inseted on Oct 2008 (1 yr and 4 months now) and I have always had the constant spotting and "brownish" discharge and it is so annoying having to use mini sanitary pads all the time. I barely have any heaving bleeding or bright red blood. but sometimes it is more than just a brown discharge and its just a bit of blood but constant... this last one has lasted over 1 month!!! I havent experienced any pain related to the periods or mirena itself but it doesnt let me be at ease when im having sex with my husband because I constantly stain my sheets with the brown discharge or it might be a "good" day when im not bleeding then in the middle of sex i realize im bleeding AGAIN! my doctor says its normal and thats just the effect it has on me in particular but that is nothing to worry about.... I just keep thinking he has got to be missing something.... (SIGH)
|

replied July 30th, 2011
Mirena and bleeding during sex
I have had the Mirena for about 9 months now. I was seeing someone when I first had it put in, but we broke up soon after and only had sex twice after I got the Mirena. I had the bleeding/brown discharge for the first 3 months, then it finally went away and all seemed normal again. I didn't have sex again for months, but have 3 times again now, and I bleed EVERY time! It is SO embarassing and upsetting. I feel like I need to have it removed also.
|

replied March 11th, 2010
I have had the Mirena in for 20 months now, I did spot for the first year but nothing heavy, after this I have had no periods and only a very occasional spotting since then but no pain. Then yesterday I had a lot of red blood not sure what this means yet if it carries on I will contact my GP. Has this happened to anyone?
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
I have not had any heavy bleeding until today. I am bleeding so bad that I am wearing super tampons, never have before in my life! I am also having huge clots.
|

replied April 14th, 2010
bleeding, bleeding and more bleeding
I had it installed couple weeks before period and it went fine and spotted for 2 days then just 3 days befor period is due i start bleeding. I am thinking my period is early because sometimes this happens. But sinse then i keep bleeding. it was heavier in the period due time but after that it''s spotting on and off and i think i had one day off in there. today i am on day 15 and i think this sucks big time. i wonder if i made the right contraceptive choice.

We dont have sex when i am bleeding so i think 15 days without beeing able to do anything is terrible. i dont even know when i''m gonna stop. does anybody experience this? plus there is a lack of energy like i am lacking iron from bleeding or something...i am so depressed....
|

replied April 21st, 2010
Mirena
OMG i am having the same problem I have had mine in for almost a year now and I cant stand the bleeding anymore.My hubby is alway mad cause i dont wanna have sex but what can you do guys dont understan how bad it sucks to bleed ike 25 out of 30 days a month. I have a call into my doc to see about this. I am also depressed all of the time and never have the energy to do anything. I am glad I am not the only one who experiences these isseus.
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
Constant Bleeding! Mirena
Yeap, that is why im looking this up! I had Mirena inserted about 6months after i had my daughter, (about 2 years ago) At first everything was fine (other than the fact it hurt like crazy being put in) but for the last 6months or so it is CONSTANTLY making me spot! MAYBE a day or two goes by but not many! I dont know what is going on but My DR moved away, so it looks like its time to find a new one and get this thing removed!
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
OMG I'm so glad I found this forum, I thought I was going mad!!! This is so me!! I've had Mirena for a year, I'm 40yrs old with 4 kids, I dont want anymore and medically I cant risk having anymore, I was advised the Mirena was my best option. But I've had 2 months in the last year when I havent bled, I finally thought It was all sorted and my body had settled down, but nowI'm bleeding fresh bright red blood and have had enough. I too am depressed all the time and just want to sit and cry, I'm phoning docs 1st thing Monday and making appointment to get this removed. I had the basic copper coil before and although my periods lasted 9 days at least I knew where i stood and didnt have to wear a sanitary towel everywhere I went just in case!!! I look forward to being able to wear my white linen trousers again!!!!!!
|

replied May 26th, 2010
I'm also experiencing lack of motivation/energy and some depression since I got my Mirena IUD in October 2009.

My bleeding I believe is gone... I had a little brown discharge this morning and then nothing.. and it was about ... 3-4 days late.

I get horrible!!! mid cycle cramps, like right around ovulation. I'm getting really tired of it to be honest.

However, I have three children and I do want one more. But not for a couple years.

Do I just deal with feeling like this? I don't want to be so crabby all the time. This is worse than being pregnant and moody!
|

replied June 12th, 2010
Please help
Ive had mirena for 2.5 years. My periods have been very light with a faded pink color Or a brownish discharge. now im experiencing what i call another period but this time its read and its lasted 5 days. im a bit concerned b/c i rarely bleed red since having mirena. has anyone else experienced it? is it actually possible for the mirena to be misplaced? and how would I know if it is? Ive never been able to feel the threads. any answers are appreciated.
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
Mine has just started doing the same thing. I am bleeding bright red and having huge clots. I have been more sexually active lately. Before this I only spotted one day or two out of the month.
|

replied October 10th, 2011
I havent had a period in at least 6-7 months and all of a sudden i have had 3 periods in the past month, each time after intercourse! I am cramping so bad right now. i am going to have this thing removed tomorrow!
|

replied June 12th, 2010
Please help
Ive had mirena for 2.5 years. My periods have been very light with a faded pink color Or a brownish discharge. now im experiencing what i call another period but this time its red and its lasted 5 days. im a bit concerned b/c i rarely bleed red since having mirena. has anyone else experienced it? is it actually possible for the mirena to be misplaced? and how would I know if it is? Ive never been able to feel the threads. any answers are appreciated.
|

replied June 14th, 2010
Mirena
I have had mine for about 6 months now. This is when my doc told me i would most likely stop bleeding.. and every month i bleed like 3 weeks out of the 4. And now its gettin to the point i have a very light watery pinkish brown discharge? anyone have this or know whats going on! I know they say you cant get prego.. and it can cause death if you do and what not... but also my nipples have all of a sudden darkend to?
|

replied June 28th, 2010
I have had mirena for 15 mths. After about 3 mths my periods completely stopped, and now all of the sudden I have started again. It is bright red blood just like a period. I even had the cramping. I know is IS normal to not have periods, but is it normal to go a year without one then suddenly start?
|