Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Urine smells like popcorn

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
For the last 48 hours I have noticed that my urine has the distinct smell of popcorn and though I drink a lot of coffee in the morning, I usually consume a gallon or more of water before I go to bed. I also take melatonin each evening five (5) - 5mg tablets before retiring each evening. Can the melatonin cause this sudden smell or is it possibly something else?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jamie3
|

replied February 2nd, 2009
Mine Too!!!
Mine does too, but it's just been the last couple of days or so. I don't know why it would smell that way, but it's freaking me out. I don't drink coffee or take Melatonin, though I do drink enormous amounts of water daily.
|

replied May 3rd, 2009
Smell blood in urine
Mine has smelled like pop corn for 5 or 6 years now,Also testing shows red blood cells in urine. Had all kinds of tests found nothing wrong.
Did nor have this in my early 50's now in late 50's this has happened.
I have been on blood pressure medication and lipator for past 5 years to deal with moderate levels of blood pressure increases. Who knows? Maybe its all the plastic and food preservatives we eat now. Supposedly human bodies decompose slower than any equal animal carcass because of all the accumulated molecularly stable food preservatives and plastic by products bound up with the proteins in our bodies.
|

replied November 25th, 2011
Mine too! For the last couple of days I've been noticing this. I also feel very weak and achy. I work 12 hour shifts, 3 days in a row (3rd shift) and am all mess up for my eating and sleeping scheduel. I'm also taking pain killers (vicodin) for my intense back pain (pinched nerve). So I know there's a lot going on in my body and it could be from a lot of different things. My schedule is changing in a few weeks so hopefully I'll have a better routine for everything.
|
Quick Reply