Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Positive Pregnancy Test After Partial Hysterectomy (Page 1)

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
I had a partial hysterectomy 9 yrs ago. I recently had a positive pregnancy test. I have all symptoms of pregnancy, even growing out of my clothes. I am waiting for my ultrasound. I am kinda scared why they didnt do one right away. How is this possible?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gsiverson
|

replied June 10th, 2004
Feeling Pregnant Too
Hi

i had a partial hysterectomy in 1994 in san diego, ca. Right now I am currently having symptoms of being 5 months or more pregnant. The middle of my stomach is hard, I am pouchy, and feel a type of kicking/thumping too but all test have come back neg. I had an ultrasound done last week and the results were weak...The coundnt find one of my overies, my spline is shifted to the right a bit and the have no clue what the movement could be!

So if you have gotten any info since you posted this please pass it on to my because I am confused and getting very scared
|

replied February 6th, 2014
I do understand I am the some way have movements, my stomach is hard and I am always eating.i go for an ultrasound febuary 11,2014
|

replied July 17th, 2004
Pregnant After Partial Hysterectomy
Am having same symptoms and would be very interested to find out your results if you're willing to share them.
|

replied October 4th, 2004
Re: Pregnant After Partial Hysterectomy
specialk7785 wrote:
am having same symptoms and would be very interested to find out your results if you're willing to share them.

am havin same symptoms of pregnancy and had a partial hysterectomy last year..Left my ovaries, tubes said they were good so now am worried cuz am showin all signs of my previous pregnancies. Any help would be appreciated.
|

replied October 4th, 2004
Experienced User
Gems, when you say a partial hyster, i'm guessing that you mean that you still have your ovaries.

There are several ovarian tumors that can cause false positives for pregnancies. Some are benign conditions that can be cured by removing the cysts, others can indicate cancer.

There are only 12 cases of women becoming pregnant after hysterectomy in the past 60 years, so it seems unlikely that would be the cause.

I'm glad you're having an ultrasound, please come back and let us know how it turns out.

Take care.
|

replied October 5th, 2004
specialk7785 wrote:
am having same symptoms and would be very interested to find out your results if you're willing to share them.
|

replied October 5th, 2004
Hi i'm 28yrs old and had a partial hysterectomy, I have all the symptoms of being pregnant.. Is there any possible way I can get pregnant. I have milk comming out of my breast.. If anyone knows if u can get pregnant or not, please let me know. I talk to my doc and he dont have answers for me. If there is a way let me know..Thank you
|

replied October 26th, 2004
Very Interested Preg. After Hysterectomy
juniper wrote:
gems, when you say a partial hyster, i'm guessing that you mean that you still have your ovaries.

There are several ovarian tumors that can cause false positives for pregnancies. Some are benign conditions that can be cured by removing the cysts, others can indicate cancer.

There are only 12 cases of women becoming pregnant after hysterectomy in the past 60 years, so it seems unlikely that would be the cause.

I'm glad you're having an ultrasound, please come back and let us know how it turns out.

Take care.
I really want another baby and i've had a partial hysterectomy...
|

replied October 28th, 2004
Experienced User
When I looked up partial hysterectomy on google, the site it gave me said that means that they took the uterus, but left the ovaries and tubes...Is that correct? If so, i'm thinking it would be very hard to be pregnant, since that requires an egg to implant into the uterus...I suppose an ectopic pregnancy would be possible, but that's not something you would want.

Daile
|

replied December 5th, 2004
Partial Hysterectomy And Pregnancy
I am 27 yrs old and I had a partial hysterectomy in 2001 and I am having symptoms of pregnancy here recently, just like the ones with my son who is now 6. Any update on your tests?
|

replied December 8th, 2004
Help!!!
I had a partial hysterectomy back in feb. Of this year. Been sick when I wake up in the mornings for about 2 weeks now and also have tender breasts. Is it really possible. Wonder if I should take a test and find out since they are wanting to take my ovaries in about a month or so. Somebody please help me. Is it possible to get pregnant and caryy to full term after have a partial? Oh, by the way, a partial means that they take the uterus and leave the tubes and the ovaries! Just thought you'd like to know!
|

replied December 8th, 2004
Experienced User
Re: Help!!!
alisha_03 wrote:
is it possible to get pregnant and caryy to full term after have a partial?

without a uterus it's not possible to carry a pregnancy to full term. A baby demands a lot of blood and the uterus is designed to provide a safe place where the baby can grow and then be pushed out through the vagina. No other place in the body is able to accomodate this.

If the pregnancy happens in the tubes, the growing fetus will eventually rupture the tubes and cause bleeding and threaten the mother's life.

If it's at all possible that you're pregnant, you should give your doctor a call. Pregnancy symptoms can indicate something more serious.

Take care.
|

replied January 21st, 2005
Wanting to Have a Baby
I had a partial hysterectomy in 1998 , after I had my second set of twins.
I have remarried now and my new hubby doesnt have any childern of his own ,eventhough he loves and accepts my childern as his own , I want to have a child for him and for me. Doctors told me everytime I get pregnant I would have twins or more, I have never took fertility drugs . With todays technology , it looks like there could be some way to be able to have a baby after a partial. Please let me know your veiw on this ...
|

replied April 21st, 2005
Wanting Another Baby
I would love to know if there is any way possible to have another baby after partial hysterectomy. I had a partial for health reasons but new husband and I would love to have one together. You would think with all of the new medical technology that there would be some way for this to happen.
|

replied April 21st, 2005
Re: Pregnancy After Partial Hysterectomy
I would think that you could not get pregnant if the uterus is out. The sperm would have to travel through the cervix into the uterus and into the tubes for fertilization. Without the uterus, how is pregnancy possible. I had a complete hysterectomy four weeks ago, because I felt something hard in my uterus and I got scared. My first reaction was a tumor or a fibroid. Went to the doctor and asked to have a pap smear, a pelvic sonogram. She said she felt a mass in my uterus and said it could possibly be a fibroid. Well to make a long story short. I had a tumor on my left ovary the size of a grapefruit. I never knew I had this thing growing in me. No pain. The thing is is that I looked like I was about five months pregnant. My stomach was getting bigger and bigger and I would feel bloated all of the time. I tell you I never wanted to have a complete hysterectomy, but my first thought was to live. The gynecologist said that it could possibly be cancer because of how fast it was growing and that it was septated. All these thoughts just enter your mind. You want to live, not die. My advice to you who feel that you could be pregnant, is get a transvaginal ultrasound done to check for cysts, tumors on your ovary/ovaries. Again positive pregnancy tests in someone who is not likely to become pregnant could possibly mean cancer. My tumor was benign, but after what I went through with getting scared, I do not want to go through that again . At 41 and having no more children, I thought it would be wise for me. My gynecologist said even with the ovaries gone there is always a possibility you can still get ovarian cancer, as crazy as it seems without the ovaries being there. Although the ovaries are gone, the cells of the ovaries still remain and they in turn could turn later on to cancer. I never knew that, but I believe it is possible. There are a lot of women who get ovarian cancer as young as their early 20s and there should be more awareness about ovarian cancer. I just wanted to share this with all of you so that you can be aware of this.
|

replied January 17th, 2008
pregnant after hystorectomy
me and my boyfriend tried for years. and when he was in iraq i was raped and got pregnant. so yes it is possible. i did have an abortion though because of the rape. and we are now trying again. and my hystorectomy was in 2000. i was 21 and now i am 28
|

replied January 17th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Re: pregnant after hystorectomy
elementpage wrote:
me and my boyfriend tried for years. and when he was in iraq i was raped and got pregnant. so yes it is possible. i did have an abortion though because of the rape. and we are now trying again. and my hystorectomy was in 2000. i was 21 and now i am 28

You had a hysterectomy and still got pregnant and had an abortion? That is truly amazing. Where did they find the fetus? How was the abortion performed?

Good luck in the future.
|

replied May 9th, 2008
Re: pregnancy after partial hystorectomy
Just found this site today 09-05-2008 glad to know you are all out there. I had a Partial Hystorectomy 10months ago and have been having pregnancy symptons since about december 2007. Yes it is weird, would like to know what your doctors said, im going next week to see mine, and yes im scared too. It anyone would be kind enough to let me know. thank you
|

replied June 26th, 2008
partial hysterectomy
hey guys,
i had a partial hyster in april this year have had a normal period at the time i would have gotten it and havent had one now for 7weeks, like the rest of you im beginning to think bugger im pregnant im having the signs of pregnancy. with my partial hyster ihad the left ovary/tube and endometrial resection so i still have the right side and the uterus my gynae told me there was no way i could get pregnant and if i did i would be his case study obviously my response is only if i get something out of it apart from a baby. i will wait for another month before i jump the gun. if you have your uterus and one functional ovary/tube remaining it is possible to fall pregnant but if youve had an endometrial resection the chances are 1% of falling pregnant apparently. if i was you girls i would seek a 2nd opinion with a gynae.
cheers
|

replied July 21st, 2008
positive pregnancy test after hysterectomy
It is common for perimenopausal, postmenopausal and after hysterectomy women, esp. >55 and some 40-55, to have low levels of pituitary (not the usual source) hCG produced. YOU ARE NOT PREGNANT. This has been reported in the literature for 30 years, so physicians should be familiar with this phenomenon. It is called "background hCG" and can easily be distinguished from a trophoblastic malignancy by 2-3 weeks of oral high dose progesterone birth control pills. Pituitary hCG is suppressed by the pill. Pituitary hCG is the cause of increased serum or urine hCG results in nonpregnant women. You can read more if you Google: pituitary hCG. The ovaries keep the pituitary hCG in check, but when they stop working or are removed, then the pituitary hCG will occur.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile